Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Smoking Doubles the risk of Alzheimers

ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2010) — Heavy smoking in middle age appears to be associated with more than double the risk for Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia two decades later, according to a report posted online that will be published in the February 28 print issue of Archives of Internal Medicine, one of the JAMA/Archives journals...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1025161034.htm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
well I guess I'm doomed
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I never get above a pack a day, so I'm OK it would seem.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I never get above a pack a day, so I'm OK it would seem.
oh is that the deal? I rarely did and quit 4 years ago. maybe I'm ok!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
oh is that the deal? I rarely did and quit 4 years ago. maybe I'm ok!
You're okay in my book.
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You're okay in my book.
haha! well let's hope that is so in the dementia book as well!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
haha! well let's hope that is so in the dementia book as well!
Well, I'd check the dementia book for you but nobody can remember where it is...
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Does anybody know where I left my lighter?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
kennyc

Who are you?
Do I know you?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
UK newspaper reports :
"Pensioners who walk between six and nine miles a week are 50 per cent less likely to suffer from memory problems a decade later, they say.
They believe that exercise is the key to stopping the brain from shrinking as we age."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
UK newspaper reports :
"Pensioners who walk between six and nine miles a week are 50 per cent less likely to suffer from memory problems a decade later, they say.
They believe that exercise is the key to stopping the brain from shrinking as we age."
But what about those without pensions?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2010) — Heavy smoking in middle age appears to be associated with more than double the risk for Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia two decades later...
I quit over 10 years ago - I'm saved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Crap, I'm doomed again ....
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I quit over 10 years ago - I'm saved!!!

Crap, I'm doomed again ....
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
There was once a small Pacific island (I've forgotten the name and exact location) where the inhabitants had seen a similar problem. It was determined that many of those who had developed dementia late in life had been smokers decades earlier. But from that they concluded that smoking was a very early symptom of the disease, not the cause of it. Since dementia was such a horrendous problem for the islanders to deal with, they decided that early euthanasia was the best cure so they put all the smokers on small rafts and set them out to sea. Of course, I could be making all that up. It's a tough week, you know?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The above practice is one form of senilicide. Whether it was ever a widespread custom has been debated by anthropologists. Inuit Eskimos pop up most frequently when you google the term. The evidence is unsubstantial.

Smoking, on the other hand, is so annoying (whether accompanied by dementia, or not), one can sympathize with those contemplating strangling a relative or fellow coworker who refused to stop.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote