Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Best Book Store for EZ Reader

I'd like to buy myself some books before I get my Pocket Pro but, I'm new to this. I want to be ready to put a couple of books in mind on it as soon as it's ready to go. If it matters I'm looking for American Gods and Anansi Boys both by Neil Gaiman. Copy of World War Z would be a plus but I'm reading the pBack now.

While it's a subjective question, I hoping I can ascertain who's better than the rest. It seems like it's tons of stores and I can barely tell one from the next. I ask cause the only three choices I know, are currently dedicated to their own brand/models or bent on you installing software on a computer or phone. I'm not sure if these things matter but it's what comes to mind.

1. Best format for device.
One thing is, I am not sure what's turning out to be the best file type on the Pocket Pro. Lit files look, like something you wouldn't want to pay for that much I know. Most rumblings I hear make it sound like PDFs just don't cut it on a 5" screen. I know there are two types of DRM. One may be the non loved type of DRM but I haven't heard it answered.

2. Formatting of files from store.
I figure different stores do different things to the files they cook up for the books. Possibly there's something just doesn't like. Maybe they all get what they get from the publisher and it's all the same I don't know. If not though, who has the quality stuff, and who's giving you junk files you just live with.

3. Cost.
I always thought the selling point of digital distribution would be less resources used so saving get passed to consumer. Pbbt. With games and music, I've notice that's not true. But with so many bookstores out there I figure someone has to be killing the others as far as price goes. Maybe there is a store with deals for buying books!

4. Selection.
That could be a issue. I'm not sure if all these stores get the same deals. Maybe some publisher turned it's nose at someone. Again, I'm fresh.

There probably is a list somewhere ranking them all that I haven't seen or something I bet. Sorry for being a newbie.

Also is there anything else a newb might need to know? I'm reading the faq, on the website, but it's not general.

Last edited by Xerxes; 09-28-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
One thing is, I am not sure what's turning out to be the best file type on the Pocket Pro.
The ONLY DRM format that the PocketPRO currently supports is Adobe's ADEPT encryption for EPUB and PDF. There has been a promise made that the eReader DRM format from Barnes & Noble will be supported in the future. For books that I convert from other formats to read, I like the FB2 format. But, everyone has their own favorite NON DRM format.

I will leave your more qualitative questions for someone else, since opinions can vary a lot. I wil just add that I generally just buy books in whatever format that I can find for the book I want, and from whatever store is willing to sell it to me, and then strip the DRM to format the book the way I want it. That is something that a lot of people probably do not have the time or inclination to do though.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'd like to buy myself some books before I get my Pocket Pro but, I'm new to this. I want to be ready to put a couple of books in mind on it as soon as it's ready to go. If it matters I'm looking for American Gods and Anansi Boys both by Neil Gaiman. Copy of World War Z would be a plus but I'm reading the pBack now.
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=508746
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...book&BOOK=7223
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=128324

Quote:
One thing is, I am not sure what's turning out to be the best file type on the Pocket Pro. Lit files look, like something you wouldn't want to pay for that much I know. Most rumblings I hear make it sound like PDFs just don't cut it on a 5" screen. I know there are two types of DRM. One may be the non loved type of DRM but I haven't heard it answered.
For DRM you'll want either EPUB or PDF (unless you want to buy files, remove DRM and convert them). Personally EPUB would be the choice if it were me. For DRM Free books I'd look at EPUB or Mobipocket.

Quote:
I figure different stores do different things to the files they cook up for the books. Possibly there's something just doesn't like. Maybe they all get what they get from the publisher and it's all the same I don't know. If not though, who has the quality stuff, and who's giving you junk files you just live with.
Retail stores get their files through a distributor for the most part so if they're using the same distributor they be selling you the same file, which resides on the distributors server. An exception would be Fictionwise with their "Multiformat" offerings as they're in effect the distributor for those as well as retailer.

Quote:
3. Cost.
I always thought the selling point of digital distribution would be less resources used so saving get passed to consumer. Pbbt. With games and music, I've notice that's not true. But with so many bookstores out there I figure someone has to be killing the others as far as price goes. Maybe there is a store with deals for buying books!
I find it's best to shop around. If looking for EPUB I'd check Books On Board, Shortcovers and possibly Diesel Ebooks and see who's got the best deal.

Quote:
4. Selection.
That could be a issue. I'm not sure if all these stores get the same deals. Maybe some publisher turned it's nose at someone. Again, I'm fresh.
I've found Books On Board to usually have the best selection of EPUB books.

Quote:
There probably is a list somewhere ranking them all that I haven't seen or something I bet. Sorry for being a newbie.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

You can find lots of great info in the Wiki...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Xerxes
Addict

After making this post found it at Gaiman's publishers bookstore about half off than booksonboard. Seems it's going to be shop around type thing. Seems like so many stores though.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
After making this post found it at Gaiman's publishers bookstore about half off than booksonboard. Seems it's going to be shop around type thing. Seems like so many stores though.

Well, at least you are located in the USA where they will actually let you buy the books that you find and want. Some of us can only look, and then be told to go away.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
As with anything else, one store won't have everything you want.
And some books may only be available in some formats.

Calibre is your friend.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yep, looking around is a must. A while back Harper Collins (Gaiman's publisher) started listing some ebooks at double the list price of their print counterpart. Looks like they changed that for Gaiman's books, but the price change hasn't filtered through to Books On Board yet. If it was me I guess I'd email Books On Board and see if I could get them to change the price. If you ever need support they'll be much better than Harper Collins, at least in my experience.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:

While it's a subjective question, I hoping I can ascertain who's better than the rest. It seems like it's tons of stores and I can barely tell one from the next. I ask cause the only three choices I know, are currently dedicated to their own brand/models or bent on you installing software on a computer or phone. I'm not sure if these things matter but it's what comes to mind.

3. Cost.

4. Selection.

Also is there anything else a newb might need to know? I'm reading the faq, on the website, but it's not general.
Since you're near a big city in the U.S., check out your public library. Many have good ebook selections and they're free. PDF and Epub will work on your PP and mobipocket can be converted to work if if you choose to remove the DRM.

Here's a link: http://hadc.lib.overdrive.com/D2B6D3...en/Default.htm

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Since you're near a big city in the U.S., check out your public library. Many have good ebook selections and they're free. PDF and Epub will work on your PP and mobipocket can be converted to work if if you choose to remove the DRM.

cheers
I second that with the Library. I use the NYC Public Library for ADE/Epub all the time.

I use Fictionwise and Ereader.com for most of my purchases. I have been playing with the various formats with Calibre and so far Epub, Mobi and FB2 work the best for me.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
Wow... I forgot about the library. I'll have to check out that out when I get a chance.