Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
jaffa
jaffa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Limited functionality on Raspberry Pi

I like to use Calibre to download news and send it to my Kindle. I currently have it set-up on my Windows machine to download the news every day at 9pm as I know my computer will be on at that time. Ideally, I'd like to download news first thing in the morning so I can keep up-to-date.

I installed Calibre on a Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian OS), planning to automate the Pi to come on every morning, download news, email it to my Kindle, and then turn off.

I can get Calbre as far as downloading all of my news sources - after that, it doesn't automatically convert and email the ebooks to my Kindle, even though I have the same settings on the Pi as on my Windows machine. I can manually trigger a test email from Calibre to my Kindle.

Is this functionality only available in the Windows version of the software, or does the conversion process take more processing power than the Raspberry Pi has?
jaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know their is no deliberate reduction in functionality on the Raspberry Pi. However Calibre tends to assume you have plenty of RAM so it may well be that is stopping things working on the Pi. The RAM can vary depending on the pi model from 256Mb to 1GB (although some is lost to the GPU for handling the screen) so the model you have may be relevant.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
jaffa
jaffa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As far as I know their is no deliberate reduction in functionality on the Raspberry Pi. However Calibre tends to assume you have plenty of RAM so it may well be that is stopping things working on the Pi. The RAM can vary depending on the pi model from 256Mb to 1GB (although some is lost to the GPU for handling the screen) so the model you have may be relevant.
I got the Pi 2 model B, so I've got 1GB of RAM. Would it be worth disconnecting the monitor to free up the RAM, or is some RAM dedicated to GPU regardless of whether a monitor is connected or not?
jaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You should be able to adjust the memory dedicated to the GPU by editing the config.txt file. See http://www.raspberrypi.org/documenta.../config-txt.md
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
I like to use Calibre to download news and send it to my Kindle. I currently have it set-up on my Windows machine to download the news every day at 9pm as I know my computer will be on at that time. Ideally, I'd like to download news first thing in the morning so I can keep up-to-date.

I installed Calibre on a Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian OS), planning to automate the Pi to come on every morning, download news, email it to my Kindle, and then turn off.

I can get Calbre as far as downloading all of my news sources - after that, it doesn't automatically convert and email the ebooks to my Kindle, even though I have the same settings on the Pi as on my Windows machine. I can manually trigger a test email from Calibre to my Kindle.

Is this functionality only available in the Windows version of the software, or does the conversion process take more processing power than the Raspberry Pi has?
1. You need to do each download/convert one at a time. Pick out the largest one and time how long it takes, then use that plus 30% as the time to allow for your jobs.
2. Configure a swap-file, enable it, and set swappiness to 10 or more. You can play around with this to find the best setting. See this page to set up a swap file with 1gb of RAM setup a swap of 1gb and swappiness to 20.

My desktop running Mint did the same when I had a memory failure and had only 1 gb of ram with the swap turned off.

Luck:
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nothing to do with your problem, but IIRC raspbian has a pretty out-of-date version of calibre, somewhere in the 0.8.x series I think?
There have been all sorts of fixes, to tons of stuff, in that time.

Might be worth switching to ArchLinuxArm, since they are very good at keeping up to date.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote