Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #166
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'd say you're better off returning the PW's for a refund and buying one new rather than getting a replacement. Good luck.
The problem is that I got this as a Christmas gift from someone who lives an hour away. I'm assuming she would have to re-order and then get it to me again. I hate to ask her to do that, and I'm reluctant to involve her at all because she'd feel bad that her Christmas present has issues.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #167
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
The problem is that I got this as a Christmas gift from someone who lives an hour away. I'm assuming she would have to re-order and then get it to me again. I hate to ask her to do that, and I'm reluctant to involve her at all because she'd feel bad that her Christmas present has issues.
Ah I understand. That does make it tricky. Maybe you could talk to someone at kindle support and explain to them you've had it less than a month and you want to make sure you are getting a new replacement from a newer 503 batch? I'm not saying I think the newer ones are necessarily any better, but it seems some people are having better luck with them. Worth a try, I think. Good luck!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #168
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Ah I understand. That does make it tricky. Maybe you could talk to someone at kindle support and explain to them you've had it less than a month and you want to make sure you are getting a new replacement from a newer 503 batch? I'm not saying I think the newer ones are necessarily any better, but it seems some people are having better luck with them. Worth a try, I think. Good luck!
I did talk to a support rep about that, and they said that there was no way they could guarantee that this replacement would be from a newer batch. She seemed confused about the fact that I knew this replacement was from an earlier batch than my original one. I brought up the serial numbers, and she didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. Ah well...
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #169
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I did talk to a support rep about that, and they said that there was no way they could guarantee that this replacement would be from a newer batch. She seemed confused about the fact that I knew this replacement was from an earlier batch than my original one. I brought up the serial numbers, and she didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. Ah well...
That's when you hang up and call back during business hours on a work day. Otherwise you get clueless outsource support.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #170
CindyLynn
CindyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, Nook HD
I just ordered a KPW and it should be here friday. Fingers crossed that its a good unit. I will report back when i get it.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #171
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
well, even my 503 with decoloration, is considered a good unit.
I don't think it's worth returning for; going through all the trouble, missing out on the fun for 2 weeks...
Besides, even if there is decoloration, or hue change, you won't notice once your mind sets on reading the book.
It's very gradual. And if you're reading the book and still notice, means you're not really into the book, or are just reading too slow.
Pushing your reading to 3-4x speed of regular reading (also called speed reading) should get your mind off the colors
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #172
CindyLynn
CindyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, Nook HD
A little discoloration wont bother me. As long as i can read the text. Than i will be happy.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #173
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
You can find the SN under manage your devices on your Amazon page or on the actual device from the home page tap the menu button, then settings, then the menu button again, and then device info.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back with my appreciation. I checked my PW and it's a 503. Just a beautiful screen.

I AM surprised that so many people who are receiving new PWs are still gettinig some with problem screens.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #174
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I AM surprised that so many people who are receiving new PWs are still gettinig some with problem screens.
So am I. Rather disappointing really.

I had cancelled my UK preorder before it shipped and had decided to wait until January so see if QC had got any better after the initial rush... The still-recurring screen issues, combined with the shorter battery life and reduced on-board storage means that I've now decided to hang onto my K3 a while longer and will see what the next model has to offer when it comes out.

I know that I could get one now and return it if I'm not happy with it, but frankly I can't be bothered My now-over-2-years-old K3 is so far still working fine (fingers crossed!) and even if it does have a tantrum and dies, I think I'd just go for the cheap basic Kindle to replace it.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #175
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Sorry it took so long for me to get back with my appreciation. I checked my PW and it's a 503. Just a beautiful screen.
You're very welcome. I'm glad you're happy with it!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #176
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Thanks a lot for advice. I am going to get it brought to me to India by a friend, so I'll have to wait a bit longer, but I do plan to be patient. I'll try to adjust the light the way it suits me best and see how it goes.
And even if it doesn't work, I still have my good old KB
Hi, did you get your Kindle? If yes, how is it? I'm in India as well and was considering getting one when a friend of mine comes down from the US. This thread is making me wonder though if a defective piece can actually ruin the fun!
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #177
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Hi, did you get your Kindle? If yes, how is it? I'm in India as well and was considering getting one when a friend of mine comes down from the US. This thread is making me wonder though if a defective piece can actually ruin the fun!
I didn't get PW yet...A friend has just taken it to Europe, and then my colleague will bring it to India mid Jan. But it's still a PW from US, so it doesn't really matter if you bring to India or anywhere else...I think if you want to be on the safe side you can wait for few months...Though, from what I've been reading, Amazon has pretty much improved existing PW.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #178
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

My feeling for those on the fence about the PW, and who think they will, or know they will, be bothered by discolorations to wait until the next version of the PW.

I just spoke with someone today who returned theirs back in October for a refund and they just received a new one (a 503) today hoping it was fixed and they said it clearly has color hues so they are returning it.

I mention this solely for people who are on the fence about the PW and want to know for sure if the color hue problem still exists. Obviously it hasn't been resolved if even a few people are still getting ones with hues. So I believe it's still the luck of the draw.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #179
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
My feeling for those on the fence about the PW, and who think they will, or know they will, be bothered by discolorations to wait until the next version of the PW.

I just spoke with someone today who returned theirs back in October for a refund and they just received a new one (a 503) today hoping it was fixed and they said it clearly has color hues so they are returning it.

I mention this solely for people who are on the fence about the PW and want to know for sure if the color hue problem still exists. Obviously it hasn't been resolved if even a few people are still getting ones with hues. So I believe it's still the luck of the draw.
I think I shall follow your advice. I already have a very nice Sony 650 which I love. Considering that it will be nigh on impossible for me to do the whole return/refund rigmarole, I'm willing to wait until I can be reasonably assured of a first class product.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #180
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
I think I shall follow your advice. I already have a very nice Sony 650 which I love. Considering that it will be nigh on impossible for me to do the whole return/refund rigmarole, I'm willing to wait until I can be reasonably assured of a first class product.
I think you are absolutely right. And by the time Amazon improves PW, they might start to sell it in Chroma's shops in India or if not, they will start the international shipping.
In my case, I just simply couldn't miss the opportunity given to me by all these people traveling the world empty handed
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote