Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
One sci-fi author (Who shall remain nameless) has been getting very annoyed at people on his blog who ask about ebook versions. It's crazy.
Name and shame. Maybe if enough people ask about them he may see the light.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, who is it?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #48
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
A New Approach to ePublishing

We considering setting up a new ePublishing business, taking on some of the best ideas out there, and invite any interested MR members.

Name will be something like Axe, Sugar&Spice, CleverNonFiction, SmallColdBird, etc.

For our readers convenience, we will invent a new and totally different DRM scheme, and will only ever Geographically restrict all books to any of the top-level country domains at random. We will change this round periodically so that potential buyers will gain access eventually. Possibly. Or then again not. Note that if a book forms part of a series, we will guarantee that it will not have the same country domain as any of the others in the series.

Since it is vital for both us and our lawyers to know all about our customers, to set up an account, customers will have to supply us with (1) a recent bank statement; (2) a recent credit card statement; (3) passport; (4) driver's licence; (5) A recent ISP statement, or some other Government issued document; (6) A signed and witnessed statement that the cusomer will NEVER look at usenet, NEVER use Google or other search engine to look for books, and that the customer will NEVER access any torrents or torrent sites - indeed the customer must declare that there is no torrent client installed on any computer at their location. Slowshare and MediaAshes are right out. Copies of any of these documents are NOT acceptable.

Customers should sent their documentation along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to us at
Customer Support Dept,
Cubby between Janitor and Coffee-machine,
3rd basement on the left.

Should we deign to reply, the welcome pack will include a pair of glasses with the special lenses required for reading our material. Unfortunately, this means that there will be a non-refundable set-up cost involved, so customers must please enclose a money order.

Customer accounts will need to be renewed at least annually, and documentation requirements will be the same as for initial setup.

All incoming emails will be promptly and accurately dealt with by /dev/null.

The company motto we are currently considering is
"Ever serve you right".

Even with this rather sketchy business plan, I'm sure we can put virtually all our publishing competition out of business if not overnight, then very soon.

We welcome any other helpful suggestions from all the knowledgable people out there (but please see the note about emails, above).

Snowman

Last edited by Snowman; 01-18-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #49
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Name and shame. Maybe if enough people ask about them he may see the light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Yeah, who is it?
I have no idea but I won't be reading that author because I only have time to read ebooks. There's too much excellent content available in digital form for me to be bothered with pbooks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #50
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
to finish your sentence: and then decide to download it illegally. Which results in a lost sale.
Err, no. I just wait for it to appear in one of the bookstores that I can buy from. I have a sufficient backlog of unread ebooks that it remains irksome rather than catastrophic. Still a lost sale though, if it never reappears in my periscope.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Err, no. I just wait for it to appear in one of the bookstores that I can buy from. I have a sufficient backlog of unread ebooks that it remains irksome rather than catastrophic. Still a lost sale though, if it never reappears in my periscope.
I would never put not being able to buy a book under the header "catastrophic", but I will try to get it at a different location if the book I want isn't available to me at my usual haunts. And as my local bookstore only has the "current bestsellers" in English, paper books are out of the question as well. (as I generally don't like those 'current bestsellers').

I find it a different situation if the authors are aware of the situation and are contemplating what to do with it. But in those cases, I might download the book from the darknet and then buy it when it arrives.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #52
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I would never put not being able to buy a book under the header "catastrophic", but I will try to get it at a different location if the book I want isn't available to me at my usual haunts. And as my local bookstore only has the "current bestsellers" in English, paper books are out of the question as well. (as I generally don't like those 'current bestsellers').

I find it a different situation if the authors are aware of the situation and are contemplating what to do with it. But in those cases, I might download the book from the darknet and then buy it when it arrives.
Oh yes - my search through alternative sites and dubious tricks to pretend to be in the USA in order to get hold of some books does border on the manic, obsessive even (curse this collecting gene). I really fear for my bank balance when ebooks really do take off and any book that I think of is available. ouch. OUCH!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #53
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I looking forward to living in the new country EUSA(-tralia). That should solve our problems.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekkel View Post
I've bought several eBooks from the UK last year, some from Penguin directly and some from Waterstones. I was very surprised (and upset, frustrated) to find out I can no longer do this, now you have to be a UK citizen. How ridiculous. So I'm willing to pay this high price for recent eBooks and I'm not allowed to any-more?
It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #55
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You should have realised by now that the large publisher strategy is to deliberately sell fewer books. Get with their program, help them out, and don't bother buying ever again!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #56
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
One option I've used successfully is buy with Paypal--not perfect, since I don't like Paypal for a variety of reasons, but it is...geographically neutral Since I live in the UK a fairly large number of books have the stupid restriction.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #57
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Actually, it's not. Sellers can determine the country of your account.

Which of course makes it even more ironic if it does work.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #58
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Hmmm. Well, to be honest I don't think the book seller really has its heart into the whole 'geographic restrictions' thing, but they are obligated to make an effort. Perhaps not a very enthusiastic effort; I imagine some of them leave nice, fat loopholes if they can; that way, they get the sale while cooperating with the publisher.
Isn't it possible to have a..what do ya call em...a proxy...to make it look like your computer is in the proper country?
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #59
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yes, but check your local law before doing that.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #60
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Yes, but check your local law before doing that.
Wouldnt standard UK law apply? I dont think there would be any local jurisdiction that would affect proxy use would there.

Actually you raise a good point, I have been assuming that in the UK its legal to use a proxy to make your connection more secure.

I mean my company use one.

However if a side effect is you arent flagged as in the Uk and are then able to buy something from an online store. are you breaking the law?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penguin, waterstones, whsmith