Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Page x of y: total or per section?

What determines whether Kobo (the Aura, in my case) displays the total number of pages at the bottom of the page, or only the total number of the current section or chapter?

I much prefer the first (total number of pages), to get an idea of where I am in the book.
But suddenly many if not all of the books I've recently added to the device display only the total number of the chapter.
I've loaded the books via Calibre. And it's a new install of Calibre on a new computer, with a new Kobo plugin, Kobo Utilities.

I'm wondering: could it be a setting in this Kobo Utilities plugin, that causes this?
If so which?
Or is it a setting in one of the Kobo device driver plugins? I have the Kobo Reader Device 2.1.2 and KoboTouch 2.1.2 and KoboTouch Extended 2.2.7 installed.
Don't know if that's necessary or whether it's harmful to have all of them, and which to prefer. Which does Calibre use if you install all of them?
And do they have a setting that can affect this?

I haven't converted or edited the (commercial) epubs in anyway, except removing drm, obviously. And I add shelf info to the metadata.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
When reading ePub format the reader displays total number of pages, when reading KePubs it displays Chapter number of pages.

There is a little tweak to make the reader display total number also for Kepubs.
You need to find the file Kobo eReader.conf
It is located in .kobo/Kobo/ which is an hidden directory.
Open the Kobo eReader.conf file with a text editor and add the following text

Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=true
(making a backup of the file before is a good idea)

Save, close and disconect the reader
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip.

Rather silly, but everytime I saw the term kepub here, I thought it simply was short for something like "epubs with DRM key". Never realized it was Kobo's proprietary format.
So I guess converting from epub to epub with Calibre would do the trick as well. But the conf thing looks easier, I'll try that.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, the easiest thing is not to use the extended driver. You had to install and enable that. If you just send the epubs to the device as epubs, they will automatically have what you want. And, there shouldn't be a need for a conversion either.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
franklekens
Addict

Yes, it works! Thank you.
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
franklekens
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, the easiest thing is not to use the extended driver. You had to install and enable that. If you just send the epubs to the device as epubs, they will automatically have what you want. And, there shouldn't be a need for a conversion either.
You mean Calibre automatically changes this pagination setting? And the Extended driver fouled it up?
I'll uninstall it then.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
You mean Calibre automatically changes this pagination setting?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
And the Extended driver fouled it up?
Nope.

Calibre doesn't touch the device's configuration. The KoboTouch driver (and my extended driver) touch the database, but not for configuration items.

The extended driver doesn't touch the pagination settings. the per-chapter display is the default that Kobo has decided is appropriate for everyone without giving us a way to change it from their interface. That's all it is. No fouling, no fudging, no contortions, no dastardly plans (unless you count world domination, I'm all in favour of dastardly world domination plans that put me in charge ) just the way Kobo devices work.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
yet, as a kepub fan, let me stress that if you read books with endnotes, the engine that renders Kepub books (i.e. hte software called when you open a kepub) will allow you to see the notes in a pop-up, which you will not be able to do with an Epub, that is rendered by a different software.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I made that change to my Kobo eReader.conf file, it did fix the page display on kepubs as they said.

But on regular epubs (which is my preference always, I stay away from kepubs), it displayed only the page number you're on and not Page X of Y. So it would read "Page 351" for instance. It could be just on the older firmware I'm using, but just so you're aware that might happen.

So I just avoid kepubs. Since I won't purchase from the Kobo store (for several reasons), it's not an issue for me. But if you do purchase from Kobo and they send you a kepub with DRM, I don't think you have a choice to convert it to epub, it's not possible to do, and you'll have to live with the kepub.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
So I just avoid kepubs. Since I won't purchase from the Kobo store (for several reasons), it's not an issue for me. But if you do purchase from Kobo and they send you a kepub with DRM, I don't think you have a choice to convert it to epub, it's not possible to do, and you'll have to live with the kepub.
well, as of late this summer, it appears Kepubs can be liberated, too.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
franklekens
Addict

But now this is strange. I understand that the "chapter x of y" per chapter instead of per book is something that the reader only does with kepubs. I started having this with a number of books I recently bought, so I assumed I'd bought kepubs instead of epubs.

From another thread, I now gather that a kepub is what you get if you buy a book at Kobo and download it to the device directly, through wifi.

But if I buy books from Kobo, I always do so on my PC. I download them in Adobe Digital Editions, import them into Calibre and sideload them onto the Aura.

So does the fact that I suddenly have page counting per chapter instead of per book have to do with Calibre after all? (Of course Calibre does *something* with the book when importing it, if only to remove the DRM in order to be able to handle the book.)

I've already edited the conf file so it doesn't bother me anymore. But I'm still at a loss as to what's happening.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you use the KoboTouchExtended driver in calibre, this will have converted books from ePub format to kEpub format.

Take a look at the LIBRARY view on the Kobo and see what format it shows the book has.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
franklekens
Addict

Oh, that's it then. I see a few books that are listed as Kobo Epub in the library.
But does the extended driver only do that for books that you bought at Kobo anyway? Because some other books I sideloaded at the same time, from other sources, are not kepubs.

Now it may have been unwise of me to just install all of the Kobo device interface plugins I could find, thinking I'd decide later which to use.
So now I have three plugins. But where can you specify which of these Calibre is to use? Or does it always use the last plugin listed in the list of plugins?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
It's more complicated than "last one in the list". The only Kobo plugin that you can install from the plugin list that's relevant to sending books to the device is KoboTouchExtended, which calibre will always use if it's installed and enabled. You can't really even say "use KoboTouchExtended for these books but not these"; the closest you can come requires a lot of changing settings and restarting calibre and selecting specific books each time.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
franklekens
Addict

Okay thanks. Then it's KTExtended that's converting books into Kobo epubs when sending them to the device. I just noticed it again today, with some out of copyright free books from other sources.
And now that I go into the plugin's options, I see the kepub listed. Should have thought of that before.

This never happened before because I probably didn't have it installed on the computer I worked with until last week. Mystery solved.