Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Or just ignorant. Like everyone in the EU and USA who has ever sang "Happy Birthday to You" in public without paying for a public performance licence.

Pirates, every last one of them.

(Yes, that song is indeed in copyright)
Yup, Applebee's is in real trouble.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Yup, Applebee's is in real trouble.
I believe they sing a similar but different song, specifically so they don't get sued
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The term was used in the original version of the International Berne Copyright Convention in 1886.
Really? I had no idea.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
Whenever I power-up my scanner I look around nervously for Daleks and seem to hear metallic voices coming up the corridor chanting "destroy them, destroy all pirates!"
Even though I'm only planning to scan the electric bill.
Have I contracted antipiratephobia?
I wonder why that is?
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Really? I had no idea.
Yes, one of the articles of the Berne Convention requires signatory members to seize and destroy counterfeit and pirated goods at their borders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #36
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Regardless of the definition of piracy, I think in some (and even most), circumstances it is perfectly ethical and justified. I have no issue downloading a film if I already saw it at the cinema. And if I already have the paperback and want to read the book on my kindle I'm going to "pirate" it and download it off the net. This maybe technically illegal but it is a victimless crime.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #37
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
You do realise that the use of the word "piracy" to refer to the unauthorised copying of literary works dates back over 400 years? It certainly isn't a modern coinage.
Thus suggesting that spin doctoring (come lobbying) may be the world's third oldest profession.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
Regardless of the definition of piracy, I think in some (and even most), circumstances it is perfectly ethical and justified. I have no issue downloading a film if I already saw it at the cinema. And if I already have the paperback and want to read the book on my kindle I'm going to "pirate" it and download it off the net. This maybe technically illegal but it is a victimless crime.
It's only "victimless" in your own mind. Does seeing a film at the cinema entitle you to a free DVD? If not, why do you believe it's justifiable to illegally download it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #39
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
So if I purchase a epub version of a book when a mobi version for my kindle is not available and convert it to mobi to read am I a pirate.

I am about to be in this boat as I just can not find anything but epub versions of 6 books I want to buy and the only thing I read on is my kindle.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
It's only "victimless" in your own mind. Does seeing a film at the cinema entitle you to a free DVD? If not, why do you believe it's justifiable to illegally download it?
I have to agree here about the film. When you pay to see the movie in a theater, you don't get to keep it for repeat viewing.

However, I recently bought three used VHS tapes of movies not available on DVD, copied two of them to DVD for my own use, then my VCR stopped working. I found an online copy of the third film (not a torrent, BTW) and downloaded it. It had been recorded from a TV broadcast.

Am I supposed to feel guilty? Who got victimized here?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
An interesting Slashdot article and the comments addresses why people pirate the tv series Game of Thrones. The comments are interesting.

The TorrentFreak article and comments on the same subject are supposed to also be interesting (unless that's just the same thing as the slashdot discussion) but aparently my ISP blocks that site: when I go to it, all I get is garbage on my screen.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #42
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Sure its victimless in that he does not personally know any victims.

"Shoplifting is victimless crime. Like punching someone in the dark."
- Nelson Muntz

Last edited by nogle; 05-29-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spellng
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
Something to do with violently seizing ships and cargo, IIRC.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

Am I supposed to feel guilty? Who got victimized here?
Exactly like the way Disney use their vault system. Periodically re-release movies for a short time then lock them away again. Too bad if you miss out, there is always a next time at a higher price.

Keeps those DVD/Blu-ray prices nice and high.

In reality they are contributing towards what they complain most about.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #45
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
However, I recently bought three used VHS tapes of movies not available on DVD, copied two of them to DVD for my own use, then my VCR stopped working. I found an online copy of the third film (not a torrent, BTW) and downloaded it. It had been recorded from a TV broadcast.
I'm curious why you specified that the online copy you downloaded was not a torrent. What does the download method matter?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote