Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Van we please have the full link? I do not click on link redirects as they could link to just about anywhere.
Full link is http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/17/k...ereads-joanna/

Although, the original letter is posted as comment #9 on this thread.

Last edited by RedRoverJ; 06-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

EDIT: oops, missed RedRoverJ's post
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Thanks very much for posting the original link and to Michael for coming here and discussing the issue with us.

I'm really happy with everything I've heard so far!

I don't mind have various ways to add content (whether it be drag and drop or an iTunes type option) just as long as one option works exactly the way it should and is explained in detail for new users inside their Kobo packaging.

Wish list, I'd love the bluetooth sync between my iPod Touch and the device. Sometimes it's just not practical to carry the Kobo so I do use my Touch for reading when I out and about. Michael, if you haven't already, check out our wish list thread. We can keep updating that.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Good news for sure. In the matching blog post on the kobobooks site, it is suggested that people who signed up for the beta program might get to test it out earlier. I signed up for the beta but have not heard anything. Michael, any idea if that is actually going to happen and when? Thanks.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
timlegge - shoot me an email at mtamblyn at kobobooks dot com and I'll hook you up with the right people on our dev team. You guys did great work on the Kobo driver, so would love to see how we can help out. PC-as-Bluetooth-Server is definitely in the "hmmm. I have no idea but it would be cool if you could..." category. Let me see what I can dig up.

treetotree - mlstein is correct. The US units left the manufacturer before the upgrade was complete, but we'll be making the update available in all markets.

thekidintheclock - unlikely. Makes sense for people to hold their praise until we walk the talk. It *is* a firmware upgrade - the ultimate high-wire act of dev/hardware/customer support, so there are sure to be some issues. All I can promise is that we'll do everything we can to get it out the door as fast as possible and help people through it.

ava0775 - Love the wishlist thread! We're checking it out all the time.

dantaipan - The beta's going to be tied to when we lock the final build of the release and run it through a pretty rigorous round of user testing, so beta start is still TBD. Registering for the beta is the best way to get early notice.
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
There's something on their blog as well:

Kobo Summer News
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Thank you very much for the feedback Michael!

I have to admit that I got worried after getting my Kobo... if I had made a good decision... all because of the problems I've had... battery issues and black dots on the screen.

Got myself a new one and I'm quite happy with it, even though the battery doesn't seem to go on as long as expected yet. But after reading your answers, I'm sure Kobo is the right way to go for me....

I'd only like if, in the future, we would be able to keep reading while charging the device....
that would be cool...

thanks!
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #23
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
To those following this thread, here is the link for details about the Kobo eReader firmware upgrade:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/06/30...mware-upgrade/

I've also cross-posted it to a new MR thread - here. I'll be checking in to answer questions and get your feedback as we roll this out. Thanks again for your patience and suggestions. They are really appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael Tamblyn, EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising - Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
thefruitysalad
thefruitysalad began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I just got my Kobo yesterday, I didn't know there were outstanding issues before I started using it. I was ready to send it back but I really like the look and feel of it and after reading Michael's reponses I feel good about keeping it and waiting for the US update. If all goes well a couple people from my office will be getting them as well.
thefruitysalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mTamblyn View Post
.....4. Charging Light
Used to: show nothing until it was charged and then turn red when it was done. (Okayyyy.....)
New release: turns red when it's charging, turns blue when it's done. (Makes more sense.).....
So I'm charging my unit for the first time since the upgrade. The light was red when I first plugged it in, about an hour and 45 mins ago. About 20 minutes ago I checked it, and now the red light is on as well as the blue one, right on top of it. Does that mean it's done? I called Kobo (because I'm ridiculously impatient), and the woman I spoke with said the red light will go off completely when the charge cycle is complete. Can anyone else confirm this? Just simply reading the "charging" page would tell me that it should have been either red or violet when I first plugged it in, but it was only red. The two lights on my device are two distinct colours, they don't run together to create a violet light at all.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
So I'm charging my unit for the first time since the upgrade. The light was red when I first plugged it in, about an hour and 45 mins ago. About 20 minutes ago I checked it, and now the red light is on as well as the blue one, right on top of it. Does that mean it's done? I called Kobo (because I'm ridiculously impatient), and the woman I spoke with said the red light will go off completely when the charge cycle is complete. Can anyone else confirm this? Just simply reading the "charging" page would tell me that it should have been either red or violet when I first plugged it in, but it was only red. The two lights on my device are two distinct colours, they don't run together to create a violet light at all.
When I charged mine after the update, it was red while charging and then about 2 hours later it was completely blue (I don't know about any violet light) and when I turned it on the battery indicator said it was full.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #27
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I've seen a violet coloured light, but not while charging. I think it was while starting up or shutting down...
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #28
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
I've seen the violet light described, when I unplugged it, the meter stated it was full but did drop one "bar" off fairly quickly.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #29
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
I've seen the violet light described, when I unplugged it, the meter stated it was full but did drop one "bar" off fairly quickly.
What if device is powered on and off few times?
Does it work correctly a reader?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
It works fine as a reader, its been powered on and off a lot. It gets a lot of use so I never know how many page turns I have done. I have never run out of battery but I generally dont go that long between charges.

As I've said before I generally dont pay that much attention to the battery meter I just charge it often.

I suspect the "purple" (red and blue on together) is the kobo telling me that its pretty close to being charged but isn't quite there yet. I've seen the red on alone and the blue on alone in the past. I generally have pulled it on when its on "purple" as I want to read at that time.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote