Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #136
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
My mom will be happy about all this. Maybe I'll give ebook borrowing a shot. For my use, borrowing an ebook would be nearly identical to buying it, other than possibly having to wait.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #137
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I thought it was funny last week when my library suddenly added new mobipocket format ebooks when they have been exclusively epub and pdf for the last year. Maybe this is the reason.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #138
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I thought it was funny last week when my library suddenly added new mobipocket format ebooks when they have been exclusively epub and pdf for the last year. Maybe this is the reason.

cheers
Not likely to be related. There are still folks who use Mobipocket reader; at one time, not so long ago, it was the most popular mobile reading system out there. And there will be Mobipocket reader people even after this agreement is implemented: they can't read Kindle ebooks even though the format is virtually identical.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
First off there are a whole lot of videophiles that will completely disagree with your statement.
Secondly epub is not more technically advanced. It is just open. Both are just simple to manipulate code.
Wrong on both accounts.

As for ePub, there is a good amount of things you can do that you cannot do with Mobipocket. For a quick example, have a look at Zelda's ePub edition of Three Men in a Boat (posted on MR) to see some things ePub can do that Mobipocket cannot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
I think you should tell your library that adding Mobipocket eBooks is a bad idea as it won't work for the Kindle. If they are doing this for the Kindle, then they are wrong and it's just wasting money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #141
ywen
ywen doesn't litterywen doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 3g
yeap good news.. kindle rocks

Last edited by ywen; 04-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
ywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #142
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you should tell your library that adding Mobipocket eBooks is a bad idea as it won't work for the Kindle. If they are doing this for the Kindle, then they are wrong and it's just wasting money.
I need some clarification regarding this statement. I download *.mobi files to my Kindle all the time.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #143
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I need some clarification regarding this statement. I download *.mobi files to my Kindle all the time.
He's referring to Mobipocket DRM, not mobi files in general. The "original" Mobipocket DRM is not Kindle compatible. DRM-free mobi and Amazon DRM'ed mobi are fine.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #144
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
He's referring to Mobipocket DRM, not mobi files in general. The "original" Mobipocket DRM is not Kindle compatible. DRM-free mobi and Amazon DRM'ed mobi are fine.
Hypothetically speaking (I'm sure that there are economic/business reasons for why Amazon wouldn't do this), could the Kindle firmware be updated to accept Mobipocket DRM? Or is there something about it that's just inherently incompatible?

Regarding libraries purchasing mobi books: do the libraries actually have copies of these files on their servers? Or do they purchase licenses and then send a request to OverDrive when a lbrary patron wishes to check out ebooks? It just seems like the most logical way to handle Amazon/Kindle library books is for the library to send the request to OverDrive as usual, which will then pass the request along to Amazon.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #145
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking (I'm sure that there are economic/business reasons for why Amazon wouldn't do this), could the Kindle firmware be updated to accept Mobipocket DRM? Or is there something about it that's just inherently incompatible?
Edited: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just ignore me. After I read it back to myself I realized I screwed up most of it.

Summary: Possibly because the DRMs operate differently. Beyond that I'm clueless.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 04-23-2011 at 02:39 PM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #146
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
please be advised that JS Wolf does not have a Kindle and has never used one. Monday may see the arrival of some of the more experienced Kindle users ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #147
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
please be advised that JS Wolf does not have a Kindle and has never used one. Monday may see the arrival of some of the more experienced Kindle users ;o)
Oh, I know that! I'm just a stickler for people backing up their claims.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #148
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I know that! I'm just a stickler for people backing up their claims.
understandable ;o). I just didn't want anyone to be led astray by advice from a non Kindle user
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #149
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Edited: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just ignore me. After I read it back to myself I realized I screwed up most of it.

Summary: Possibly because the DRMs operate differently. Beyond that I'm clueless.
I read somewhere (on this forum) that Mobipocket DRM ToS doesn't let you have any other sorts of DRM on your device or something like that..

But then again.. wasn't there that KindlePID script that allowed you to use Mobi DRM'd files on the Kindle?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #150
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wrong on both accounts.

As for ePub, there is a good amount of things you can do that you cannot do with Mobipocket. For a quick example, have a look at Zelda's ePub edition of Three Men in a Boat (posted on MR) to see some things ePub can do that Mobipocket cannot.
You seem to not fully understand the difference between hardware and software. Epub is software. Not hardware. Amazons version is also software. Amazons book software can be coded to do anything epub can do.. without a committee even. This is not a hardware thing unlike HD-DVD vs bluray which are two completely different hardware technologies.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote