Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
JacobMiW
JacobMiW began at the beginning.

Device: TF300
eTextbooks for Kindle *major help needed*

Hi guys, I'm new here, so be nice to me And I will return the favor.

I decided to go back to school for my master's degree this fall, and the first week just finished. Holy crap, longest week ever! Because of my decision to return to school and my working a full-time job, I wanted something easy and portable so I could do my homework or papers while I'm at work doing nothing. Kill two birds with one stone, I suppose.

So this led me to buying an Asus Transformer TF300 tablet. Love this little beast.

Amazon had a lot of my textbooks, which I went ahead and bought. Only to find out they will only be viewed on the PC or Kindle Fire, which angered me.

I stripped the DRM, converted them into a few formats (EPUB, MOBI, PDF). None of which I am happy with on the tablet. I want to be able to, if possible, view the textbook exactly the way I can see it on the PC. This means no broken charts, no paragraphs getting cut off and/or being in the wrong spot. And don't even get me started on the margins, it doesn't seem to know that I have a 10 inch screen.

So does anyone have any kind of advice how to make the Kindle conversion more streamless? Maybe a different mobile reader format for the tablet? Maybe tweaking settings (which I've also tried to do).

Any kind of help and/or advice will be much, much, much appreciated.

Jacob
JacobMiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Have you tried Amazon App for Android and viewing the original files via that App?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Which textbooks, exactly?

I'm betting that the textbooks in question are Amazon's PDF format (Kindle Print Ready). That's about the only reason I can think of for the ebook to not work on the Kindle Android app.

The good news is that you should be able to extract the PDF contained in the file. Then all you need to read that is a decent PDF app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, etextbooks, kindle, school