Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #1096
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've recently started reading more anthologies, and have started to wonder the same about quick access to current chapter title. Maybe with a single click (eg where the time, font settings etc appear), rather than being constantly visible.
Open a kepub, bring up the bottom menu and press the double-arrow. See the chapter title in the box? In pre-2.0.0 firmware, epubs also had the chapter title there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #1097
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Open a kepub, bring up the bottom menu and press the double-arrow. See the chapter title in the box? In pre-2.0.0 firmware, epubs also had the chapter title there.
Thanks davidfor - I should have mentioned that they're not kepubs. (I wonder if this is something a plugin could do?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #1098
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensoria View Post
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I'd love for the KT to display the book title in the page number footer... or have it all as a header with a line underneath, like a paper book. I read a lot of short stories, and sometimes I get halfway through a story and totally forget who and what I'm reading. :-)
Yes, this is something I'd like to see too. I hadn't realised just how often I do this with dead-tree books until I had an e-reader!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #1099
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Yes, this is something I'd like to see too. I hadn't realised just how often I do this with dead-tree books until I had an e-reader!
I "flip" to the front of the book by bringing up the navigation bar, pressing the start of the slider to get to the start, and then pressing the return button to get back were I was. It works, but it is annoying. It would be nice to have the book details screen available from within the book.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #1100
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I "flip" to the front of the book by bringing up the navigation bar, pressing the start of the slider to get to the start, and then pressing the return button to get back were I was. It works, but it is annoying. It would be nice to have the book details screen available from within the book.
Not exactly elegant, is it? Printers and publishers have spent centuries working out the solutions to these problems - why do we have to reinvent every wheel just because we are using a new way to produce the written word?
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #1101
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"why do we have to reinvent every wheel just because we are using a new way to produce the written word?"

Because two things that are equal are not necessarily the same, Grasshopper...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #1102
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
"why do we have to reinvent every wheel just because we are using a new way to produce the written word?"

Because two things that are equal are not necessarily the same, Grasshopper...
My inner materialist cringes at that comment ...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #1103
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh, heh.

Imagine for a brief moment that instead of the printing press Gutenberg had access to E-ink technology -we'd be "reading" files transmitted into our cybernetic implants by now and complaining how limiting it was to actually have to physically use our fingers to select things when it's so simple to use one's mind to reprogram the interface and use it any way we like.

My inner engineer and techweeny jumps triumphantly into the air and high fives the simulacrum of a ten foot tall basketball center it has conjured for just this occasion.

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-09-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #1104
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Heh, heh.

Imagine for a brief moment that instead of the printing press Gutenberg had access to E-ink technology -we'd be "reading" files transmitted into our cybernetic implants by now and complaining how limiting it was to actually have to physically use our fingers to select things when it's so simple to use one's mind to reprogram the interface and use it any way we like.

My inner engineer and techweeny jumps triumphantly into the air and high fives the simulacrum of a ten foot tall basketball center it has conjured for just this occasion.
That point is taken. All I was referring to was the issue of putting titles/authors at the top of pages - something that works effectively. At the moment it feels like someone is trying to move the arrangement of the pedals in a car for no good reason. In terms of being able to modify the information available, and/or how it is presented, I absolutely agree that there is some way to go, and that there are some wheels that need to be reinvented, or at least go from spoked ones with iron tyres to alloy ones with Pirellis ...
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1105
TechniSol

I hear you. I haven't looked into it, so if it has already been done please think me not too large a fool for suggesting it, but a lot of the things we gripe about could probably be fixed with a more complete file definition or standard for epub or an extension of epub and a standard set of options that we could choose to allow the file to define or simply override in the reader and have stored in our personal copy of the file. People are always complaining about margins, fonts, line height, etc. The ability to override them and any other CSS should be part of every reader firmware, IMHO. If I configure my reader for a margin setting, I want that setting, not one defined by someone who may have not rendered the file for my device or preferences. I guess you load the book, have a look, and then determine if you want to apply your standard settings or go deeper into a menu to apply custom settings for just that book, and so on.

What I'd like to see is standard settings or HTML tags that cover things like page number display, location, title or chapter display at page tops, alternating or fixed(every page), paragraph indentation, justification, etc., and the ability to add your comments & markups (annotations) to the file so it becomes part of your epub and could exist cross platform on whatever device is reproducing the file. I realize DRM concerns may make the last difficult, but the ability to annotate and comment in a common format would be great for any number of books that could be distributed electronically even if the standard was defined and the data stored in a separate file with the books name and some other file extension, etc. Better yet, define as much as you can in the standard and then a way to add extensions to the format that could be defined within the file. Probably mostly good just for user defined display fields, but they could be manipulated like other metadata types of fields.

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #1106
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

That was a wonderful post, TecniSol. It describes my wishes so eloquently. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #1107
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Now that we have series info, I would love to be able to sort the books also by series.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #1108
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
Now that we have series info, I would love to be able to sort the books also by series.
The series info is included as part of the title when sorting. It uses:

<series name> <series number> <book title>

What I am hoping for is a Series list. This would look like the Shelf list, but show all the series with the number of books in each.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #1109
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
1. Add an option which cound disable showing the page number at bottom.
2. TOC in tree fomat, can expand and fold according to TOC levels.
3. Let customer to customize fonts for web browser.
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #1110
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Travelling with an eReader

Most people like their eReader because it is much easier to pack on holiday than the tomb-stone that they are only a few pages from finishing. With that in mind here are a few suggestions that would help travellers:

Translations: You already pack a great translation dictionary into the Kobo. Why not have it accessible from the Extras menu so that we can access it quickly, type in a foreign word or phrase and have it translated. Currently we would need to enter a book, open the base menu, select Translate Word, choose a dictionary, type the word and hit GO to get the translation. If it could remember the last dictionary used that would also be helpful.

While on the topic of translation, I guess it is used by people who already speak more than one language and need help with just one word, as you wouldn't bother translating a whole book. For us mono-linguistic dunces, the translations we are most likely to use are English-Latin. I would still like this dictionary added to the kobo. Even though it is a dead language it is still used heavily in literature (Nieche, Chaucer, Shakespeare etc.).

Maps: I would love a maps feature so when visiting a foreign city I can find my way around. I know I could create a pdf of a map and download that but I would have to have the Kobo on all day. What would be great is if I could download map tiles from OSM (public domain Open Street Map) and navigate between them by swiping. While in map mode, if I turn the unit off it would be great if the Kobo could still display the map at the current size and location - like it would with a book cover.

Saving Web pages from within the reader: There are all kind of content that you may want to access while travelling (flight schedules, weather, what's on, places of interest etc.). While staying in a hotel with wifi the Kobo is great for access these on the web but I currently can't take that information with me as I explore the city. It would be great to be able to save pages from the Kobo web browser that I can access while I'm out of range of WiFi.

Chess: Off the topic of travel but I love the new chess game that you have added in the latest release of firmware. Now I can take chess with me everywhere - YEAH! Would it be possible to export games in PGN format so that I can analyse them when I get back to my computer?

Just some suggestions. I hope you like them.
DragonflyKing is offline   Reply With Quote