Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #871
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
there are a lot of blue, red and green ones which could be left out without anyone noticing they're missing i think
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but Marvin must definitely keep all of the font and solid-background colours it offers now! The incredible amount of available colours is, once again, one of Marvin's strongest selling points. Just because some of us prefer textured backgrounds, doesn't mean the choice should be reduced in any way for those users who prefer solid-colour backgrounds.

What I proposed to Kris is to subdivide the current list of colours into subcategories, because the list is very long to scroll through right now if you (for example) wish to access colours from the bottom of the list.

So, the new list of colours could include folders for shades of:
  • yellow
  • orange
  • grey
  • blue
  • green
  • red
  • brown
The colours would be a lot easier, quicker to browse this way. Also, another such folder could be set up for the feature we're waiting for: textured backgrounds. That category could be subdivided, too, if necessary: nature-emulating textured backgrounds, photographic backgrounds, textures of specific colours, custom (user-uploaded) backgrounds, etc., etc.

So let's not reduce the current wealth of the colours palette in any way. Instead, let's just organize it better. The more choice Marvin users get, the better. The important thing is to organize all the plentiful options in a meaningful way, so that they are easy to navigate and cannot confuse the user.

Last edited by Faterson; 02-13-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #872
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Maybe it's because I prefer to read with auto-scroll (when it's available), but I have always found textured backgrounds terribly distracting. I also turn off most page turn animations. Just an observation...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #873
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To each their own. A top-quality e-reader app manages to oblige everyone's preferences, without annoying, inconveniencing or confusing anyone while doing so.

A lame e-reader app like iBooks or the Kindle app, just enforces its own ideas about the reading process, without bothering to respect the reader's preferences. (After all, the main object is to make money, not to please the reader.)
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #874
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Talking

Speaking of outlandish background textures... below is the one I use in Gmail. I wouldn't use this in Marvin -- wood, yes, but light-coloured for the Day Mode, nice like in Stanza. I dislike brown, and I dislike dealing with spam -- which is why it seemed appropriate to me to choose the image of what appear to be rotting wood planks as my Gmail background texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gmail-textured_background.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	101226  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #875
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
One cool thing would be to allow variations in the colors of different textured backgrounds by sliding...like done with the warmth setting...you could provide infinite variety of backgrounds (color) set to the user preferences.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #876
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Work-around for 1000-book Dropbox API limit...

Earlier in this thread I pointed out that I was having a problem due to the limitation of 1000 books seen by Marvin in DropBox due to the limitation of the DropBox API. Dragging and dropping or using the web browser to get the books into Marvin seemed infeasible because a calibre library in DropBox has each author in a separate folder and each book in a subfolder.

I worked round this by having Calibre save all books in my library as .epubs in a single folder. Then it is easy to use Windows to drag and drop all 1000 files into Marvin via itunes. There is a link to a tutorial on this in the Marvin webpage FAQ - it is not intuitive.

It took 10 minutes to get the files onto the iPad and it took a clean install of Marvin 20 minutes to refresh the library, but that was all unattended time. With all my books in Marvin, I can now add books as I go along easily using Marvin to browse 'newest' in Calibre.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #877
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
MeSue, Yes. A split screen, or a banner at the bottom would be the way to go.

Tacty, paper/texture backgrounds are on my to do list.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #878
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Metadata view, switch fn ln in author

Is it possible to get a button in the metadata view that enables the switching of fn ln in author. Somethimes these are reversed ln fn and it takes a lot of time to change this. Is it then also possible to automatically change the author sort after a change has been made to author.

After uploading a lot of books for a vacation i noticed a lot of names were in reversed order and it took some time to correct first the author name and then the author sort.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #879
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maxjens. I added that to the to do list.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #880
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Earlier in this thread I pointed out that I was having a problem due to the limitation of 1000 books seen by Marvin in DropBox due to the limitation of the DropBox API. Dragging and dropping or using the web browser to get the books into Marvin seemed infeasible because a calibre library in DropBox has each author in a separate folder and each book in a subfolder.

I worked round this by having Calibre save all books in my library as .epubs in a single folder. Then it is easy to use Windows to drag and drop all 1000 files into Marvin via itunes. There is a link to a tutorial on this in the Marvin webpage FAQ - it is not intuitive.

It took 10 minutes to get the files onto the iPad and it took a clean install of Marvin 20 minutes to refresh the library, but that was all unattended time. With all my books in Marvin, I can now add books as I go along easily using Marvin to browse 'newest' in Calibre.
If the book I'm looking for doesn't show up in the 1000 that show up within Marvin, I just open the Dropbox app, find the book there, download it and choose to open it with Marvin. Slightly less convenient, but it's worked fine for me so far. But I do need to know the author of the book.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #881
kguil
Addict

The Dropbox app also lets you search.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #882
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
True - I haven't been using the Dropbox app enough to remember the ins and outs. Thanks for the reminder!

More important, though...THANK YOU for such a gorgeous app that keeps getting better with updates!!! My iPad Mini is now my eReader of choice because of Marvin.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #883
Wisnoodles
Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Blackberry Curve
I can't wait till the iPhone version is available. Any idea on when that may be? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #884
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Discussed earlier in this thread. A few pages back, Kris gave us the choice: a feature-reduced iPhone version soon, or a full-featured iPhone version later. Opinions seem divided as to which is the better approach. My guess would be, we could see an iPhone for Marvin version in 2 or 3 months from today.

By the way, I moved to iOS 6.1 on the iPhone yesterday after all. Originally wanted to stay on iOS 5, because of Stanza, until Marvin for iPhone comes out. I made the move because of the new Mailbox app. Mailbox looks like it could accomplish for emails, what Marvin accomplishes for ebooks -- Apple's default Mail app being as lame as iBooks. The funny thing is, I now need to wait in a line of three quarters of a million users, before the app can even be launched on the iPhone. I suppose that will take a month or so -- a unique iOS experience, for sure. But just to be able to download the app, I had to upgrade to iOS 6.

Now, here's what's amazing about Stanza on iOS 6.1 on the iPhone: as a dead app, it's even more crippled here than on iOS 5, of course. Only 1 out of 4 settings buttons is available -- trying to press another button makes Stanza freeze/crash. But: the very same book whose screenshots I posted earlier in post #774 of this thread, displays 100% fine in Stanza on the iPhone with iOS 6.1! The screen content is pushed back up again on the screen, as it should be, so no more cut-off lines at the bottom. I suppose this confirms Kris's theory that the occasional "cut-off lines at bottom" issues are a WebKit/iOS bug, instead of an e-reader bug.

It's weird how changes of OS versions can affect a dead app that hasn't been developed for years. Most of the effects on Stanza have been negative but here, miraculously, an OS upgrade "fixed" the display of a book in Stanza.

Last edited by Faterson; 02-14-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #885
kguil
Addict

Meemo, you are very welcome.

Wisnoodles, I don't have an exact date but I'm putting everything in it. I'm not making the iPhone version a scaled down version of what's on iPad. I'm trying to rethink the ergonomics from scratch. It will be worth the wait.
Closed Thread