Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Cybook Internal Memory Problem

I've found that my bookmarks disappear when a book is on the SD card so I always put the book I'm currently reading in internal memory.

I have just a little over 4 megs in my internal memory, but for some reason it reads only 233 kb available, which blocks me from adding another book. I've deleted and deleted and deleted with the only result that it went from 234 kb available to 233!! I'm on the 538 build and avoided the latest firmware updates (and the problems with same).

Anyone have any ideas I can get it to give me the 64 Megs of internal memory back?

Could there be some sort of hidden file hogging the memory?
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
I've found that my bookmarks disappear when a book is on the SD card so I always put the book I'm currently reading in internal memory.

I have just a little over 4 megs in my internal memory, but for some reason it reads only 233 kb available, which blocks me from adding another book. I've deleted and deleted and deleted with the only result that it went from 234 kb available to 233!! I'm on the 538 build and avoided the latest firmware updates (and the problems with same).

Anyone have any ideas I can get it to give me the 64 Megs of internal memory back?

Try taking all the ebooks, music and pictures off and see what your memory reading is... You should get around 54MB with just the fonts and system files in there.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Definitely sounds like a problem you need to fix. Did you ever run checkdisk on the system? Perhaps it has some recovered files that you need to erase. Also look for temp files that might be left behind.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Definitely sounds like a problem you need to fix. Did you ever run checkdisk on the system? Perhaps it has some recovered files that you need to erase. Also look for temp files that might be left behind.

Dale
I think you are right. Somehow some files which are 'not recognized' are apparently in the internal memory and not visible for me to delete them.

How do I run a checkdisk?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you are right. Somehow some files which are 'not recognized' are apparently in the internal memory and not visible for me to delete them.

How do I run a checkdisk?
Mount the device to a PC by hooking up the USB connection and then use the command line CHKDSK command. Type: Help chkdsk for the syntax.

Dale
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Kingston
Addict

Quote:
Mount the device to a PC by hooking up the USB connection and then use the command line CHKDSK command. Type: Help chkdsk for the syntax.

Dale
Thanks.

Where do I find the utility to type the command in?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks.

Where do I find the utility to type the command in?
tap start then Run...

This is the place you can execute all sorts of utilities or other commands.

Some of my favorites include:

CMD - This is the one you need here.
notepad
mspaint
wordpad

There are all sorts of things you can do with this run command.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Kingston
Addict

Quote:
tap start then Run...

This is the place you can execute all sorts of utilities or other commands.

Some of my favorites include:

CMD - This is the one you need here.
notepad
mspaint
wordpad

There are all sorts of things you can do with this run command.
Thanks again.

Can this be done on a Mac?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks again.

Can this be done on a Mac?
Don't know. Chkdsk is a MS-DOS/Windows command. But there may well be something like it on the Mac.

Derek
Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kingston,

How would you normally check a disk volume for errors on the Mac? However you do it, do the same with the disk that mounts from the Gen3. Eg, on Windows, you right click on the disk icon, select "Properties", then "Tools", then "Error checking". Presumably the Mac has something similar?

From your description, however, it seems clear that you do have a corrupt internal file system. What I'd do is make a backup of the "system" folder, then reformat the internal disk (to FAT32) using your Mac, and put the system folder back. That should fix the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Kingston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kingston,

How would you normally check a disk volume for errors on the Mac? However you do it, do the same with the disk that mounts from the Gen3. Eg, on Windows, you right click on the disk icon, select "Properties", then "Tools", then "Error checking". Presumably the Mac has something similar?

From your description, however, it seems clear that you do have a corrupt internal file system. What I'd do is make a backup of the "system" folder, then reformat the internal disk (to FAT32) using your Mac, and put the system folder back. That should fix the problem.

I've got a Windows laptop in addition to the Mac desktop. Using the Properties in Windows shows that 53.9 Megs of disc space are 'in use' even though my programs on the disc total around 12 Megs with 9.7 megs alloted to the System folder of the Cybook.

I did the error check and defrag but nothing seemed to change.

Harry or Dale, could you give me instructions on how to do what you propose on the Windows computer (reformat the cybook internal memory)?

I'm not sure how to format the internal disc on either the Mac or PC.

Thanks much!

Last edited by Kingston; 06-29-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I've got a Windows laptop in addition to the Mac desktop. Using the Properties in Windows shows that 53.9 Megs of disc space are 'in use' even though my programs on the disc total around 12 Megs with 9.7 megs alloted to the System folder of the Cybook.

I did the error check and defrag but nothing seemed to change.

Harry or Dale, could you give me instructions on how to do what you propose on the Windows computer (reformat the cybook internal memory)?

I'm not sure how to format the internal disc on either the Mac or PC.

Thanks much!
Just do a re-install of the firmware. Do not reformat the internal memory using the Mac or PC formatting tools.

Derek
Old 06-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure that will help, Derek. Reflashing firmware v708 doesn't touch the internal memory! I would suggest reformating the internal disk, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #14
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Just a crazy idea ...

Did your PC/MAC made some sort of "Trashcan" on the "USB-Drive" wich is the internal Memory of the cybook ?

Perhaps if you empty your Systems "Trashcan" while connected to the cybook the missing memory will show up.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure that will help, Derek. Reflashing firmware v708 doesn't touch the internal memory! I would suggest reformating the internal disk, personally.
Then he should re-install using Build 538 - which does a full format and re-install, including files that aren't included in the transitional updates. When he's done that, he can re-install Build 708.

I don't really think doing a full format on the internal memory of the Cybook is a 'good thing'. Really, I don't.

Note that I'm not saying I've tried it, just that I don't think it will work. And if it doesn't and he ends up with a 'bricked' Cybook, he'll then have to shell out money to have Bookeen repair/replace it.

Derek