Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #1171
Whiclosselte
Whiclosselte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is it possible to install Android with this jb?
Whiclosselte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #1172
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiclosselte View Post
Is it possible to install Android with this jb?
The long answer: No

The what and why-for(s):

This Jailbreak is actually "unlocking" the ability of the built-in Amazon installer to install our packages.

The update_*.bin packages (from both Amazon and Mobileread) are "model locked" and "cryptographically signed".
This jb adds the MR signature certificate to the collection of Amazon certificates.

For any project that requires command line access to the full system image tree of the Amazon install (yours does) this jb allows you to add all the tools that are related to that.

So yes, you will still need this jb installed - both during your development of an Android Port to the Kindle and during its installation.
But for the installation and use of installation supporting tools.

This is not the first time the subject of Android on the Grayscale Kindles has come up.
Try this post to learn about how to search our forum(s) and the wiki:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Note: The COLOR display Kindles ARE Android.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #1173
Whiclosselte
Whiclosselte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note: The COLOR display Kindles ARE Android.
But they are tablets not eReaders, right?
Whiclosselte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #1174
ettescott
ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ettescott can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I have a 9017 PW2 and the "update Your Kindle" is stilled grayed out. The first time I copied the files to the root directory, I mistakenly copied the extracted "kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N" folder. I selected 'update your kindle". Apparently, the 5.4.5 update had been downloaded already, and it updated to that. I downgraded to 5.4.3.2 using the "reboot without ejecting from PC" method, which was successful. However, even now when I copy the contents of the "kindle-5.4-jailbreak" folder the "update your kindle" option is grayed out. I've tried clearing the files from root and rebooting, but no success. Thoughts?

btw I noticed after ejecting the kindle, and checking the root directory again, the .bin file is no longer present, although the two .sh files remain.

Last edited by ettescott; 08-20-2014 at 07:58 PM.
ettescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #1175
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettescott View Post
I have a 9017 PW2 and the "update Your Kindle" is stilled grayed out. The first time I copied the files to the root directory, I mistakenly copied the extracted "kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N" folder. I selected 'update your kindle". Apparently, the 5.4.5 update had been downloaded already, and it updated to that. I downgraded to 5.4.3.2 using the "reboot without ejecting from PC" method, which was successful. However, even now when I copy the contents of the "kindle-5.4-jailbreak" folder the "update your kindle" option is grayed out. I've tried clearing the files from root and rebooting, but no success. Thoughts?

btw I noticed after ejecting the kindle, and checking the root directory again, the .bin file is no longer present, although the two .sh files remain.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #1176
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
NiLuJe's jb bridge with added restoration of MKK-files for testing:
update_jailbreak_mkk_bridge_1.10.N_install.zip (+src)

Initial idea here. It's checked: KUAL worked after updating 5.4.3.2<->5.4.5.1.

Now it's possible to add in KUAL's item of copying necessary .bin, and to install them without a computer...

PS: At reset of registration will not be restore - there is no check of developer.keystore...

Last edited by kaznelson; 08-22-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: "readme" files updated.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #1177
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
My dad updated my kindle to 5.4.5 before I had a chance to jailbreak it. Is all hope lost lol? Or can someone tell me how to downgrade AND I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE EXPLAINED IN LAYMAN FORM. Thank you, all.
Zombater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #1178
knc1
Going Viral

Tell your dad he can keep it and buy you another one.
(he put you in this situation, he can keep it. )

If that does not work . . . .

Read the directions in the "how to downgrade" thread and ask for clarifications on the process in that thread when you get stuck.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #1179
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
NiLuJe's jb bridge with added restoration of MKK-files for testing:
Update_jailbreak_mkk_bridge_1.10.N_install.zip (+src)

Initial idea here. It's checked: KUAL worked after updating 5.4.3.2<->5.4.5.1.

Now it's possible to add in KUAL's item of copying necessary .bin, and to install them without a computer...

PS: At reset of registration will not be restore - there is no check of developer.keystore...
Looks good at first read.
I haven't tried it (yet).

And comes at a good time, since NiLuJe is doing some tweaking of his "snapshots" before releasing them anyway.

Doing a "restore factory defaults" will wipe this out -
but doing that wipes out most things anyway.

End user will have to join the forum to be told they shouldn't have done that (the "restore factory defaults").
Same, same as today for other things.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #1180
orphen
orphen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
So I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, firmware 5.4.3.2, Serial starting with 9017 and have attempted to use the jailbreak procedure from the main post without luck.

I've downloaded the the kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N.zip and extracted everything and then extracted the three files from the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip into my root directory. Then ejected and unplugged it. Went to the settings and the update Your Kindle option is greyed out.

I removed the files and performed a restart several times now and tried again but the option to update continually stays greyed out. I'm not sure what I am missing here. I mean this is a significantly easier process than rooting several of the phones I've done in the past but it just won't work for me.
orphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #1181
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orphen View Post
So I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, firmware 5.4.3.2, Serial starting with 9017 and have attempted to use the jailbreak procedure from the main post without luck.

I've downloaded the the kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N.zip and extracted everything and then extracted the three files from the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip into my root directory. Then ejected and unplugged it. Went to the settings and the update Your Kindle option is greyed out.

I removed the files and performed a restart several times now and tried again but the option to update continually stays greyed out. I'm not sure what I am missing here. I mean this is a significantly easier process than rooting several of the phones I've done in the past but it just won't work for me.
Try using the Jailbreak found in NiLuJe's snapshots here (I don't think the one in this thread has been updated for your serial # yet).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #1182
knc1
Going Viral

@GoSharks:
This was added last Spring:
(Bullet #4 in this case.)

It is also linked to from the "Where Do I Start" sticky:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113

Last edited by knc1; 08-22-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #1183
NexJoker
NexJoker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Whitepaper
Hello

I'm want to jailbreak my kindle paperwhite, but the current W is the 5.4.5.1
I've read that I must downgrade the FW to 5.4.3.2 version, but I cannot fin the bin file corresponding to that version (throught google or in this Forum)

Can you help me ?

thx
NexJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #1184
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Tell your dad he can keep it and buy you another one.
(he put you in this situation, he can keep it. )

If that does not work . . . .

Read the directions in the "how to downgrade" thread and ask for clarifications on the process in that thread when you get stuck.
He already has 3 kindles and frequents this forum, lol.

I managed to downgrade, yet it still stays grayed out. I have 9017 kindle.

Last edited by Zombater; 08-22-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Zombater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #1185
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombater View Post
He already has 3 kindles and frequents this forum, lol.

I managed to downgrade, yet it still stays grayed out. I have 9017 kindle.
Use the packages from NiLuJe's snapshot thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

- - - -

PS: Don't let Dad play with your toys.
And when the time comes, think carefully if he offers to "fix" your car.

Last edited by knc1; 08-22-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch