Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
nods11
nods11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Black triangle / white question mark kindle error

I have just published my first book of 500 to kindle!!

Problem is i have the dreaded "black triangle/white question" mark error.

The web seems to say use calibre ebook management, but tried that, then I found out, kindle does not accept calibre anymore.

I think this character is unicode U+FFFD, and appears when kindle can't recognise, apostrophes used for contractions, eg "can't, won't", and also for dashes "-" and some bullet points. The strange thing is kindle previewer shows no formatting errors, but when upload to kindle, the errors appear.

What can i find/replace in Word to fix this?

Can anyone please help, as this has kept me up for 7 days already!! Thank you so much in advance!!
nods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nods11 View Post
Problem is i have the dreaded "black triangle/white question" mark error.
What app(s)/device(s) display this error and how exactly did you create your Kindle book?

� is often displayed if a book references non-existing fonts or embedded fonts stripped by the KDP converter.

Since you've apparently written your book with MS Word, you may want to give Toxaris's ePUB Tools Word add-in a try, which will clean up the Word output.

I.e., generate an ePub with the MS Word plugin, edit it with Calibre Editor or Sigil and finally convert it to a Kindle book with Kindle Previewer or upload the ePub to KDP.

Last edited by Doitsu; 02-14-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I second Doitsu's suggestion. If your version of Word is too old (as mine is), then paste your Word doc into Word2CleanHtml dot com online. Then open the html in Sigil and perfect it there. (Epubs convert nicely on the KDP.) You can probably go the mobi route as well. Lots of people use Calibre, though (like Word) it can be problematical. Some say to output a mobi file, others AWZ3. I don't do either, because I love Sigil.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also be sure of the character encoding of the source document.
If the document misleads kindlegen (or kdp) about its actual encoding, the missing character symbol can occur.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote