Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
M92: which SD / SDHC card

Is there any "compatibility list" of available SD / SDHC cards?
Are some card types / manufacturers "recommended"?
Should one "stay away" from some card types / manufacturers?

In particular, can someone share any experience (good or bad) with the "SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card (includes a full size SD / SDHC adapter)"? I'm asking about this particular model as I can get it in a local shop around the corner.

Another point is ... from a completely different device, I remember that, as soon as one inserted a SD card, the device drained more power from the battery (so the average lifetime on batteries was shorter).
Does anybody know how big this effect is in M92?

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-28-2012 at 07:37 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I have been using a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD (with SD adapter) for the past 3 weeks with no problem whatsoever and no noticeable battery drain.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I use Kingston SDHC 16 GB class 4 and Kingston uSDHC 32 GB class 4 in adapter. No problem with recognizing/reading/writing it.

I do not see any visible increase in batery drainin if card is plugged in.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Iam using a
Toshiba 16 GB SDHC High Speed PROFESSIONAL CLASS 10, SLC with no problem or battery drain

Its a white Card for my white M92 :-)
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Sayed
Sayed began at the beginning.

Device: M92
I tried sammy 32 gb micro sd class 10 in a sammy adaptor and it did not read it however my PC can see and read the micro sd if it is in a card reader
Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Could you, please, post the exact type of your "sammy" card?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I use a SanDisk Ultra - SD HCI 4GB 30MB/s

Last edited by Randy11; 12-09-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
Sayed

Sorry, it is Samsung SDHC class 10 32 gb microSD with an adapter and the fault was in the adapter as once I have changed it, it works now very well, apologies for that.

Last edited by Sayed; 12-09-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Does it make any difference using a class 10 SD card versus using a class 4?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Does it make any difference using a class 10 SD card versus using a class 4?
I don't think so. Class 4 should be perfectly fine for a "slow" device such as an ebook reader. Class 10 would be needed for a camcorder of camera needing high bit rates for writing on the SD.
Myself, I chose a Class 10 SD for the M92 so that I would be able to use it in such a device (camera or camcorder) in the future, if needed.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

See posts #168 and #170 in the "Onyx Boox i62HD. Software updates." thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Sayed

Personally, I did not notice any difference
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

I've got a new Sony SF-32N4 / SF-32C4 32GB Class 4 SDHC card.

First I did some tests on my Linux PC writing and reading back some 2GB of "typical" epub, pdf and mp3 files (organized into subdirectories, "typical" file size was several hundred kB to several MB per file).

The "averaged" writing and the reading speeds were both at about 4.5 MB/s.
The reading speed is a bit disappointing. Sony explicitly claims for this product ... "Up to 15 MB/s transfer speed; write speed lower." ... well, I've forgotten that "make.believe" is one of the trademarks of Sony Corporation while "seeing is believing" is not.

Then I inserted this card (with about 2GB of "typical" epub, pdf and mp3 files) into my M92.

Up to now (just some hours of usage) I see no problems when reading books.

There is one thing that seems strange to me.
After each power-on, the first time I try to enter the "SD Card" item on the "home screen", it takes about 7 (seven) seconds before I get the card's contents displayed (the "main" / "root" directory of this card contains just around 10 subdirectories, nothing else). Subsequent actions are "fast", however (i.e. when I "exit" the "SD Card" item / "return" to the "home screen", and then I "enter" it again, I can see the card's contents displayed without "delay"). Also traversing the subdirectory structure seems always "fast" (even on the first try).

On the other hand, a similar "problem" exists for the "Internal Storage" item. After each power-on, the first time I try to enter it, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds before I get its contents displayed (just some 5 subdirectories, nothing else).
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
There is one thing that seems strange to me.
After each power-on, the first time I try to enter the "SD Card" item on the "home screen", it takes about 7 (seven) seconds before I get the card's contents displayed (the "main" / "root" directory of this card contains just around 10 subdirectories, nothing else). Subsequent actions are "fast", however (i.e. when I "exit" the "SD Card" item / "return" to the "home screen", and then I "enter" it again, I can see the card's contents displayed without "delay"). Also traversing the subdirectory structure seems always "fast" (even on the first try).

On the other hand, a similar "problem" exists for the "Internal Storage" item. After each power-on, the first time I try to enter it, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds before I get its contents displayed (just some 5 subdirectories, nothing else).
In the setup, there is an option "Metadata Extraction". If you choose "yes", all metadata are read before opening the directory. It could be very long when you have many files. I choose "no".
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

Well, I don't believe that the "Metadata Extraction" is a problem.
As written in my post, in both cases, for the "SD Card" and for the "Internal Storage", the "main" / "root" directories contain just some subdirectories, no ordinary files, so there are no "metadata" to be extracted at all.

Actually, I am also using "No" for the "Metadata Extraction" option as my "default" setting.

I did a test now. I set "Yes" for the "Metadata Extraction" option, then power-cycled my M92.
As soon as the usual "home screen" is displayed, there appears also a new "waiting-wheel" (which does not appear if the "Metadata Extraction" option is set to "No").
Apparently the M92 "scans" both devices, the "SD Card" and the "Internal Storage", now.
This increases the total booting time by about 23 (twenty-three) additional seconds (yes, this additional "waiting-wheel" rotates for 23 seconds).
It repeats on every power-on.
To be clear, the "SD Card" contains less than 2 GB data files, while the "Internal Storage" contains something like 600 MB files with e-books.
Dashing, no?

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 02-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.