Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #76
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It has a microSD card slot, which should give you enough capacity.
Woops, I was getting it mixed up with the beagle.

I'm definitely interested in one of these. Someone asked earlier why the Pyrus mini over the Kobo mini? For me, weight is a significant factor. My PB360+ is too heavy to carry with me all the time, and I don't yet know if the Kobo mini is small enough; it might be, but going for the smallest option seems a safer bet. I'm just onw of those people where ounces and inches makes a difference. Personally, I wish I could jsut ignore it and carry my PB around all the time, but the weight is just too noticeable to be comfortable.

I'm still hesitating, though. I hear the Pyrus Mini is buggy? And someone had to get theirs replaced twice before they got one that worked right? Mmm... I'll think about it.
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #77
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
Just ordered one, 55euro s/h included.
Now i look for some skin/decalc but no joy yet... anyone have a suggestion for me, please?
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #78
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
My Pyrus Mini arrived yesterday from Amazon.co.uk, two days before its estimated arrival date. It was very well packaged and in fine shape upon arrival. No set-up needed other than choosing your language.
Loaded five books using Calibre and I've been reading away. I love it!

It's so light and easy to hold for long periods. I thought I'd miss the "touch" feature, but I'm loving the page turns using the side buttons. And it's the perfect size for my pockets.

Forgot to finish charging it and it displayed an impossible to ignore low battery
warning symbol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyrus Mini Amazon.co.uk packaging..JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	101619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyrus Mini - Kobo Mini.JPG
Views:	1708
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	101620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacked - Pyrus Mini, Kobo Mini, Nook STR.JPG
Views:	2094
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	101621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Size - Kobo Mini, Pyrus Mini, Sony PRS-350.JPG
Views:	2401
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	101622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Size - Kobo Mini, Pyrus Mini, Nook STR.JPG
Views:	2734
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	101623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thickness - Kobo Mini, Pyrus Mini, Nook STR.JPG
Views:	915
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	101624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyrus Mini low battery warning.JPG
Views:	1326
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	101643  

Last edited by euro traveler; 02-21-2013 at 10:50 AM.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #79
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thanks for the nice comparison photos euro traveler. If I didn't have my PRS350, looking at those pics I'd be really tempted.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #80
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffenH View Post
After two replacements my TrekStor Pyrus Mini runs as expected. Up to now no crashes and good reactivity of buttons. My recommendation: Testing different fonts gives nice results, nearly as good as EInk Pearl. The high resolution is definitly an advantage of this cute reader.
How do you test different fonts? I cannot change my fonts...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #81
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
My user guide says fonts are only adjustable when viewing .txt files.
Kind of a bummer, but at least I find the default font acceptable.
Font size is adjustable on the epubs I'm reading.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #82
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Euro Traveler,

Have you been able to install the eReader suite that is on it and that we are supposed to install according to the manual. This is what gives you the updates and such. I tried to execute the application, on Windows and it said "Unable to read installer configuration - please check your internet connection and try again." Hmmm I tried disabling Kaspersky for a second but it made no difference. Have you got yours to install?

Other than that I really like mine a lot. It will be nice to just have in your pocket when you go someplace where you are expected to have a wait. usually I just take my fanny pack with my Kindle in it but this is so much better.

Thanks!
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #83
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
On the Pyrus you can only change fonts of txt-files. But using Calibre let you format fonts of your ebooks.
SteffenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #84
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Does it display embedded fonts?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #85
euro traveler
Connoisseur

Uh-oh, I broke it:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer1 View Post
Euro Traveler,

Have you been able to install the eReader suite that is on it and that we are supposed to install according to the manual. This is what gives you the updates and such. I tried to execute the application, on Windows and it said "Unable to read installer configuration - please check your internet connection and try again."
Thanks!
I get the same error message. I wouldn't have even tried installing the TrekStor eReader Suite, except for your request which got me curious.
After having it fail to install, I went to TrekStor's website and found a newer version of the suite.

That one got a little farther along the installation process before giving the same error message. I even tried connecting through a server in Germany, but it didn't make a difference.

latepaul, I can't seem to make my Pyrus display any other font choices with epubs. I tried converting an epub with Calibre and embeding a comic font, but it didn't change what showed on the reader. I also tried several different
epubs from different sources and they all look the same.

I loaded a text file and then it gave the option to change the font style, but
there are only two choices available, the default Sans Serif, and the optional Serif. And if you change it to Serif, it doesn't "stick" but reverts to Sans Serif when the text file is reopened.

Okay, here's what happened to my Mini. After I downloaded the newer version of their eReader Suite, I copied it into the Mini's memory as instructed. This replaced the pre-installed, older version of the Suite Installer, since they had the same file name. I then double-clicked on the new Installer Suite and it got a bit farther along the installation process, but then gave the same error as before.

I then wanted to delete the various books and files I had added to test the fonts, but the reader no longer shows up using Calibre. Checking under My Computer shows it no longer listed as the TrekStor reader, now it shows as "Removable Disk (J: )". The other drive associated with it remained the same, "Removable Disk (K: )".

I can't access the reader at all now. Windows just gives me, "Please insert a disk into Drive J" message when I try to open it.

I tried both "Format Device", as well as a Factory Reset using a paper clip and neither made any difference. Except that the epubs I had loaded onto it are all gone now. But the Word document and text file are still there and readable.

Sigh, Guess I'll be testing out TrekStor's warranty program.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #86
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Euro Traveler,

Sorry about that, as if I understand correctly you can't access the device at all? I did the same as you, I visited the Trekstor site and saw it was an issue as it is the number 1 item in the FAQ. I downloaded the new ereader suite and just reanamed it to #2 version so I kept the original as well. Like you it got a little further but still the same error. So I sent an e-mail to their support and still waiting to hear. You didn't get the ereader suite for the pyrus by mistake and not the pyrus mini did you? If you have a mini SD card in it did you try removing it and seeing if it makes any difference? If you want/need I can e-mail you the original e-reader suite file. I will let you know what I hear from their support.

Sorry that happened to yours. I just wanted to make sure I get the updates when available but I see you can download the update for the original pyrus so I would like to believe you will be able to do the same when one is available.
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #87
euro traveler
Connoisseur

Fixed it, yay!

No worries, shorttimer1. Got it working again
Thanks for your offer of a copy of the original Installer file.
I might take you up on it later, but I'm going to avoid TrekStor's Suites for a while, hehe.
And, no, I'm not using a mini SD card with it.

Even though my pc's wouldn't recognize it, my Mini still came on and worked.
I went to the home screen, then pressed the "Display main and sub menu" button
(the one right next to the Home button) to bring up the menu
which includes the "Explorer" option.

I noticed that the Digital Editions folder now had one file in it, where before
it had been empty. I deleted this new file, machineinfo.ini (??), and tried
connecting it to a pc again. It worked! Everything is back to normal with it,
including Calibre recognizing it. Whew.

Curiously, all the files I had loaded (epubs, one Word doc, and a text file) are
all still there, even after doing a Format and Factory Reset. I was mistaken
that they had gotten wiped before, they had just disappeared from the home screen.
Maybe that machineinfo.ini file was preventing a clean reset.

After using TrekStor's Contact Us option, I signed into my Amazon.co.uk account and
easily started a return for replacement order which Amazon
acknowledged and accepted in just a few minutes.
They placed a replacement order and upgraded the shipping at no charge. And they
said they'd give me an 8GBP credit toward return shipping costs.

Then I fixed my Mini.

So I signed back into Amazon and was luckily able to cancel their replacement order. I was very impressed with how quickly Amazon got things done. Good to know in case of future problems within a 30 day return window.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #88
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
Nice toy, happy until now, good buy

CON: NO WAY to install TrekStor eReader Suite, the same "Unable to read installer configuration - please check your internet connection and try again." error...
Please, advice...

Last edited by Arbait; 02-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #89
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I ordered one too and received it a few days ago. It is suppose to be pink, but looks red to me. So far, I think it looks as good as e-ink. I am still in awe of how small it is.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #90
euro traveler
Connoisseur

Battery life

Since I use Calibre, I'm not worried about getting TrekStor's eReader Suite installed. But I am concerned about my new Mini having given me a low battery warning twice now, in less than a week of initial use. The first time I thought it was because I hadn't charged it fully, but it did it again yesterday after fully charging it two days earlier and only using it about 10 minutes since charging.

After the first warning, I went into the power settings and disabled autoshutdown and set the go to sleep time at 15 minutes.
I didn't think having it on standby (rather than off) would drain the battery much.
I recharged it yesterday and re-enabled the autoshutdown, setting it at an hour. I'll see how it does this week. My Sony PRS-350, Kobo Mini, and Nook STR all had long battery life right out of their boxes, and they will all go several weeks before getting low.

Battery Update 4 March 2013 Since changing the power settings to have the Mini Standy after 5 minutes and Shutdown after 1 hour, my Mini seems to be holding a charge well. I recharged it seven days ago and it stills shows a full battery after some light reading each day.

Last edited by euro traveler; 03-04-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: updated info