Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only cover I have enough experience with is that of the 505. And the cover does not shadow anything while reading. And it's handy for helping to hold the 505 so you don't end up pressing buttons by mistake.
I agree with you, except for this one difference: The only time a shadow is cast is due to poor lighting, or the angle of my body to that lighting.

Otherwise, I have no problem; and when I do, it's easily fixed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree with you, except for this one difference: The only time a shadow is cast is due to poor lighting, or the angle of my body to that lighting.

Otherwise, I have no problem; and when I do, it's easily fixed.

Don
yes, shadowing is due to the angle of the lighting and other things nearby including the person reading. And yes it is easily fixed. So I don't see how someone can say that the cover on the 505 causes shadows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #33
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
A sleeve will only provide protection as long as the reader is in the sleeve. And when you are reading, that protection is gone. Do you want some protection at all times or do you want times with no protection at all?
First, it's not necessarily "protection at all times." Plenty of cases won't wind up providing much protection if you drop the device. A thin case that doesn't cover 100% of the device won't provide much protection when transporting the device -- certainly less than a well-padded sleeve.

Second, I don't need protection when reading. I'm not even particularly dexterous, I'm just capable of using an electronic device, including places like on a subway, without dropping the thing. Again, it's a personal preference.

Third, I for one find that cases tend to be annoying. I can use my e-book reader very easily without fussing with the case, can hold it easier without the extra weight or material, can grab it and start reading without fussing with the case, and so forth. Again, personal preference.

Or to put it another way: If you sell the device with a case, some people will be happy and others will want a sleeve anyway. Sell it with a sleeve, some people will be happy and others will want a case anyway. The rational choice would be to sell it without either and pass the savings on to the customer. Though somehow I expect the latter part of that formulation gets dropped every now and then....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So get a sleeve to put the reader with case in. But to be honest, I've had a reader for about 3 yars now and I've only had a cover and the cover has protected the reader just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #35
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
So get a sleeve to put the reader with case in. But to be honest, I've had a reader for about 3 yars now and I've only had a cover and the cover has protected the reader just fine.
That's fantastic, but again... this is YOUR preference. If I had gotten a cover with my reader, all it would've done is collect dust -- especially if it was thin, cheap, not made of a material I like, not a color I want, etc.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #36
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
JS Wolf has a valid point

Dear ALL:

There are essentially four types of "covering":

1. A simple pouch.

2. A simple case that holds the device but offers little protection.

3. A protective case (crush-resistant) that costs extra.

4. A crush-resistant case that is standard and included.

Astak's devices come WITH a fine crush-resistant case with magnetic clasp. It holds the unit firmly, helps eliminate twisting, and helps guard against drops. NOTHING can eliminate abuse... but the Astak case is about the best protection out there and it is included!

WHY? For the same reason we provide earbuds and wrist leashes and a replaceable rechargeable battery and AC charger and USB cable IN THE BOX. Building a better device means we care enough to help you protect it from the day you buy it. It is WHY Astak is a better value. It is not just a better price than the others... it is a better value!!

ALL manufacturers should provide the same.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
First, it's not necessarily "protection at all times." Plenty of cases won't wind up providing much protection if you drop the device. A thin case that doesn't cover 100% of the device won't provide much protection when transporting the device -- certainly less than a well-padded sleeve.

Second, I don't need protection when reading. I'm not even particularly dexterous, I'm just capable of using an electronic device, including places like on a subway, without dropping the thing. Again, it's a personal preference.

Third, I for one find that cases tend to be annoying. I can use my e-book reader very easily without fussing with the case, can hold it easier without the extra weight or material, can grab it and start reading without fussing with the case, and so forth. Again, personal preference.

Or to put it another way: If you sell the device with a case, some people will be happy and others will want a sleeve anyway. Sell it with a sleeve, some people will be happy and others will want a case anyway. The rational choice would be to sell it without either and pass the savings on to the customer. Though somehow I expect the latter part of that formulation gets dropped every now and then....
Both my netbook and my laptop travel in slide in sleeves or bags. My PDA also has a sleeve or a hip case depending on how I carry it. None of them have the case on when I am using them. My eReader does have a case that can fold back 180 degrees when I use it. That makes it convenient but if I dropped it on its face it would likely break. Nothing is fool proof. Jon tends to use superlatives and his opinion is the only one that counts.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #38
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Maybe because it is cheaper to include with the reader, saving them a little money so they can sell the reader a little cheaper...
you honestly believe it is so they can be sold cheaper? hardly...it is so the production costs are a few cents less per unit in order to INCREASE the profit margin. It has zero to do with making the device cheaper to the consumer. As corporations go, if you walk in to buy their product with $10 they want you to leave having spent $25...as in paying extra for a good cover.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #39
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear ALL:

There are essentially four types of "covering":

1. A simple pouch.

2. A simple case that holds the device but offers little protection.

3. A protective case (crush-resistant) that costs extra.

4. A crush-resistant case that is standard and included.

Astak's devices come WITH a fine crush-resistant case with magnetic clasp. It holds the unit firmly, helps eliminate twisting, and helps guard against drops. NOTHING can eliminate abuse... but the Astak case is about the best protection out there and it is included!

WHY? For the same reason we provide earbuds and wrist leashes and a replaceable rechargeable battery and AC charger and USB cable IN THE BOX. Building a better device means we care enough to help you protect it from the day you buy it. It is WHY Astak is a better value. It is not just a better price than the others... it is a better value!!

ALL manufacturers should provide the same.
Seriously you need to being PAYING the site for your constant advertising your products over others. I am not joking here...this has gotten old.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #40
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Why is it we are seeing 5" screened eink devices coming with a sleeve and not a proper cover? They need a cover just as much as a 6" screen. They are just as susceptible to breakage as a 6" screen.
Excellent point...and again a place where Sony was years ahead of the curve with their nx73v/nx80v devices as they were a clam-shell like case with a rotating hinge at the top so to open it you flip the top up, rotate it to have the display facing you then close it and viola you have a case you cannot lose as well as excellent protection for the display itself when rotated into the closed position.

Great picture showing the design...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=nx73v&w=all

Really, this thing has some of the best ergos of any device I ever owned...and the shell itself is some sort of metal or Mg-Alloy...

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-03-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: better images and more examples
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #41
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i only once dropped my cybook. almost had a heart attack as we have hardwood floors. it hit on the corner, and luckily the cover is fairly strong and thick, and protrudes past the unit, so it not only kept the unit from touching the hard floor but acted as a shock absorber and the screen was fine. if i get a reader without a cover, i'll definitely buy one for it asap!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i only once dropped my cybook. almost had a heart attack as we have hardwood floors. it hit on the corner, and luckily the cover is fairly strong and thick, and protrudes past the unit, so it not only kept the unit from touching the hard floor but acted as a shock absorber and the screen was fine. if i get a reader without a cover, i'll definitely buy one for it asap!
I once dropped my PDA, but not on a wooden floor, but on stone. I didn't have the cover on. It survived (still don't know how...) but I think it would have been better protected in a sleeve than in the cover. The sleeve has "extra air", which will act as a shock absorber.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote