Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Google, I don't know, Amazon, you can't. AllRomance, BOB..., Samhain... There you can.
Thanks, thought I was missing something on Amazon as I have seen posts on get satisafaction that people are moving to Amazon because Kobo doesn't have a shopping cart
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Is there a way to get this thread stickied up with the other feature request threads?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I agree it would be handy for using coupons on multiple books (although I havent had a coupon for ages from them)
I got one today... sep0725XY, good until Sept. 10. I used it for a kind of off-beat book, so it doesn't seem to have any of the all-too-usual restrictions.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
  • Please, please, please get rid of the immediate automatic flood of Dutch books in my face just because I'm browsing from a Dutch IP address. It would be nice if the content of the site listened to what language I select right at the top. All it does now when I select "English," is change the menu names to English. The rest stays Dutch. I cannot browse in English, causing me to never ever buy a book from Kobobook.com any more.
  • While we're on the subject of internationalism, it would be really great if books that are translated from another language say so, and preferably give a link to the original book (if available). I'd hate to buy a translated book by accident and then find out later that I could have read it in its original language...
Oh yes, PLUL-EEZE!! The first one has been my one main gripe since Kobo "went international." I'm sure one of these days I will buy a book in French from their FNAC affiliate, but until then I really would prefer to see New Releases in English - and NOT in French.

And the idea of linking translations to the book in VO is a great one!

For the third time or so, I e-mailed kobo with this request. For the first time however, I just got a response that actually made some sense (the first response restated that it depended on my IP address, DUH, and the second response was about something completely different).

Anyway, today, Keshine R from Kobo Customer Care told me:
Quote:
To resolve this issue I would recommend that your billing address is set to an English speaking country such as your homeland, England. Once this is set the website will revert to being in English. Below I have included the steps to change this settings.

Changing Billing Location
1. Launch a web browser
2. Navigate to our website (www.kobobooks.com)
3. Sign in
4. Click on My Account
5. Scroll until you reach the Billing address & Credit Card section
6. Change Country to England (Please ensure if you have a credit card saved that this new billing address corresponds with the credit card saved)
Unfortunately, for me this doesn't work as I don't have a credit card from an English speaking country. But perhaps it might work for you and/or others.

UPDATE: I was able to put in a UK address with my Dutch credit card details (number, security code and expiry date)! So now I can browse English books again yay. Of course I won't be able to buy any, but oh well (okay fine I'll use paypal). Strange thing though: while the books now show up in English, the "eReader" part of the site it still in Dutch. Hurrumph.

UPDATE2: Oh. But now all the pricing shows up in UK Pounds instead of euros. Sigh.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-10-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: update 2
Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Re: the language on the site.

Although there might seem to be a short term solution to browse in the language of your choice (while other parts of the site stay in the language of the country your IP address is from), it is still absolutely necessary to make the language of the site a user preference. Or better yet, to make browsing sections per language so you can choose on the go which language you want to browse in.

Kobo, please implement...
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Of course I won't be able to buy any, but oh well (okay fine I'll use paypal).
Why not? I've bought UK books from Kobo on the UK site using a UK address and a non-UK credit card.

Although I do have a VPN, so I was coming in on a UK IP address...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Why not? I've bought UK books from Kobo on the UK site using a UK address and a non-UK credit card.

Although I do have a VPN, so I was coming in on a UK IP address...
Hah interesting... I would have thought that if my address details were incorrect my credit card payment wouldn't work.

I'm so jealous of your VPN!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm so jealous of your VPN!
Yeah, well... Gets around that pesky geo-limited publishing idiocy.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Update to the website language issue:

Keshine R from Kobo Customer Care has said to me:
Quote:
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and will ensure that our Apps team is aware of this problem so that they can take it into consideration when developing the next update.
So I'm glad it sounds like we'll be having slightly less problems somewhere in the future...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
Things I'd love to see from Kobo:

a) Like most everyone else a cart

b) instead of just 'not interested', 'already read' add 'already own'. Just because it is not on my Kobo does not mean it is not in my closet.

c) The ability to sort books by author and then by published date. Or rather the ability to perform a sort within a sort. It would make reading books in a series so much easier.

d) The ability to enter a comment attached to the book list. If I could add something like 'first of three', 'read prequel in this anthology', etc. It would greatly limit my reopening books I've already read.

Probably think of more later. Thanks for the thread.
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like others have said:
1] better search options, and then better fine-tuning of those results
2] series order would be WONDERFUL [again I guess that would be techically under 'search', but still, for series-junkies like me, it would be a GREAT addition
3] cart

And I would like to know if something is eligible for a coupon/code without having to start the check-out process each time. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it sure would be a helpful feature.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #27
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I would like the option to exclude a certain book I bought from Kobo from the recommended book associations...

I recently bought a book from a genre I normally never read, just to try it out. I appear to not like the genre at all. But no, just because I bought that one book, I'm being bombarded with suggestions from that one genre. I have to click "not interested" on each and every one of them, and still, new ones keep popping up. It would me much easier to just click "exclude from association" or something on the one book I bought...
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #28
murg
No Comment

Quote:
I recently bought a book from a genre I normally never read, just to try it out.
You're going to be bombarded with erotica no matter what you do...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You're going to be bombarded with erotica no matter what you do...
Probably. Though I see they finally took off that permanent link to 50 shades...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would also like them to have 'upcoming releases'. Not that I care to pre-order, but to know what's coming and how much they are planning to charge.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote