Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Exclamation SSH encrypted tunnel to avoid Amazon snooping?

I searched around a bit, but all I got was this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=111996&page=2
As you can see, the above post just digresses into tethering and dies... But sadly, without a solution.

So, here it is in full form:
We all know about the Amazon 'proxy' server through which all our 3G data is routed. Amazon can easily snoop on what's happening... So I was thinking of using my web host/computer as a second 'nested' proxy. i.e. All data between my Kindle and computer will be encrypted over SSH, thus reducing chances of Amazon snooping.

Is there a way to establish an SSH tunnel so that all 3G (Browser atleast) data is routed encrypted through my computer?
MyPreciousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Yes, the usbnetwork package installs dropbear which supports local/remote port forwarding (use that to connect to an ssh server running apache with proxy software)
That should tunnel all browser requests sent to the home server proxy page.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
That should tunnel all browser requests sent to the home server proxy page.
Can you explain the steps required? to tunnel all Kindle requests through that proxy?

or some links to start with?
MyPreciousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
kenchy
kenchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3GB
The information in the link you posted is incorrect. Just because they proxy the traffic on port 80 doesn't mean they can read the traffic. So if privacy is your main concern you could use a straight SSL proxy.

My understanding (and experience) is that plain SSH does not work over 3G. The amazon proxy checks all traffic for the kindle ID in the headers.

The information here is a good start. http://openduck.com/2010/11/27/hoora...ng-the-kindle/

I have a pre-patched corkscrew which I have been meaning to post for a while, which takes the kindle ID as an argument. Although I couldn't get it to work with dropbear so compiled the openssh client.

Once I did all that and got it working I realised I had no use for it so lost interest!
kenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchy View Post
I have a pre-patched corkscrew which I have been meaning to post for a while, which takes the kindle ID as an argument. Although I couldn't get it to work with dropbear so compiled the openssh client.

Once I did all that and got it working I realised I had no use for it so lost interest!

I'm interested in this corkscrew. Can you provide it to the community please? Thanks.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I'm interested in this corkscrew. Can you provide it to the community please? Thanks.
Corkscrew with x-fsn support has primarily been used as a tethering tool to steal 3G service from amazon. Please do not post it here. Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Corkscrew with x-fsn support has primarily been used as a tethering tool to steal 3G service from amazon. Please do not post it here. Thanks.
Oops sorry I didn't know about this, and this was definitely not my intention (actually I like Amazon and I promote not abusing their awesome service).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 02-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
In my opinion, using the x-fsn header in an application that actually enhances the kindle, like building a better web browser that works on the kindle, is acceptable use. Using the x-fsn header to download unapproved files, or to export amazon 3G service to a non-Kindle computer (tethering) is unacceptable. Tools like corkscrew that supply 3G service to any application or external device fall into the second (unacceptable) category. You should build x-fsn support into each application that needs it, and follow the amazon rules about what content may be downloaded by their webkit browser. Of course, Wi-Fi access should bypass the amazon proxy and use the local Wi-Fi connection, to download unrestricted content. The application must be "3G-aware" and follow the rules when it uses 3G.

At least, that is my opinion. Just remember the Golden Rule here, and behave accordingly...

Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser restrictions, encryption, kindle 3g, privacy, ssh