Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast
Woody_in_MN began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Upgrading Android on Edge Dualbook

I missed out on the Woot deal, but I found a couple places that seem to have the Edge Dualbook for about $120. So the information is probably out there - but I am having trouble finding it. I have a couple questions:

1) I think what is left of the Edges Dualbooks ship with Android Donut - right? That is version 1.4? What is the latest version of Android that the Dualbook can safely be upgraded to?

2) Where can I find instruction on how to upgrade the Android verson?

Basic questions I know, but I'm new to mobile devices and Android.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

- w
Woody_in_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hello, Woody!

Most of the Pocket eDGes will probably ship with Android 1.6. That is the latest official, finalized version of the eDGe OS (known as Dingo). You might find some PEs with earlier operating systems, and you might find some used PEs that have been upgraded to Android 2.2 (known as Ermine, which is a beta release from enTourage).

Because Ermine never made it past beta, it is not perfect and therefore might not be considered "safe". However, many people have successfully upgraded their eDGes (myself included), so I would say Android 2.2 (Froyo) is the answer to your question.

This forum is where you will find your how-to answers. The sticky threads at the top are very helpful, and the more time you spend reading both old and new threads here the more you will learn.

Good luck and happy browsing!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast

Thanks Filak.

Yes - after I posted this I found this sticky...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138186

It looks like KennyMinot did quite a bit of posting about upgrading to Ermine - which looks like the last beta.

SOT - I did see Woot has a 5" Galaxie on sale - but 5" is too small for my (old - almost 60 year old!) eyes.

As long as 1.6 works for a person, and the hardware works - the Edge Dualbook seems like the best deal out there for just over $100.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Woody - I received mine from Woot.com just a few days ago. While waiting for it to arrive, I read as much as I could on this forum and had pretty much decided to leave it at 1.6 since I'm not a techy and had no plans to do much more than read books and maybe browse the web just a little, plus use the external storage capability to listen to audiobooks and watch movies.

Then it got here and within hours I'd decided to attempt the upgrade to Ermine -- mainly because of a battery issue (it was draining fairly fast and I wanted to see if the upgrade improved that -- it did!).

The 2.2 has been amazingly stable for my needs. One thing I notice is the PE likes to be treated gently. I tried to add a lot of books (200 or so) to the internal memory quickly and it didn't like that one bit. Slow is better. And, actually, you don't have to load your books at all. The Calibre library file works really well on a small thumb drive -- as do audiobooks and videos. Of course, it's picky about video format -- it will play .mp4 and .3gp really, really well but that's about it, at least on mine.

I mainly wanted it to try out the e-ink experience at a low price (mine was less than $100) and I love it! I took it outside on a bright sunny morning and was able to read with no problems (unthinkable on my Nook Color lol). For inside reading, it definitely needs a light source. I bought a Kindle booklight made by Belkin and it does the trick quite well.

So, if you've just purchased one or you're contemplating a purchase, I think it's well worth the small investment. Just remember to be gentle, lol.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
rdh120
rdh120 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
hi guys,new here and have read alot about updating,but not having any luck trying to update my pe to 2.2 . used sd and usb and nothing happens.followed instructions to the T.stick card in or stick hold down menu and rotate and turn on but never see updating software and of course renaming file.formatted memory to fat 32 and nothing else is on stick.any ideas.thanks
rdh120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
DianNC, if you get an SD card - micro SD for the PE - you can load all your books on to that and read them from there if all you want to do is read.

So far I haven't found a limit to the number of books that can be carried this way - I have one SD card with well over 600 manuals and data sheets that works without any problems.

You could also get something like CoolReader for the LCD side and read two books at once well that's how I have a manual open on e-ink and check data sheets on LCD.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
You could also get something like CoolReader for the LCD side and read two books at once well that's how I have a manual open on e-ink and check data sheets on LCD.
Oooh...that sounds interesting! I see that's it's available from the android market, but alas, they won't let me download for some reason.

I definitely need to figure out a workaround for that little glitch lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Just go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...s/CoolReader3/ select which version you want and download it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast

1) People talk about the "PE". Is the PE the same as the Dual Book?

2) If you do the Ermine upgrade you can't get to Android Market apps? Is that true? You need to be root to be able to install apps? And there is no way to "root" the eDge without having another android device? (Which I don't.)

3) Maybe it is easier if someone can explain the down side to upgrading to Ermine.

Last edited by Woody_in_MN; 09-18-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
mikesmithfl
Senior Jr Member (>29)
mikesmithfl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I believe the "Dual Book" is the big bro, PE = Pocket eDGe
mikesmithfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Just go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...s/CoolReader3/ select which version you want and download it.
OK, that is a seriously useful app!!!

Wow - I got the latest version (just released this month, I think). Is that the one you have? Does yours have the parchment-type paper for reading books on the LCD side??? How cool is that??? And the page turning is lightning fast! I can think of more than one instance where this will come in very handy, so

What else ya got?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Both the 7" PE, Pocket Edge And the 10" EE, Entourage Edge Are dual books e.g. both have two screens an LCD and eInk. The 10" EE was first followed by the 7" PE.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast

I was thinking of getting the 7 inch PE (Dualbook). If I upgrade to Ermine do I loose the ability to install apps? I think I will mainly be using the eDge for Browsing, and reading second. I don't care about games. I had a Archos 70 eReader (not to be confused with the 70 Internet Tablet) and I found the Archos reader was too slow for browsing - so I sent it back. It looks like the PE has a faster chip than the Archos Reader, so I would think it would be a faster browser - not sure how WiFi effeciency wold compare.

SOT - but I was watching some YouTube tutorials on the PE, and the journal function does appeal to me - I may use that from time to time.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_in_MN View Post
1) People talk about the "PE". Is the PE the same as the Dual Book?

2) If you do the Ermine upgrade you can't get to Android Market apps? Is that true? You need to be root to be able to install apps? And there is no way to "root" the eDge without having another android device? (Which I don't.)

3) Maybe it is easier if someone can explain the down side to upgrading to Ermine.
Hello again, Woody!

1) Answered by Gunner, above.

2) No enTourage eDGe has ever been able to get the Android Market without rooting and fiddling around and serious tweaking. BUT! That does not in any way mean you cannot install apps on an eDGe. There are many sources for most of the apps you will want that do not require rooting your device or having an Android phone.

Also, the eDGes come with some apps preinstalled. You will be able to connect to wifi, browse the internet, send and receive email, take pictures and videos, play a few games (I know, you don't care about that! ), read books, use a calendar, work with Microsoft Office documents, draw and handwrite in the journal and on your books, etc. etc. all without installing anything extra or upgrading your device.

3) The biggest downside to upgrading to Ermine is the chance that you will trigger the dreaded (but rare) White Screen of Death. If you gamble and win, you get better battery life, more choice in the apps you can install, and a somewhat nicer user interface.

Hope my answers are clear and helpful!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast

Filark,

Thanks again.

1) RE: Battery Life. I read that has to do with phone and telephony services and by turning those off it will increase battery life. Or maybe there is more to it.

2) If I upgrade to Ermine do I loose the built in apps that come with 1.6 (Dingo)? I am assuming not, or someone would have mentioned it.