Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #46
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Are the Fletcher books available as ebooks? <going to google>
http://www.manybooks.net/authors/fletcherjs.html

you can download from here
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #47
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
Yes, this is where I found them originally. I find the Manybooks site very good for browsing; the layout is better than that of Project Gutenberg for this. There's something about having covers to look at that makes it feel more like a bookshop or library. However, I do find that the quality can be a bit more variable here than at PG; from what they told me, it seems that MB doesn't hold the books itself - they're hosted on other sites, and some have obviously just been scanned in, converted, and posted complete with all the scanning errors, whereas the PG ones have been proofread and are usually in a better state.

FWIW, The Talleyrand Maxim makes it clear whodunnit from the start, and although I thought it was still a very good book, it might not be to the taste of anyone who likes to have a Christie-style puzzle element.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 02-03-2012 at 04:43 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Today I started a book by Max Allan Collins. Quarry.
Hitman protagonist as in Lawrence Block's Keller although I believe they were written first.

I am a Lawrence Block fan but I actually enjoy the Quarry books more. (read one or two as paperbacks way back and forgot the authors name).

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I found the entire 33 book collection at [pirate site deleted] for $16.50 or $0.50 each. They are pretty good editions with covers and only minor typos (ePub files converted with Calibre from HTML). I am beating them into submission with my own CSS as I read them.
--MH
To quote Sir Humphrey:
"If you must do this damn silly thing don't do it in this damn silly way."

Pirating ebooks is wrong. Paying people for pirated ebooks is wrong and foolish.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #50
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm nearly finished with Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, which is five-star writing, but I'd feel sorry for anyone whose native language isn't English as it's loaded full of 1930's period slang.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm nearly finished with Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, which is five-star writing, but I'd feel sorry for anyone whose native language isn't English as it's loaded full of 1930's period slang.
Can you recommend any particular eBook edition of it? I've never read any Raymond Chandler, and it's probably time that I did.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #52
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I listened to the audiobook.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I listened to the audiobook.
No problem. Thanks, anyway!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #54
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you recommend any particular eBook edition of it? I've never read any Raymond Chandler, and it's probably time that I did.
The MR Library has it, though not in many formats.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The MR Library has it, though not in many formats.
Yes, I know. Unfortunately, though, although it's fine for you to download it in Canada, Mr Chandler's works are not in the UK public domain, so it would be a breach of copyright for me to download it. That's why I'd prefer to buy a (legal) commercial eBook.

Thank you for the suggestion, though, anyway .
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #56
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Possibly a stupid suggestion, but have you considered going the regular library route?

At least for the first one They are IMO good books, but not something that requires several days to read. Easy reading and around 200 page length for paperback if I recall correctly.(and available as ebook in my library)

I also enjoyed Robert B. Parker book Perchance to Dream which was an uncompleted Chandler book finished by Parker, I believe.

Helen

Sorry it was Poodle Springs I was talking about, Perchance to dream I have not read (yet)

Last edited by speakingtohe; 02-16-2012 at 03:22 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #57
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I know. Unfortunately, though, although it's fine for you to download it in Canada, Mr Chandler's works are not in the UK public domain, so it would be a breach of copyright for me to download it. That's why I'd prefer to buy a (legal) commercial eBook.

Thank you for the suggestion, though, anyway .
Some of them are available through Amazon (at least here in the U.S.).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tal-text%2C270
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #58
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
i finished "the big sleep" a couple of weeks ago. i thought it was kind of interesting as far as the period it took place in, but didn't think the story was all that great.

currently i'm about halfway through conor fitzgerald's "the dogs of rome" and am enjoying it much more than "the big sleep." but part of the reason is i really love italy and especially roma.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #59
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

I also enjoyed Robert B. Parker book Perchance to Dream which was an uncompleted Chandler book finished by Parker, I believe.

Helen

Sorry it was Poodle Springs I was talking about, Perchance to dream I have not read (yet)
I thought Parker did a great job finishing Poodle Springs. Perchance to Dream was good and worth reading. Although I found Poodle Springs better.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #60
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
I finished "The Big Sleep" a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was kind of interesting as far as the period it took place in, but didn't think the story was all that great.
Fully agreed -- Chandler's descriptive ability carries the story, making it a "classic", not the characters (who are basically stock) and plot (drawn out short story idea really).