Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My watch of choice is a Casio G-Shock. Costco has them on sale for $30 every now and then.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It just hit $10 million and did so in just under 40 hours.
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 AM   #48
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My watch of choice at the moment is the Casio Waveceptor

Under £30 for a watch that's never more than a second off the actual time, as it resets from a standard radio signal every night.

It would be nice if it have a better display ands was thinner. There's a least 1mm (perhaps two) that could easily be shaved off by losing the gap between the cover and the LCD.

But the Pebble doesn't interest me. It's bad enough having to constantly charge my phone. I don't want to have to remember to charge my watch every week (or probably more often).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51opSrFOvUL.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	135324  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 AM   #49
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
About the display:

On reddit they concluded that it was this memory-in pixel color display from Japan Display

It's a pity that they are only available in very small sizes; a big one would be perfect for reading comics (sigh).

Last edited by Antartica; 02-26-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly don't have a need for a watch that's accurate to 1 second. I have a Tissot watch which I bought on a holiday in Switzerland some 20 or so years ago. I paid a reasonable amount of money for it, but after 20 years it doesn't have a mark on the crystal (although the stainless-steel surround is a little "battle-scarred"), keeps time to the nearest minute (which is all I need) year round, and the only time I ever adjust it is when I travel to a different time zone or we switch to or from summer time. I confidently expect that it will last me the rest of my lifetime.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Japan Display device on the web site is slightly bigger, but with almost the same dot pitch (0.1395 vs 0.145), which would mean that for the same pixels, the Japan Display device would be just under 0.8mm narrower and .924mm shorter than the Sharp display. So perhaps the larger bezel is explained by a larger display, of which they're only using the middle pixels, to match the screen pixels of the original Pebble?

Or perhaps they have the volume to get Japan Display to do a custom version with the right number of pixels.

Another difference: The Sharp display take 15uw for a static display, and 50uw for a 1Hz display. The Japan Display takes 130uw for a static display and 160mw for a 1Hz display. That's almost 10 times as much power for a static display!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #52
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My watch of choice at the moment is the Casio Waveceptor

Under £30 for a watch that's never more than a second off the actual time, as it resets from a standard radio signal every night.
I've been wearing a Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic for the last 15 years. Not a scratch on it (ceramic body and band, and the cover 'glass' is sapphire) and no messing with batteries (the watch face is a solar cell that charges a supercapacitor) and, like the Waveceptor, it syncs with DCF77 every night.

Great watch, but the steel folding clasp is a bit of a weak spot; I just had it replaced for the second time.

Somewhat more expensive than 30 quid, though
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #53
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I've been wearing a Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic for the last 15 years.

[...]

Somewhat more expensive than 30 quid, though
Ah - over 35 times the price. Nice watch though. The ceramic case, sapphire cover and solar power make a very nice watch.

Hmmm.. precision seem to do a nice radio controlled solar powered watch. Granted, not ceramic and sapphire, but less than twice the price of my casio.

I am surprised at how hard it to find a watch with an uncluttered dial.

I suppose that's one advantage of the pebble. One can choose the watch dial design since it's a digital display.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #55
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Another advantage to the Pebble for me is that it takes its time from my phone. That doesn't sound like much of an advantage, but I am one of those people who mysteriously stop watches. My Pebble is my only watch ever to actually keep time.

Also, it has a Pipboy display.

Didn't back the new one, though.

Because I backed the Kreyos Meteor. Twice.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #56
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ah - over 35 times the price. Nice watch though. The ceramic case, sapphire cover and solar power make a very nice watch.

Hmmm.. precision seem to do a nice radio controlled solar powered watch. Granted, not ceramic and sapphire, but less than twice the price of my casio.

I am surprised at how hard it to find a watch with an uncluttered dial.

I suppose that's one advantage of the pebble. One can choose the watch dial design since it's a digital display.
It wasn't that expensive . I paid the equivalent of £360 for it back then. I owned a slew of cheap watches before, and was fed up with them, so I bought a Seiko MessageWatch (remember those?) and was very happy with that (being able to send messages to it and get news on it was fun; it was a bit of a smartwatch-avant-la-lettre) until they stopped the time syncing and messaging service back in '99 and it turned out to keep horrible time without it (it drifted almost 5 minutes per day!).

After that I decided to get something really good and spend some coin. That became the Junghans.

Yeah, those smartwatches are fun, but they all look so clunky. They are getting there, though; especially the new LG Urbane is pretty tempting...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Pebble Time moved into 2nd place in just under 48 hours. Currently at $10.3 million.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It wasn't that expensive . I paid the equivalent of £360 for it back then.
Yes, a decent watch is something that lasts a lifetime. I went through goodness only knows how many cheap watches before buying my Tissot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Hmm. I think I should point out that a classy watch IS noticed by discerning females. It's a nice touch. Of course, us geek girls will also notice a great geek gadget. So really, you can't go wrong with either!!! The Pebble pictures y'all posted seem to function as both classy jewelry and geek magnets.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
It wasn't that expensive . I paid the equivalent of £360 for it back then.
That was then. The full ceramic radio controlled solar modals are now around £1100.

Too much for me, despite the elegance of their design.