Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Bug warning for Nook HD/HD+ owners using stock firmware

There is a bug in the stock firmware for the HD and HD+ whereby side-loaded books in a subfolder inside of the "My Files" folder, either in internal or on the sd card, won't be deleted from the Nook's library view when the entire folder is deleted without first deleting the books themselves. A book thumbnail persists, and clicking on it merely brings up the option to add the book to the home screen. You can't delete this thumbnail or ghost book through normal means.

AFAIK, there is only one way to delete these ghost books ... Put the exact same books back into a new subfolder with the same name and in the same location that the previously deleted folder had. Then select all the books and delete them. After that, you can then delete the folder itself. Then go into library view and refresh the view. The ghost books will have disappeared.

If you don't have those same books anymore or you can't remember the name of the folder they were in before you deleted it, then you are out of luck, as I was. I had to reset my device to get rid of the over 1,000 "ghost" books that showed up in the Nook's library view. Even though I use Calibre Companion to manage the books on my Nook HD, and the bug doesn't impact that app, it was annoying me that so many ghost books showed up in the Nook's native library when they weren't actually on my device.

To avoid this problem, simply be sure to always delete the content of those subfolders first, instead of just deleting the entire folder.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Good to know, thanks. Do you prefer the native Nook reader to an app such as Aldiko or Mantano?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

booklover, up to now, no, I rarely used the Nook reader. I use Mantano Premium for reading epubs and Calibre Companion for managing the books. I really didn't need to fix the issue with the "ghost" books, as it didn't impact how I use my device as an e-reader. However, I just hated the idea of how the native library showed over 1000 books on my device that weren't there. It might sound odd since I only very rarely use the native library (primarily for viewing my B&N books in the cloud) but I guess I'm a little obsessive with things like this. So I went ahead and spent the time fixing it.

Fortunately, it's easy to root the device so that I could backup both the apps and their data before I reset the Nook. I didn't lose anything -- including game stats! I used the free app MyBackup Root. It is excellent for backup. You need root in order to backup the app data. Without root you can only backup the apk file.

As for the native Nook reading app, I have started getting into reading more pdf magazines, and I found it to be very good for pdf navigation. So I may be using it more in the future. But that will be mostly on the HD+ which I bought primarily for easier PDF reading.

--Pat
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I use Mantano Premium for reading epubs and Calibre Companion for managing the books.
An excellent combo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So, Pat, the ghost files/covers, were they for books that you never even opened in the Nook reader app?

I was checking the Nook app out, and I don't like it much....I would have to embed my font in order to use the one I want. I discovered yesterday, that is the way to make Aldiko work for me, as well.

However Mantano Essentials allows me to use my font AND display my formatting correctly. I use Mantano along with ES File Explorer and Copy, or Dropbox/Sugarsync. Mantano E works on all of our Nooks (but not on my rooted Fire HD...).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So, Pat, the ghost files/covers, were they for books that you never even opened in the Nook reader app?
Yes. I think I only opened the native nook reader once or twice -- when I first bought the device and just to see how the reader was.

I know how the ghost books got there. With Calibre Companion you can designate any folder anywhere on your device -- card or internal -- to put your books. A few times since I first started using the app I re-imported my books to the Nook, using a new folder to deposit them in while simply deleting the old folder of books. The problem was probably there for months, but I just noticed it the last week. I had like 3 copies of some books showing up in the Nook's library -- 1 actual book plus 2 ghost versions!

Quote:
I was checking the Nook app out, and I don't like it much....
Yeah, as a reading app for books, it doesn't offer as much as some of the other android apps. But if you ever want to read pdfs on your device, check it out. I like its navigation. It's a nice option to have.

--Pat
Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Helpful
Helpful began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK HD
Exclamation

I have found a way to do this using no apps other then editing your profile. Step1 is to go to the (your name here) NOOK in the corner of the screen then presses edit profile. Click your profile and then go to the places where you wanna delete the ghost apps/books and then just take off the ticks which are the ones where you wanna delete. And then its all free no ghost apps
Helpful is offline   Reply With Quote