Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Would like the ability to go back a page by using a finger swipe

Maybe this already exists and I just haven't found it....but since the LCD side is a touch screen computer it sure would be nice to be able to go back a page (esp while browsing) by just using a backward swipe of the finger on the screen instead of having to press the back button. I am using it a lot of the time with the screen rotated to landscape, and opened up like a netbook. That puts the buttons at the top of the LCD and it's not really intuitive to reach up there for the back function... nor for the Menu, Home, etc.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
devseev
Edge User

If you install the Dolphin browser app you will have gesture support for things like this, although it's a big clunky (you have to first click on the gesture button and then do your gesture).

Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
ckole
Edge User

I believe he is referring to controlling the e-ink side like what you can do with the Nook. That would be a nice addition but not sure how it could be incorporated with the lcd side off.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
ckole
Edge User

Ok what I am saying is you use the LCD side to control the e-ink side. On the Nook you slide your finger across the LCD screen when off and it turns the pages. Clear as mud?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Interesting...
Boris you need to buy a Nook! I will give you a good deal. Ha Ha It has even been rooted so it other nifty things. Maybe in version 2 there could be some type of a touch pad on the ink side.

Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Boris you need to buy a Nook! I will give you a good deal. Ha Ha It has even been rooted so it other nifty things. Maybe in version 2 there could be some type of a touch pad on the ink side.
Yes, it is like a little edge-wannabe. So cute!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Just to clarify, my original post did refer only to the LCD side. To me it is very cumbersome to have to use the back button all the time. A finger swipe would be so much more intuitive, especially since this is a touch screen device. I originally thought about it in connection to web browsing, but the same principle would hold true in other ways. If I have a pdf or Word document open, then open the app menu, then open the browser, it would be nice to be able to go back to the previous screen (or program as may be the case) with just a swipe.
As a less-elegant solution, an onscreen back button would be better than the clunky physical button.

Joe

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturingSoul View Post
Just to clarify, my original post did refer only to the LCD side.

Joe
Ok I want both. Ha Ha... I think some of the apps individually support the swiping feature. I am referring to the 3rd party apps that people are installing. I will have to pay more attention to see if any of the ones I have now do.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
mgm1979
Edge User

wow - really? gestures on the LCD controlling the eInk side...hmmmm....man, I REALLY want this SDK to drop so that smart people could try and incorporate things like this!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

Just pointing out that others have complained about the library being on the LED side because then it can't be shut off while you're only using the ereader which causes the battery to drain more quickly. I'm not sure I'd assign a high priority to using the LED for page turning, because then no one can turn off their LED screen.

I'm all for coming up with ways to make the device better, but I personally don't have any problem with the buttons. I figure the more times I use a button, the fewer times I'm scratching/fingerprinting the screen.