Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
how does tinyurl work?

Is it you do the conversion, then when somebody clicks on the shortened url it takes them to the tiny url site where they can click on 'proceed to the website' and then it takes them to the url you wanted them to go in the first place?

And what does the "preview" feature do?

Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, when someone clicks on the shortened URL it takes them directly to where the original URL points to. But wouldn't it be just as easy for you to just try it as to ask here?

Please note, by the way, that the use of URL shortening services is not permitted at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
If you use a special Plugin Firefox will ask you before redirecting. Without Plugin it's redirecting without asking you for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note, by the way, that the use of URL shortening services is not permitted at MR.
Very good :thumbup:

Last edited by samy2; 02-22-2013 at 02:33 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
No, when someone clicks on the shortened URL it takes them directly to where the original URL points to. But wouldn't it be just as easy for you to just try it as to ask here?

I did try it, Harry. I just must've been taking stupid pills or something. Thanks for the heads-up about MR's not using them.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
If you use a special Plugin Firefox will ask you before redirecting. Without Plugin it's redirecting without asking you for.

Very good :thumbup:
Thanks samy. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I won't click such a link as I don't like links that do not show me where they go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I won't click such a link as I don't like links that do not show me where they go.
...tiny url has the preview feature, which takes you to tinyurl to see the full link. I don't know, JS. I'm just exploring this as an option. People say tinyurl is great for a lot stuff, like Twitter.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, Twitter is what it's really meant for, where your message length is restricted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Yes, Twitter is what it's really meant for, where your message length is restricted.
Thanks Harry
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is an Explode plugin for Chrome that lets you view the expanded URL before clicking on it. I suspect there may be one for Firefox as well.

Explode: Expand shortened URLs (e.g. TinyURL) with LongURL
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
There is an Explode plugin for Chrome. I suspect there may be one for Firefox as well.

Explode: Expand shortened URLs (e.g. TinyURL) with LongURL
But, I don't want to install a plugin for something that someone else doesn't have to use. On MR, full URLs work fine. No need for hidden URLs here. In fact, hidden URLs are not actually allowed here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
This is probably going to be off-topic, but it does have some relevance.

I did an ebook recently which was packed with references as end notes. Many of those references were URLs, and many of them would take up two or three lines on an ebook screen if I hadn't broken them - or they would have extended a long way off the right edge of the screen. I thought of using tiny urls to get them to fit on the screen. Would this be good practice? Or is there a better way?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
This is probably going to be off-topic, but it does have some relevance.

I did an ebook recently which was packed with references as end notes. Many of those references were URLs, and many of them would take up two or three lines on an ebook screen if I hadn't broken them - or they would have extended a long way off the right edge of the screen. I thought of using tiny urls to get them to fit on the screen. Would this be good practice? Or is there a better way?
There is absolutely no need for tiny URLS in an ebook.

You don't have to show the full address in a link - you can have links that show some, all, or none of the address - or something completely different - depending on what words you put between the <a href="..."> and </a> tags.

e.g. All of these links go to the same (imaginary) location.

Full:
Code:
<a href="http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitename.com/goingon/andon/andon/andon/andon/index.html">
     http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitename.com/goingon/andon/andon/andon/andon/index.html
</a>
How it will look: http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitena...don/index.html

{note some websites and MR will generally shorten a really long address by replacing letters with "..." as seen above. This may, or may not happen within an ebook reader. My personal experience is that it will show the entire string of characters that you place between the <a> tags.}

Medium:
Code:
<a href="http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitename.com/goingon/andon/andon/andon/andon/index.html">
     http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitename.com
</a>
How it will look: http://www.asuperreallylongwebsitename.com

Short:
Code:
     asuperreallylongwebsitename.com
</a>
How it will look: asuperreallylongwebsitename.com

Other:
Code:
     Here
</a>
How it will look: Here
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, but I think that you are assuming that everyone reading the ebook will
- have wifi activated
- want to open the link on his or her reader

I would like to be able to allow people who don't have wifi activated and don't want to use the ereader as a browser to be able to easily copy the link so she or he can use it on a computer.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, but I think that you are assuming that everyone reading the ebook will
- have wifi activated
- want to open the link on his or her reader

I would like to be able to allow people who don't have wifi activated and don't want to use the ereader as a browser to be able to easily copy the link so she or he can use it on a computer.
That's a good point.