Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Timber
Enthusiast
Timber began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Macbook Pro, Kindle
PRS-505/SC loses collections whenever I sync

Hi All, love the site. Lots of useful information.

Got a quick question about the Sony Reader that I'm hoping one of you can help with.

Whenever I plug in my reader to my PC, it loses all the collections I put on it. The books are still there, but the collection meta information seems to be gone. Any ideas.

Some supplemental information to try to answer some of the troubleshooting type questions you will have.

1. Reader is a PRS-505/SC.

2. The ebooks I am reading are converted from their native format using Kovid Goyal's tool Calibre. (love the tool. Wish I could figure out how to make collections in it).

3. There's only 200 MB or so internal storage on the reader, so most of my books are on an SD card. I think I read an issue about collections on an SD card somewhere but dang if I can remember where. BTW I also get some really long start up times when the SD card is inserted. Not all that much on it. Just 1 GB, but really long (2 minute+) load times.

4. Content is loaded to the reader using the Sony reader software from the .LRF files made by Calibre.

Any suggestions you guys have would be much apreciated.
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
2. The ebooks I am reading are converted from their native format using Kovid Goyal's tool Calibre. (love the tool. Wish I could figure out how to make collections in it).
RTFM at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...he-sony-reader

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Timber
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks Bob. Another dumb question on the same topic. Kovid's site says

"Can I use the collections feature of the SONY reader?¶
calibre has full support for collections. When you add tags to a book’s metadata, those tags are turned into collections when you upload the book to the SONY reader. Also, the series information is automatically turned into a collection on the reader. Note that the PRS-500 does not support collections for books stored on the SD card. The PRS-505 does.
"

It looks like it makes collections from both tags and series.

Am I correct in assuming that means that it looks in the series field first and makes a collection from it if available, and if not it uses the tags to make a series?

Also any idea why the collection meta information goes away when I plug in the reader? The books are still there and I get to them using the alpha search on title or author, but after I plug in the reader and run the sony reader software to add more content, it tells me books 860, collections 0
Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that means that it looks in the series field first and makes a collection from it if available, and if not it uses the tags to make a series?
I am not sure which is uses first. Can a book be in more than one collection on the Sony, I've never tired it.

Quote:
Also any idea why the collection meta information goes away when I plug in the reader? The books are still there and I get to them using the alpha search on title or author, but after I plug in the reader and run the sony reader software to add more content, it tells me books 860, collections 0
No idea, are you using a 500 or 505? I know the 500 does support collections on the memory cards.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
... Whenever I plug in my reader to my PC, it loses all the collections ...
I have no clue, this is not typically behavior. However from reading you issue # 3 I believe that you might have a corrupted catch file in your memory card. Ever since I've switch from a 256MB card to a 2GB card I've noticed the SONY reader tends to corrupt the catch a lot more. (I think this is more of an issue from going from SanDisk SD card to a generic brand).

See if this fixes your problem. Delete all of the data on your card. Re-sync with your SONY eBook Library software. Then re-load the books.

Quote:
Series or Tags. If you use tags you can search on them. However I use Series just because tags don't support capitalization.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-09-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote formatting
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I was having the collections disappear problem fairly often until I installed the updated software Sony released a month or so ago. No problems so far using the newer version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Timber
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I was having the collections disappear problem fairly often until I installed the updated software Sony released a month or so ago. No problems so far using the newer version.
Glad to hear it's not just me

I think X is right. The cache is getting corrupted.

If I had to take a scientific wild-ass guess as to what's causing the problem, I'd think it's related to the really long load times on the reader when using the 2 GB SD card.

What I've seen is that when I have the reader on and have given it the extended startup time it wants before I plug it into the PC and load their library software everything seems to work ok.

When I just plug it straight in after being off for a while the problems pop up. Things like it not recognizing that anything is on the SD card or losing all collections etc.

I'm betting that I'm bumping into a time out somewhere while it's still polling the SD card.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Tibor
Enthusiast
Tibor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have the same problem too. has anybody solved this isssue ?
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, prs-505, sony reader, troubleshooting