Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
My husband came home with the news this morning that someone in his office bought a Galaxy Note and now wants to sell it because they don't like having such a big phone. And the price is good, i.e. $200 or possibly under!
Quote:
Yeah, now the guy is starting to play with it, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. ....
I'm not surprised. He probably had no intention of selling the device and was just looking for confirmation that he made a good purchase (by having other show interest).

I think it will take a while before Samsung gets this device down to $350 unless it changes some key hardware on the device. Like dropping the Super AMLOLED Plus screen and going with LCD. Also ditching the Watcom pen and using a capacitive pen.

For instance the GPlayer is the Galaxy S line sans the Super AMOLED screen, memory, 3G/4G chip.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
If I'd been there in the office when the guy had first started talking about selling, I'd have done a quick Google to answer the sim card question and then taken a risk and bought it then and there. But I can't blame hubby for wanting to be sure it was what I wanted.

Besides, the guy is often trying to sell off his various impulse purchases to other folks in the office, so no reason to assume that he would change his mind the very next day.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I picked up a SGN yesterday on contract for $249. First day's impression; I like it. I actually believe that it can replace both my phone and my tablet. Back to carrying only one device.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I picked up a SGN yesterday on contract for $249. First day's impression; I like it. I actually believe that it can replace both my phone and my tablet. Back to carrying only one device.
I have a 5" SGP that replaced my Nook Color. So far, I'm liking it as my tablet. The SGN would be nice, but I refuse to pay for a data plan I don't need.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I am out of luck, the guy decided to keep his Note and he sent the other phone back. At least he let us know quickly. But now he is complaining about the cost of the data plan!

My plan is to just start saving, and perhaps eventually the price'll come down a bit on an unlocked Note and I can buy one then. I'm thinking it might be the perfect reward for a difficult goal I'm trying to achieve.

Or someone else'll make a small, high-res tablet that would suit me. Meanwhile, my SGP 5.0 is doing fine, got a bluetooth headphone for it recently.
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #21
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
The Note is great!
Very good ereader, in almost all situations, the exception being full sun, but even then it is readable. In all other situations I prefer it to my Sony Pocket.
BTW, it is also a very good GPS device, getting a fix in seconds, decent cameras (for a phone), a decent MP3 player and with my big hands, a game machine, a sketchbook, holding it to my ear doesn't make me feel IO look foolish. So for me it is a do-it-all device when I'm on the go (at house I prefer my Ipad 2).
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
The Note is great!
Very good ereader, in almost all situations, the exception being full sun,
I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but in the olden days I had a Palm Pre phone with a Super AMOLED screen, and I used it for a golf GPS range finder. It worked WONDERFULLY and was very easy to see in bright sun in the middle of the fairway.

Since moving on to larger LED phones, I found them virtually useless for this. The only way I could see them was if I got into the golf cart or under a shade tree, and then with difficulty. Now that I have a SGN, I’m hopeful that it’s Super AMOLED will again improve my game.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard

I'm a Note owner after all!

The sale *has* happened. Hubby is in possession of one slightly used AT&T Galaxy Note.

Turns out the guy decided to switch carriers, only of course, the Note is locked to AT&T. So he decided to sell it again. We got it for $225 which includes a case. I think there is some kind of screen protector already installed, possibly a Zagg in matte. Remains to be seen if I'll like that or not.

I should make my first acquaintance with the device this evening when hubby gets home from work.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Congrats. I just got a Galaxy Note yesterday and so far I love it. It is a great size for a reader and I think I am going to stop carrying my Kindle around with me. I am also going to try using it to watch videos at the gym. I have a cheap, two-year-old 7" tablet I have been using. The Note's screen is a little smaller, but the image quality is so much better, it may be worth giving up a little size.

Have fun with it,
Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
graycyn
Wizard

If they made a 7" tablet with that kind of screen resolution, I'd be tempted, but I suspect I'd still like the Note for the weight and portability advantages. There's much to be said for a tablet that isn't heavy and doesn't take up much space in my bag or fits in a pocket when I want to go for a walk.

I got some Bluetooth headphones and I love using those with the Galaxy Player and I'm sure they will be good with the Note as well! I was so tired of wires!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Which bluetooth headphones do you use? I have always gone the wired route, as it is just one more thing to remember to charge. I only use headphones at the gym while watching videos on the stair machine and treadmill or to listen to audiobooks when I am working on something at home for a long time that needs my hands and eyes.

I do listen to audiobooks whenever I am in the car. But even though I have bluetooth in the car and use it for the phone applications, I have just been using a wired connection into my car's stereo for audiobooks. I get a lot of my audiobooks from audible.com and love their android app. When I turn off the car and the bluetooth connection is broken (even though I'm not using bluetooth to listen to the audio) the audible app automatically pauses the book, so I am in the right place the next time I get into the car.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Which bluetooth headphones do you use? I have always gone the wired route, as it is just one more thing to remember to charge. I only use headphones at the gym while watching videos on the stair machine and treadmill or to listen to audiobooks when I am working on something at home for a long time that needs my hands and eyes.

I do listen to audiobooks whenever I am in the car. But even though I have bluetooth in the car and use it for the phone applications, I have just been using a wired connection into my car's stereo for audiobooks. I get a lot of my audiobooks from audible.com and love their android app. When I turn off the car and the bluetooth connection is broken (even though I'm not using bluetooth to listen to the audio) the audible app automatically pauses the book, so I am in the right place the next time I get into the car.

Duane

I am using Arriva's LEO set. They are really comfortable for me and I'm picky about that! I haven't had them long, but am pleased so far. I use them mainly for walking or other exercise and shopping. Great for tuning out crying babies at Wal-Mart, LOL!

I don't do audio books so can't speak to that. One thing I will say is that the sound quality is not as good as wired. This is apparently a failing for bluetooth headphones in general, i.e. if you are looking for audiophile sound, best to stick with wired. I can appreciate that, but really, for working out and walking, all I need is a good beat, so it's not *my* prime criteria. It's also possible that if I redo ripping my music and use a better compression level, I'll get better sound. My original mp3 player only had 1GB, so I compressed my OGG files quite a bit when I ripped them from CD.

Battery life is supposed to be about 4-5 hours. I haven't really timed it. They charge up again quickly though. I found that when walking in a store, having my player in my purse works well. Outside, I'm more prone to getting some occasional crackles. A lot depends on how my player is positioned and I may need to get some kind of belt pouch, since sticking it in my front pocket doesn't work well. It liked my jacket pocket better, but I need to find another solution before summer.

Meanwhile, I am loving the Galaxy Note so far! My books look GREAT, this is what my older eyes wanted, crisp and solid text and good resolution.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I find using swype with my Note is very fast and getting easier all the time. Better than typing.

The Audible app is brilliant too.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Turns out the guy decided to switch carriers, only of course, the Note is locked to AT&T. So he decided to sell it again. We got it for $225 which includes a case.
Lucky you. I'd pay $225 for a Note any day. Anyway, congrats and enjoy the new toy.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
wodin
Illiterate

It's coming down to decision time, my thirty days are almost up; do I keep the G-Note, or go back to carrying a 7” tab and a 4.2” phone. While the tab fits in my trousers pocket, it was always quite bulky and heavy, and there was little doubt, visually, that it was there. I carried the phone on my belt, in a snap in holster; and it was always getting hooked on something.

The G-Note fits in that same pocket, but is thin, light, and much less bulky, and there is no phone on my belt to get caught on things. The G-Note’s screen is a quite a bit smaller than the tab’s, but still big enough to be an excellent reader (unlike the phone), especially with the higher resolution and most excellent Super AMOLED technology. And as I have fairly large hands, it’s not too big to use one handed. The cost of the service is only slightly more than I was paying for both devices; the only thing is that I have to give up texting as that’s an added cost ($20/mo). But then I never used too many texts when they were free, so…

All in all, I believe I’ll keep it!