Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cybook for US Customer?

Like many others, I'm contemplating the jump into ebooks. Being in the US, my impression is that Kindle and Sony are the two best choices for light fiction use, mostly when traveling. I sense that Cybook may be difficult to get supported if it should have any of the various problems I've read about, and the Illiad seems like over overkill for its intended choice.
Does this analysis seem sensible?
Thanks
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a point of view, to be sure. Not one that I entirely agree with, but I'm sure that many people would.

I look at the software side of things as my highest priority - all the 6" eInk devices use the same screen, and all are reasonably reliable if treated with care. My main priority is good MobiPocket support, and the CyBook currently offers the best support for that format. Mobi gives you the maximum flexibility in buying books (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Either the Kindle or the Sony should meet your needs. You can go to a store to see a Sony if you want, and the Kindle has a 30-day return policy. Amazon's service (usually they just send you a new one) and support is outstanding. Using the device primarily when traveling you may want to use the vendor's ebook store exclusively, and in this area Amazon has the best selection, convenience, and price. If you want to shop in multiple ebook stores, then the Sony and Kindle are more evenly matched.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My main priority is good MobiPocket support, and the CyBook currently offers the best support for that format. Mobi gives you the maximum flexibility in buying books (IMHO).
Well... Kindle works with mobi books very well (kindlefix needed if you are talking DRMed). No there are no user fonts and only 1 current dictionary... but, if you compare Bookeens customer support to Amazon there is no contest. To me that is more important. The Kindle store has everything you would find in a mobipocket store and more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can anyone who has purchased the Cybook in the US help me interpret the online ordering options? Booken itself seems to offer the basic unit for $350 US and a package for $450 US (although the charger seems to European only), plus about $30 US shipping. I assume this means the item is shipped from France? BooksonBoard seems to be the US distributor, and sells the basic unit for $389 (which they claim is a $60 savings from some price) Are these the only options? Is so, which is preferred?
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
Booken itself seems to offer the basic unit for $350 US and a package for $450 US (although the charger seems to European only), plus about $30 US shipping. I assume this means the item is shipped from France? BooksonBoard seems to be the US distributor, and sells the basic unit for $389 (which they claim is a $60 savings from some price) Are these the only options? Is so, which is preferred?
Personally, if I were going to buy, I would get it from BoB. I would probably also get their accident plan. The BoB actually is a package that comes with a cover and charger I think. There is a message here somewhere that states what is included but I can't find it. you might want to email them and ask what comes with it for the price.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Books on Board has a pre-order promo going on now, the price is $389.00 US:

Promo Package includes:
  1. Black Leather Case 512 MB Storage on Board
  2. USB Charger USB Cable
  3. $50 toward ebooks or downloadable audiobooks
  4. 1 GB SD Card loaded with the Century Bundle - a $50.00 value. Includes 100 all-time favorite classics
  5. All necessary software including Mobipocket

You can find the Optional Accidental Damage Policy details under Buy Now tab. I purchased the Policy for the '1 free screen replacement,' just in case.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i got mine from booksonboard. it came with cover and charger, and please note that it also comes with $50 worth of ebooks, certainly a plus.

btw, booksonboard has some of the friendliest support i've ever received. i wanted to buy the damage policy after the cybook, and when i asked them about this, i mentioned the cybook was a birthday present. they sent me to a link they created just for me just hours later. it not only let me buy the damage plan but also wished me a happy birthday
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, one the reasons i bought the Cybook is that i'm french. So makes buying / support easier. And I could get it in shop (spares the risk of posting). And the fact the the other posibility (aka the illiad) had no replacable batery. (with a 600 euro thingy, i expect to use it for more than a battery's lifetime..)

And , yes i think they are shipped from france. (At least they are when you order from france.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote