Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #1156
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I see you've got the Kindle Fire.
Being Amazon/Kindle fan, I'm extremely interested in it.
In comparison: Would you say it's about on par with iPad and the likes?
Any idea, how much of the Amazon content I could use outside of the US? I guess, eBooks shouldn't be a problem. But movies and other multimedia content probably not respectively only via PC?
I've read, Kindle Fire's interface very much is built around the Amazon content. I'm not sure, whether it would kill the fun, if I only could use, let's say, 25% of the interface and the rest would lead to frustrating messages such as "not yet for your region"...
What's your gut feeling about this? Kindle Fire still fun outside of the US or totally frustrating?
Well, Fire is a "different animal". Its price and size put the device on a complete different range than iPads. Is not as responsive as my iPad and too small for movies. However, is way more portable than 10 inches tablets. So, in my opinion, I would not even compare or say which one is worse or better ... would be like apple vs oranges.

Mine was result of an impulse buy plus, I wanted a lighter reading device (tablet). My iPad2 is wonderful but too big for reading at bed time.

Not so sure about which modules would be blocked if you use a Kindle Fire in Europe, but I would not spend time, money and energy tricking the system to make it work. It would be too much of a pain and effort when you can basically buy any other cheap Android tablet and get similar functionality.

The beauty of the Fire, besides its price, is Amazon USA store's integration. If blocked, I see no reason to buy this device.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #1157
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
"Outside your region", a simple VPN should cover that?
Hmm...

what about the content itself? You can hide or change your IP using a VPN, but what about purchases and downloads? You must use a cc for that, which is associated with your postal address I think. Some books may be even blocked or not available for download.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #1158
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmm...

what about the content itself? You can hide or change your IP using a VPN, but what about purchases and downloads? You must use a cc for that, which is associated with your postal address I think. Some books may be even blocked or not available for download.
Actually, Amazon is a lot stricter with Geo-restrictions for apps, music, and video than they are with ebooks.

Even though it is quite easy to circumvent the restrictions in any case, I do agree with you and think that the Fire is rather lacking as a general use tablet. You can pretty much access all the same services on any old Android tablet. I am doing that on my TouchPad running ICS right now, and a 9.7" tablet is much better for videos.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #1159
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Not so sure about which modules would be blocked if you use a Kindle Fire in Europe, but I would not spend time, money and energy tricking the system to make it work. It would be too much of a pain and effort when you can basically buy any other cheap Android tablet and get similar functionality.

The beauty of the Fire, besides its price, is Amazon USA store's integration. If blocked, I see no reason to buy this device.
Yes, when my husband started to show an interest in the Fire, I told him more or less the same. So, I got him the Lenovo Ideapad A1. Which is cheaper and has all the features the Fire is missing, such as volume buttons, SD-card slot and Android Market access... Especially as I found out I can order from Amazon.de without paying S&H (which made Amazon.de around €50 cheaper than any other Dutch webstore which carried the device)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #1160
ktjw
ktjw began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Question will Sony Format read on a Kindle or Nook?

I am thining of getting a Kindle Fire or color Nook, but need to know if all the books I bought for my Sony E Reader will be readable on either of these. I figured you would know since you have at least 1 of everything. Thanks.
ktjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #1161
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjw View Post
I am thining of getting a Kindle Fire or color Nook, but need to know if all the books I bought for my Sony E Reader will be readable on either of these. I figured you would know since you have at least 1 of everything. Thanks.
Not out of the box. With a little effort you can install the Sony reader app for Android on the Fire. Or convert the files to mobi.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #1162
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
"Outside your region", a simple VPN should cover that?
Question 1 is, whether you can use VPN directly on the Kindle Fire. Going through a PC = using only 25% of the features on Kindle Fire itself, would be quite inconvenient.
I hated this on nook classic for example. I had to buy the books on the PC via VPN and only then could download them via WiFi/3G on the nook. After a while there was a hack for VPN on nook itself, but it was a bit time consuming and the configuration got lost with every single firmware update.
Experience says: On a new gadget, in the first month or so, I'll buy stuff every single day. I'd like to do so on the gadget itself, else I wouldn't have to buy this stuff at all (I could convert eBooks via caliber, for example, instead of buying them again for the new gadget). Certainly would be way cheaper (I usually spend at least twice the buying price of the hardware for content in the first 2 to 4 weeks), but kills at least half the fun.

Question 2 is, whether VPN is working at all. For example, I never made it through the Google books checkout process. Obviously Google checks the credit card address and/or IP as well. Of course you can solve this as well (virtual credit card and such). But some of the tricks might not work on the gadget itself. And I usually find it too annoying to actually do so after a while (when the "new" factor has worn off).
On nook classic, for example, in the beginning I used my own SIM card and hacked the system accordingly. But at some stage I simply didn't want to reconfigure again after every single firmware update. At first this is fun ("cool, it's hackable"), after some time it's simply work ("oh man, I have to hack it again").
Meaning: Can you use all the features on the gadget itself, without spending too much time? A simple VPN, configured once on the unit, would be fine. But flashing firmware, hacking the system and such over time probably would annoy me and at some stage (2 months?) I'd stop bothering...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #1163
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You got me: I've got neither nook color, nor Kindle Fire.
But from what I've heard, you can open both of them, with some effort, to the Android market.
Meaning: You can install various reading apps on both.
Personally, I wouldn't rely on the Sony reader app to work. (Both easily could "sabotage" a competing app. It may or may not work for now, but you never know what happens after another firmware update).
I wouldn't be surprised, if both B&N and Amazon would kind of block this.
But Bluefire reader and other ePUB apps should be working fine.
So, in the "worst" case, you would have to strip the EPUBs from DRM and then side load them to a 3rd party reading app.
Kindle Fire, being Amazon, won't accept ePUBs in the native Amazon reader, which only allows for Mobipocket files (respectively the Amazon modification of AZW files). So you'll certainly need a 3rd party reading app or have to convert your files to Mobipocket.
nook color, using ePUBs itself, should be easier. You might not need a 3rd party app, but probably can sideload ePUBs directly to the native nook reader.
Anyway:
Option #1: Installing the Sony reader app. I wouldn't rely on it, being a "competitive" app, but it might work = no stripping from DRM, no conversion needed.
Option #2: Stripping the ePUBs from DRM and side loading them to the native readers. On nook without conversion (directly using the DRM-free ePUBs), on Kindle after converting the ePUBs to Mobipocket.
Option #3: Stripping the ePUBs from DRM, installing a 3rd party app on the gadget and side loading your ePUBs. Should be working and should be easy enough.

Meaning: You certainly will be able to use your ePUBs, but it might take some effort. But all of this is very well documented and you'll get all the support you need from the scene.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #1164
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Question 1 is, whether you can use VPN directly on the Kindle Fire. Going through a PC = using only 25% of the features on Kindle Fire itself, would be quite inconvenient.
I hated this on nook classic for example. I had to buy the books on the PC via VPN and only then could download them via WiFi/3G on the nook. After a while there was a hack for VPN on nook itself, but it was a bit time consuming and the configuration got lost with every single firmware update.
Experience says: On a new gadget, in the first month or so, I'll buy stuff every single day. I'd like to do so on the gadget itself, else I wouldn't have to buy this stuff at all (I could convert eBooks via caliber, for example, instead of buying them again for the new gadget). Certainly would be way cheaper (I usually spend at least twice the buying price of the hardware for content in the first 2 to 4 weeks), but kills at least half the fun.

Question 2 is, whether VPN is working at all. For example, I never made it through the Google books checkout process. Obviously Google checks the credit card address and/or IP as well. Of course you can solve this as well (virtual credit card and such). But some of the tricks might not work on the gadget itself. And I usually find it too annoying to actually do so after a while (when the "new" factor has worn off).
On nook classic, for example, in the beginning I used my own SIM card and hacked the system accordingly. But at some stage I simply didn't want to reconfigure again after every single firmware update. At first this is fun ("cool, it's hackable"), after some time it's simply work ("oh man, I have to hack it again").
Meaning: Can you use all the features on the gadget itself, without spending too much time? A simple VPN, configured once on the unit, would be fine. But flashing firmware, hacking the system and such over time probably would annoy me and at some stage (2 months?) I'd stop bothering...
Good points. As mentioned in my reply to jocampo I think you can achieve that same level of Amazon integration on any Android tablet (takes some work, of course), and I think the Fire is not good value for money as far as the hardware is concerned. You should ask in the Kindle Fire forum, a simple PPTP or L2TP VPN probably would work.

On the other hand, knowing you, once the "new" factor has worn off, you usually buy the next device anyway...

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #1165
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
It would be too much of a pain and effort when you can basically buy any other cheap Android tablet and get similar functionality.
That's exactly what I'm worried about. At first, it's fun to trick the system. After some time it's work and can get quite annoying.

Quote:
That's exactly my thoughts. Of course I can side load movies and other stuff. But the real fun, albeit probably quite expensive over time (you have to love the Amazon business model), would be the "everything available from a single source all the time" aspect...
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #1166
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Hmm...

That's what I fear. There obviously are workarounds via PC and side loading. But on the unit itself?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #1167
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
On the other hand, knowing you, once the "new" factor has worn off, you usually buy the next device anyway...
You may have a point here.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #1168
ktjw
ktjw began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Thanks

Thanks for all the good info. I think I will get the Fire and see how it works out, now that I know it can be done.:-)

Last edited by ktjw; 03-05-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: got the anwser in earlier post
ktjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #1169
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info. I think I will get the Fire and see how it works out, now that I know it can be done.:-)
You mean, Nook Color or Nook Tablet? Nook Tablet is the most recent device.

I'll give the same advice I usually give: both are USA devices, so they are not intended to be sold or used oustide of USA. Shipping, warranty and other stuff, will make them too expensive.

However, if you want some fun and have time ... ... I would go Nook Tablet (recent device).

If you can find your books on both online stores, the Nook Tablet would be a better choice. I had one for few hours or days; the colors are more vivid, it is more responsive and more ports. But I prefer Amazon online store so I returned it.

Kindle Fire is cheaper, fantastic Amazon's store integration, but colors are not so vivid and can be unresponsive at times. Most recent firmware upgrade helped a lot though. On its positive side, Fire is more open than Nook's, without any hack. I was able to download and install few Android apps without any hacking, including B&N Android app and Dolphine browser.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #1170
mgmueller
Member Retired

Sony PRS-T1

Well...I HAD to do it.
I've decided to go for the 4 mainstream touch units: Kobo, Kindle, nook and Sony.
Simple reason:
300 eBooks bought from Sony.
600 eBooks bought from Amazon.
300 eBooks bought from Barnes and Noble.
300 eBooks bought from Kobo.
I could strip them from DRM and convert them via calibre. But it's way easier of course to simply download them on the respective "original" units.
I should have the nook and Kindle in about 1 week from the US, then I'll compare.

So far: I really like the Kobo touch. Very basic reader, plain and simple. None obtrusive, entirely goes out of your way and you simply can focus on reading.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test