Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
12 Greatest Science Fiction War Stories

Interesting list over at io9. I might quibble with order, and I'd have included Battlefield Earth as well, but over all good choices.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Thanks for that, a few are already on my TBR list, others i have added. I too would have included Battlefield Earth.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
"We asked on our Facebook page what your favorite science fiction war stories"

and then the large unwashed masses threw up a bunch of movies and space operas
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Interesting list over at io9. I might quibble with order, and I'd have included Battlefield Earth as well, but over all good choices.
The title said great, not "So bad, you wish you had the part of your life you wasted reading Battlefield Earth back".

Also, NuBSG just doesn't belong there. It was awful. Babylon 5 belongs there instead. B5 just had so much going for it on so many levels and it was original. Not a poor imitation of an original classic.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The title said great, not "So bad, you wish you had the part of your life you wasted reading Battlefield Earth back".

Also, NuBSG just doesn't belong there. It was awful. Babylon 5 belongs there instead. B5 just had so much going for it on so many levels and it was original. Not a poor imitation of an original classic.
Babylon 5 was great. I didn't even make it through 1 season of BSG, it was dullsville. But B5 had the war with the shadows, a revolution on earth, etc. There was just so much going on in a show that only lasted 5 seasons by the skin of its teeth.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Babylon 5 was great. I didn't even make it through 1 season of BSG, it was dullsville. But B5 had the war with the shadows, a revolution on earth, etc. There was just so much going on in a show that only lasted 5 seasons by the skin of its teeth.
And the graphics for B5 were done on Amigas with NuTek Video Toasters. Very revolutionary for the the time.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't consider B5 to be a "war story" despite the light vs. dark (really order vs. chaos) backdrop. I do like most of the rest of the picks but there are other worthies. Like Hammer's Slammers or Bolo.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yeah well, everyone has opinions, and other things. I thought the book was entertaining, not because it was original, but because it included just about every well worn SF trope in one story.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I saw one review of BFE that suggested every aspiring author should read it and study it and swear *never* to write anything like it.
(Or was it Heinlein's Number of the Beast?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I saw one review of BFE that suggested every aspiring author should read it and study it and swear *never* to write anything like it.
(Or was it Heinlein's Number of the Beast?)
It would have been Battlefield Earth. I read it and found it to awful and that's on a good day. It's worse then a pile of flaming poo with a dead skunk next to it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
It would have been Battlefield Earth. I read it and found it to awful and that's on a good day. It's worse then a pile of flaming poo with a dead skunk next to it.
So true.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I avoided BFE because of the reviews and the writer's real world rep.
But Number of the Beast I read. (Bleaarrgg!)
Last Heinlein book I bought for a decade. Meandering, bloated, and self-indulgent. Low-point of an otherwise excellent career.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I love Firefly, but a war story? Wouldn't be on my list.

The rest pretty much hit all the sweet spots. Starship Troopers, The Forever War, Star Wars, Armor, Old Man's War. All sound good to me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
jatkin
Enthusiast
jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jatkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ender's Game is one of the best for sure,glad to see it on the list. It will be interesting to see how the story works as a movie (I believe it's in post production right now)
jatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Last Heinlein book I bought for a decade. Meandering, bloated, and self-indulgent. Low-point of an otherwise excellent career.
Heinlein lost me with "Stranger in a Strange Land". Still love his early work, but haven't read anything newer.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote