Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
That person has completely disqualified himself from this discussion by even questioning the unacceptability of torture.
Please go back and read the thread. It was Zelda who brought torture into the discussion. All that I have said about torture is that I am not able to state whether or not there might be any conceivable circumstances in which its use might not be morally justifyable. If you can make such a categorical assertion, then good for you. I can't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #92
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
All that I have said about torture is that I am not able to state whether or not there might be any conceivable circumstances in which its use might not be morally justifyable. If you can make such a categorical assertion, then good for you. I can't.
I can. It isn't morally, ethically, or strategically justifiable.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh, and then there's this bit:

The ultimate decision rests with the Haute Autorité, which may cut off subscribers - but does not have to. This is because the government does not wish to see businesses and institutions placed in a position where a national enterprise could suddenly find itself deprived of internet access because of the illegal activities of one or two of its managers.
Yes, which clearly conflicts with your assertion that users will "automatically" be cut off, does it not? There will be a judicial body which will make that decision. Perhaps you don't wish to call it a court, but it is a legal process, in which the user will have the right to present evidence, etc.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I can. It isn't morally, ethically, or strategically justifiable.
That's your viewpoint. There are plenty of people throughout history who would have disagreed with you. As I say, I can't answer the question one way or the other.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #95
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, I apologize. I should have said "The person who attempted to defend the use of torture, or pass moral ambiguity upon torture..."

I regret any misunderstanding you may have had.
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #96
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
That's your viewpoint. There are plenty of people throughout history who would have disagreed with you.
Quite true. History is filled with people like that.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Quite true. History is filled with people like that.
It is indeed, which tells us what? That moral questions are not "black and white"? That's a fairly self-evident fact, is it not? If moral questions were "easy", we wouldn't have philosophers. I am not a philosopher, so I can't answer such questions.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #98
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
It is indeed, which tells us what? That moral questions are not "black and white"? That's a fairly self-evident fact, is it not? If moral questions were "easy", we wouldn't have philosophers.
Experience is a great teacher, but rarely easy. But there are those who continue to use the "old ways" even when experience teaches that it is not worth spit.

Torture is like that.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #99
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
You're a real puzzle. In some things you admit to being a moral relativist (torture), while in others you show remarkable rigidity (copyrights, willingness to give up personal freedom on behalf of some restrictive and bullying piece of legislature). I didn't say you brought torture into the discussion,but you're the one who questioned its condemnability.
And YES, I can make such a categorical assertion. I would never torture a sentient being, nor would I allow anyone else to do so, if it was in my direct power.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Experience is a great teacher, but rarely easy. But there are those who continue to use the "old ways" even when experience teaches that it is not worth spit.

Torture is like that.
Donnageddon. Please don't misunderstand me. I am not "condoning" the use of torture. All I am saying is that I cannot absolutely rule out that there is any conceivable circumstance in which it may be morally justified. You clearly feel otherwise; that's fine with me, but please don't criticize me for not being able to see it in absolutely "black and white" terms as you do.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #101
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

I agree to your terms, Harry. And I have always, and do now, find you to be a good person. I am again sorry if this became too personal, that was not my intention.

It is just obvious we have a disagreement on the moral ambiguity of torture. Such things do happen.

And I treasure your Harry Harrison ebook uploads.

Peace.

Donn
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It is just obvious we have a disagreement on the moral ambiguity of torture. Such things do happen.
Absolutely, and I don't have any problem with the fact that you hold a different viewpoint. That's fine with me.

As you say, peace.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #103
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely, and I don't have any problem with the fact that you hold a different viewpoint. That's fine with me.
Yes, you (or we) still have that luxury of thinking that "differing viewpoints can coexist".. Although I would live in constant fear of the state that "lives" by your rule set (in favor of corporate gain).. It makes me wonder if you disapprove(d) of the lack of regulation that existed towards the financial sector in the UK, which was also heavily slanted towards protecting the happy few, rather than protecting the masses who invested their money with them, or whose investments were influenced by their behavior.. The lack of regulation there in favor of corporations is directly comparable to the currently created law that gives those same corporations the role of police & judge, with a neat exception for "companies who should not have to suffer if its employees behave badly".
As you quote:
This is because the government does not wish to see businesses and institutions placed in a position where a national enterprise could suddenly find itself deprived of internet access because of the illegal activities of one or two of its managers.
Where is the analogous exception for "families who should not have to suffer if a visitor/uneducated child does something dumb"? Why are the caveats always for "corporations"?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
It makes me wonder if you disapprove(d) of the lack of regulation that existed towards the financial sector in the UK, which was also heavily slanted towards protecting the happy few, rather than protecting the masses who invested their money with them, or whose investments were influenced by their behavior..
The UK actually has some of the most stringent financial regulations in the world - certainly far tougher than that of the US - but yes, I totally agree with you that it needs to be toughened still further, and that there should be more "transparency" in the sector.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #105
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is indeed, which tells us what? That moral questions are not "black and white"? That's a fairly self-evident fact, is it not? If moral questions were "easy", we wouldn't have philosophers. I am not a philosopher, so I can't answer such questions.
And yet in nearly every copyright/DRM thread you make sweeping judgements on everyone that disagrees with your viewpoint? Referring repeatedly to them as morally devoid, which I find -highly- insulting (as do others). And even though you are very careful to direct these attacks at those who think different on the topic (And not necessarily those that think filesharing is 'right') and not to specific parties I doubt anyone is fooled by who you think is lacking a proper education. I don't believe -any- other user or moderator could get away with your tactics in these discussions without at least receiving a warning from the other moderators.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote