Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #466
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Congratulations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Just received mine and it has a pinhole.
Congratulations, you have great eye sight. I wouldn't be able to see a pin hole unless I used a flashlight and a powerful magnifying glass or a microscope.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #467
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Some shadows is normal, that is how they are made! I will upload a picture of mine.

Here is my PW2 (left) and PW1 (right) both with the lights all the way up.

http://img3.sellersourcebook.com/use...5/img_5871.jpg
Your PW1 looks like my PW2! I think I will be returning it and try for a better one. Thanks!
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #468
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Congratulations, you have great eye sight. I wouldn't be able to see a pin hole unless I used a flashlight and a powerful magnifying glass or a microscope.
Or if it sits on something that is always black, like in my case.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #469
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Can somebody send me a picture of their PW2 with a pinhole?
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #470
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I see very, very faint green-pink hues, but by no means near the PW1, and I am sure most people can't even detect them.

When you guys have some extra time, check how your color vision is with this online test. It is certainly an eye opener. It does not work on tablets/phones.
Great test xendula, thanks for the link ! I got 16, with 0 being the best score for my age range and 1520 the worst. So I think I don't have a color vision problem. YAY . I do have a bad hyperopia + astigmatism problem though, and cannot read without glasses anymore .
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #471
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Can somebody send me a picture of their PW2 with a pinhole?
I can't show you one on the PW2, but I have an old saved pic from one of my earlier PW1's from last year as Amazon asked me for a pic of the glowing specks. This one had two pinholes or glowing specks. I've highlighted around them in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pwpic.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	112737  
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #472
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
It is certainly an eye opener. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Sorry, I'm a little off-topic here, but I thought that book (The Book Thief) was really good. Did I see something recently about a movie adaptation?
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #473
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I see very, very faint green-pink hues, but by no means near the PW1, and I am sure most people can't even detect them.

When you guys have some extra time, check how your color vision is with this online test. It is certainly an eye opener. It does not work on tablets/phones.
I think it may be very difficult to complete that test reliably on a monitor that is not color calibrated and profiled. Mine is, and I've always said I can see any color shifting, so I'll prove it.

Here you go: score 3, with best being 0.

Because of my poor eyesight (being very near-sighted and having heavy nystagmus) it became VERY hard to concentrate and keep my eyes focused at the end of that test. The colors literally started to swim around. I must admit I got a bit careless at that point; probably the reason for the mistakes at near the end. Had the colors been arranged the other way around, I probably still would have made mistakes at the end.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #474
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Sorry, I'm a little off-topic here, but I thought that book (The Book Thief) was really good. Did I see something recently about a movie adaptation?
Yes! It comes out this November, I believe.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #475
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Okay I took the test. Not sure what my results mean, but I think it means my color vision isn't too bad. See attached screenshots.

EDIT: Looking at the attachments I can easily see some booboos I made. But I was somewhat distracted by the Capitol Hill shooting incident in DC and was watching CNN at the same time! Not a good multitasker...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color-test-01.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	112738   Click image for larger version

Name:	color-test-02.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	112739   Click image for larger version

Name:	color-test-03.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	112740  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #476
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I can't show you one on the PW2, but I have an old saved pic from one of my earlier PW1's from last year as Amazon asked me for a pic of the glowing specks. This one had two pinholes or glowing specks. I've highlighted around them in red.
This may be a stupid question, so please don't shoot me. Have you actually checked that this pinhole stays put when you change what's displayed on the screen? I hope so, because even with books that are bought, the covers often are not perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay I took the test. Not sure what my results mean, but I think it means my color vision isn't too bad. See attached screenshots.
You can't tell, if you don't don't know how good/accurate your monitor is.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #477
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This may be a stupid question, so please don't shoot me. Have you actually checked that this pinhole stays put when you change what's displayed on the screen? I hope so, because even with books that are bought, the covers often are not perfect.
Oh yes, I definitely checked that.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #478
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Quote:
That's exactly what mine looks like. If I turn the light up above 16 it's noticeable with normal reading.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #479
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I like the PW2 MUCH better than the PW1. It was way worth the upgrade.
Just curious, how do you like the PW2 screen compared to the Glo?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #480
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I understand your points too. May I ask, why do you keep replacing yours? Are they breaking? I suppose like anything it's a very individual thing and really just depends on the user. I certainly don't think one needs to upgrade every year, some people simply like upgrading and having the latest technology which is fine. I also know people that are still using their original kindle and happy with it. Myself, I love e-readers and won't be without one, but that's just me.
My first one, the Sony 505, died. A new battery probably would have fixed it, but by then the T1 was out. The T1 is still running fine but the battery isn't what it used to be. The Sony 350 is still fine, but has an aging battery too. The T1 battery isn't easily replaceable. Not sure about the 350.

I would prefer another reader like the 505 - metal instead of plastic and with a replaceable battery.

Love ereaders, too, but not when they get in the way of my reading.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote