Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Is there a Kindle hack FAQ?

I am a newbie as the Kindle2 has just made it to Canada.

I am reading about firmware updates for stuff like screensaver hacks, etc. Is there a FAQ somewhere that shows how to apply the hacks? Or is there a readme file include with the firmware? Any info on how to avoid bricking your Kindle?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am a newbie as the Kindle2 has just made it to Canada.

I am reading about firmware updates for stuff like screensaver hacks, etc. Is there a FAQ somewhere that shows how to apply the hacks? Or is there a readme file include with the firmware? Any info on how to avoid bricking your Kindle?
Some of the links in my sig might be helpful.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Thank you Daffy - that is very handy.

Any advice on formatting photos to use for the screen saver - should I convert them to grayscale or anything to mahe them look better on the Kindle?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Thank you Daffy - that is very handy.

Any advice on formatting photos to use for the screen saver - should I convert them to grayscale or anything to mahe them look better on the Kindle?
Glad it was useful.

The only suggestion I have is that you may want to add your contact information in the corner of a few or all of the images you use for your screensaver to make it easier to contact you should you lose your Kindle. There is no need to convert them to grayscale.

Have fun!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
laura3937
laura3937 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Another newbie

Hi, was following the directions in theKindle Visual Guide. Installed Python fine, but when I clicked K...PID I was directed to a page that says it's been deleted. Any help would be appreciated
laura3937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3937 View Post
Hi, was following the directions in theKindle Visual Guide. Installed Python fine, but when I clicked K...PID I was directed to a page that says it's been deleted. Any help would be appreciated
It was deleted because Amazon had us remove the information.