Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
How to get B&N purchased book onto Literati?

I have done a search and can not seem to find the answer. I downloaded a free B&N book(Carved In Bone). I tried putting it in my adobe digital editions and I get "Document is licensed for a different user account". I thought B&N was EPUB so I could get it onto my Literati. Am I not able to buy ebooks from B&N and put on my reader? I tried Calibre and it said it was DRM protected.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you have discovered, free does not necessarily mean DRM-free.

B&N ebooks are ePubs, but with B&N's own password-based DRM scheme that involves info from a credit card (name and number).

Sometimes an ebook is free in several ebook stores, so you might be able to find it with Adobe DRM.

My advise is to always strip the DRM (Adobe or B&N) before importing to Calibre. That way you are safe if Adobe or B&N gets out of the ebook business (Adobe abandoned DRMed ebooks once before). This can now be done completely transparently using 3rd party plugins to Calibre. See Apprentice Alf's Blog and the tools_3.0 bundle. Note that this also works with Kindle ebooks via K4PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
cjrenick

Will this also be the case for the magazines on B&N? I was hoping to get Men's Health and sideload it onto my Literati. Kobobooks has pretty lame magazines.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I have found that almost everything I downloaded from B&N did have DRM protection. The only way to know for certain however is to download a sample of the magazine you want and see what happens. Or you can always strip the DRM. You just have to search for the information on Google (the rules don't allow us to put any info here).
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You can't without removing the DRM.

I can't help you with the magazines but that book is also free at BooksOnBoard.com and you can put that version onto your machine.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=767399

Last edited by abookreader; 01-04-2011 at 08:37 AM.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
cjrenick

Thanks, but it said that the title was not available for download when I tried to check out. Anybody else having the same problem?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
stevecb
stevecb began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Literati
Hi, Trying to get wife's nook files onto a literati.I used the method at Apprentice Alf involving Calibre plug ins and can get the book into Calibre and ADE fine, so I am assuming it's Drm free now, but after loading into literati, the book will not open. Error message" please use your adobe id to authorize your ereader to view content protected with adobe mobile reader technology" The book reads fine in Calibre and ADE and I tried a demo of another drm remover and was able to load nook books onto the literati. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?
stevecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Did you find the "converted copy" in the Calibre library? That would be the one needed. And I'd guess that you do have to convert, even from epub to epub but the drm would be removed???
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote