Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Teef
Teef began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thinking about the iPad....

Okay, so I have torn through two Sony readers (both being the 505 because I like them best)

First of all I need to sate that i am a klutz. There is no way around it. I slammed my first reader in a car door. I had hurriedly shoved it in my bag and as and got into the car and closed the door it fell out. The entire unit was bent out of shape.

I decide that that was my fault and i really love the reader so I get a new one. What happened to this one is that I was about to go to bed when my phone rang. I sat up - with the reader still laying on the bed and take the call. When I lie back down, I ended up rolling onto the reader. I hear the tiniest snap and when I pick the reader up there is a blanked out corner (upper left) and a few lines streaking through it.

Instead of trying to replace it again I just decide to read my books on my iphone. But it has gotten tiresome trying to read on that tiny screen so here is my question:

I have been fine with reading on my iphone 4 - I don't often read in bright lighting anyways and don't experience any strain reading with that screen - I am kind of leery about the sensitivity of e-ink screens. I've been thinking of getting the iPad 2 as a reader. What have been your experiences and what do you think?

Thanks
Teef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
If u are a big klutz, I would be worried about busting the $500+ ipad. Maybe better to stick with a cheap ereader instead, or just paper books.

I also hear amazon has the best customer service and has even replaced broken readers even when it was the users fault that they were broken.
timpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Teef
Teef began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the reply. The thing with the iPad is thatbi could get the otterbox case for it (it's the one that I have for my iPhone and I would be pretty set. I don't think that there are very many resilient cases that I could get for readers.

Also I could justify getting a $50 case for a 500+ item.
Teef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I bought a Sony 505 way back in December 2007. When Sony stopped making them I bought a back-up unit. The original reader is still chugging along despite years of abuse. The damn thing just won't die. The back-up unit is remains in a cupboard, unused.

I got an iPad 1 after seeing them in a shop display when they first came out. It was love at first sight. I keep it in a bulky but very rugged Capdase leatherette case. The case cost about $100 in Thailand but I've never regretted buying it. My iPad travels everywhere with me. The case has acquired a few scars and stains but the iPad remains pristine.

Given a choice between reading an ebook on the Sony and the iPad, I choose the iPad. My eyes are getting older and the adjustable brightness and size of the screen is a huge help. Also, I spend a lot of time on planes and in darkish restaurants and hotel rooms. The bright screen is a big help there too.

It's a bit fiddly loading ebooks onto the iPad, but no worse than the Sony and of course there's the Amazon and Borders apps (and others, depending on your country). Remember, when you buy an iPad, you're buying a Kindle as well! And of course, if Amazon doesn't have enough books for you, you can sideload mobi format ebooks into the kindle app.

Also, unlike a dedicated Reader, the iPad is capable of doing a whole bunch of other stuff.

As you can tell, I'm very happy with my iPad. I am now looking longingly at the iPad 2.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You might want to think about getting the Square Trade warranty with breakage coverage, if you do get the iPad, and it gets broken. Makes you feel a bit more confident with such an expensive item. I keep being afraid that the maids will stack too much stuff on top of the iPad, and break the screen. They don't seem to get that it could be delicate!

The iPad is too big and heavy for me to carry around all the time, but some people have no problem with it. Of course, I'm a woman, and I keep my Kindle in my purse. If you carry a briefcase or backpack, and the iPad is in a case, it should be ok.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I have had the original iPad for over a year. It's been used (and abused) by me, my wife, two small kids daily (and nightly). It has dings (and jelly) on its aluminum body but so far it is still fully functional. It is a sturdy thing.

At the same period of time, the LCD screen on my brand spanky new 17" - quad-core laptop met with a small toy wielded by my daughter and Kindle 3 decided to stay behind on a plane. This is just the electronics, I am not talking about the mayhem and destruction visited on toys, furniture, etc.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote