Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #31
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I just finished chatting with one of the Amazon CS representatives who informed me that the Kindle Fire does not have Collections functionality. To say I am pissed is an understatement. Why would they release an "upgraded" version and take away basic kindle functionality. Guess who is canceling their fire pre-order? I am not paying $200 for something that cannot do what my kindle2 can do!
This is disturbing. It implies that Amazon does not view the Fire as its flagship EBR, but rather, a cut-rate and fenced-in iPad. I don't mind having a smaller iPad, but I do mind having one that lacks the reading functionality of a K3.

What I really would like is a versatile reading machine with a larger but reasonably portable screen. With the right software, that could be the Fire. Lacking that, it's not what I want.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my own purchase.

Last edited by Harmon; 10-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After pondering the implications of "no collections," and surfing around a bit, it appears to me that the Fire is not a device that is "readingcentric." So I have gotten out of the Fire line.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #33
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
After pondering the implications of "no collections," and surfing around a bit, it appears to me that the Fire is not a device that is "readingcentric." So I have gotten out of the Fire line.
Seems like a wise decision. You can always order in the future after the hands-on reviews. Perhaps there will be collections upon release.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
This is disturbing. It implies that Amazon does not view the Fire as its flagship EBR, but rather, a cut-rate and fenced-in iPad. I don't mind having a smaller iPad, but I do mind having one that lacks the reading functionality of a K3.

What I really would like is a versatile reading machine with a larger but reasonably portable screen. With the right software, that could be the Fire. Lacking that, it's not what I want.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my own purchase.
Basing your decisions on what a CS person says is rather naive. Most CS folks cannot find themselves in the dark, much less have much knowledge of a device still over a month away from release. Based on how many Kindle apps do have Collections, I highly suspect that CS person was dead wrong.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Basing your decisions on what a CS person says is rather naive. Most CS folks cannot find themselves in the dark, much less have much knowledge of a device still over a month away from release.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I just Googled and found out 2 page landscape view is an option. Wow. Hmmm....what's up with the other Kindle apps?
The iOS app has 2 page landscape view as well. I only have an Android phone with 4" screen, so I don't know if the Kindle for Android app has that option for tablets.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The iOS app has 2 page landscape view as well. I only have an Android phone with 4" screen, so I don't know if the Kindle for Android app has that option for tablets.
Well, I guess it's just the Android one that's lacking. Even on my tablet there's no 2 page landscape.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #38
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Well, I guess it's just the Android one that's lacking. Even on my tablet there's no 2 page landscape.
Kindle 4 PC has a two page option. But If they put it on the Fire is anybody's guess.

How well Amazon implements the Kindle ereader for the Fire is my biggest concern. I have a K3 that I can read in good light but I need something that I can read in poor light. I hate to have to remove the DRM from a book just so I can read it on a tablet. But I'm just not happy with either the Kindle or the Nook for Android apps.

If amazon wants to sell lots of Fires, and content, they should be thinking about a "killer" ereader. Unfortunately, I fear we will get whirling book shelves, and other such nonsense, instead of a good solid ereader. By the way, I don't think the K3 is a "killer" ereader. I have to hack the line spacing, margins and font size to read my K3 with comfort, so I don't think the K3 would make a good model. I do have the Rockwell (serif) font installed, but I use the stock sanserif. To bad they can't create a serif font of equal quality for the K3.

Regards -John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post

If amazon wants to sell lots of Fires, and content, they should be thinking about a "killer" ereader. Unfortunately, I fear we will get whirling book shelves, and other such nonsense, instead of a good solid ereader...
Yeah, it's really surprising that current devices and apps don't have better formatting options. They've been at it long enough to implement these necessary features in a reader.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #40
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Yeah, it's really surprising that current devices and apps don't have better formatting options. They've been at it long enough to implement these necessary features in a reader.
The primary pull of Amazon/Kindle has always been access to the Amazon store though. The Amazon iOS/Android app is pretty poor in regards to customisation options, you wouldn't choose to use it if you could read the books in another app.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The primary pull of Amazon/Kindle has always been access to the Amazon store though. The Amazon iOS/Android app is pretty poor in regards to customisation options, you wouldn't choose to use it if you could read the books in another app.
The Kindle itself is lacking in formatting options. It's not just the apps. The Kobo Touch has the most complete feature set in this area.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #42
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
If amazon wants to sell lots of Fires, and content, they should be thinking about a "killer" ereader. Unfortunately, I fear we will get whirling book shelves, and other such nonsense, instead of a good solid ereader. By the way, I don't think the K3 is a "killer" ereader. I have to hack the line spacing, margins and font size to read my K3 with comfort, so I don't think the K3 would make a good model. I do have the Rockwell (serif) font installed, but I use the stock sanserif. To bad they can't create a serif font of equal quality for the K3.
You've focused in on what I was trying to get at.

It's not a question of whether the Fire Kindle app has collections. It is that such a question could even be seriously considered.

There's a ten minute demo of the Fire by an Amazon rep that someone posted a link to, and I went to take a look at it. There was barely ANY mention of ebooks.

I agree that the K3 is not a killer EBR. What seems evident is that the Fire will not be any better, and that Amazon has no commitment to make it anything more than a mediocre platform for reading books.

Of course, there's no great pressure on Amazon to make a killer Kindle. But that means I have no reason to spend my money on the Fire. I had hoped I would...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #43
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
The makers of EBRs are competing on price and convenience. Evidently they don't think that there's much of a market for things like formatting options.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am confussed! I checked on Amazon FIRE OS NONE! Yet you folks say its Android OS HUH IF it does have Android Which ONE! I had a tablet that had 2.1 wasnt any good for what I wanted.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is Android OS with a customized Amazon wrapper. Which version of Android they are using is still a mystery, at least to me.

Tags
collections, fire