Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
iMav
iMav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Creating Bible e-books for the Kindle

I have several public domain Bible translations that I have loaded in a database (each verse is it's own, separate record). Which simply means that with a little scripting work, I can populate these translations into whatever format I choose.

What I am looking for is some direction, documentation, etc that I can use to migrate this content to the Kindle. Specifically, I want to make sure that it is easily navigatible to specific book/chapter/verse.

Is there documentation and/or tools available to help me achieve this?
iMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMav View Post
I have several public domain Bible translations that I have loaded in a database (each verse is it's own, separate record). Which simply means that with a little scripting work, I can populate these translations into whatever format I choose.

What I am looking for is some direction, documentation, etc that I can use to migrate this content to the Kindle. Specifically, I want to make sure that it is easily navigatible to specific book/chapter/verse.

Is there documentation and/or tools available to help me achieve this?
You can use MobiPocket Creator format your books for the Kindle. I'm assuming you're using Windows.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
There is really nothing like that for the Kindle user yet, specifically the navigation features you are wanting
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would certainly be interested in seeing your final product. The best version I've found so far is from Fictionwise. It has hyperlinks to the individual books of the Bible, then you scroll to the chapter and verse. However, the chapters and verses are arranged in paragraphs instead of colums of verses, so it takes a little getting used to.

Good luck with your project!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
There is really nothing like that for the Kindle user yet, specifically the navigation features you are wanting
I think if iMav uses a lot of anchor links it would be easier to navigate. I have a couple of copies of the Bible on my Kindle, and basically they have links to each chapter and a link back to the TOC at the top of each book.

iMav, you may want to download some free samples of other Bibles formatted for the Kindle from Amazon to see how they are set up and see what you would do differently.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
However, the chapters and verses are arranged in paragraphs instead of colums of verses, so it takes a little getting used to.
Isn't that better for reading, though? "Chapters" and "verses" are, after all, a completely artificial system introduced in the middle ages - they very often have little or no correspondence with the natural "breaks" in the text. Presumably it is the text that one wishes to read, rather than stopping at an arbitrary point where someone decided to "end" a verse?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't that better for reading, though? "Chapters" and "verses" are, after all, a completely artificial system introduced in the middle ages - they very often have little or no correspondence with the natural "breaks" in the text. Presumably it is the text that one wishes to read, rather than stopping at an arbitrary point where someone decided to "end" a verse?
It is an arbitrary system, but when it comes to finding stuff in the Bible it has become the universally used reference system, so it would be very handy for people needing to find Bible references to be able to use it.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Does Kindle include a search inside the book? If so the system I use on the eBookwise is to code the chapter and verse leading each verse in the text and then you can use the TOC to find the book and then search for the chapter and verse. Something like 2:24. As a second ability I put the book name just ahead of the chapter number on a line by itself ahead of each chapter.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Does Kindle include a search inside the book?
Yes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

True, it does read more smoothly. I'm just used to the traditional chapter and verse method of searching. I'm not complaining, mind you, because it works just fine. In fact, just last week I was reading a scifi story and it talked about the legend of the red calf bringing about the end of the world. It gave chapter and verse, so I just whipped over to that passage and read it. Very cool way to find the referenced material.

Sweet Elsi mailed me an 8 MB smart media card that she could no longer use, so I'm putting the Bible and religious stuff on it. That way, nobody will be able to see and judge me for having all the scifi/witchy/spooky stories.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
This doesn't help in "how to format my data" as a Bible, but I like the TNIV version sold by Amazon. They have a sample (all of Genesis, I think?) The main index gets you to the book, which has a link to each chapter.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This doesn't help in "how to format my data" as a Bible, but I like the TNIV version sold by Amazon. They have a sample (all of Genesis, I think?) The main index gets you to the book, which has a link to each chapter.
Those chapter links are what is missing from mine that I got at eBookwise. It has links to books, but then you must scroll. I don't have the time or patience to tear it apart and put it back together again with links. At least my EB-1150 lets me put bookmarks and then flip to those quickly.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Those chapter links are what is missing from mine that I got at eBookwise. It has links to books, but then you must scroll. I don't have the time or patience to tear it apart and put it back together again with links. At least my EB-1150 lets me put bookmarks and then flip to those quickly.
Your EB-1150 also lets you search. That should find things pretty quickly without scrolling.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Your EB-1150 also lets you search. That should find things pretty quickly without scrolling.

Dale

I'll try it! Why didn't I think of this?