Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Besides the Kindle DX, what other large-screen readers are coming?

I'm very interested in the Kindle DX just because of the larger size screen. I know there has been a lot of talk about other larger screen readers coming this year...

Before I break down and go for the Kindle, what are the other readers that we know of that will be releasing a larger-screen reader and what is the time frame and cost relative to the Kindle DX?

Thanks in advance.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Check out the Plastic Logic reader.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html

In my opinion, Amazon beat them to the punch.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The screen is from PVI, and should be available to anyone who wants it. There is a question of glass vs plastic (flexible), and Amazon seems to have gone with glass (Robertb on plastic vs glass).

Bookeen has expressed interest in the past in producing a large screen reader.

The Netronix roadmap lists Q1 2009 but that must be pessimistic and others (e.g. Robertb) have said these may be available in the fall (First glance at Astak's Mentor line).

The Hanlin V9 has been featured on their web page forever, but they don't quote a delivery date and it has apparently been redesigned (EZ Reader Ture??).

The Astak Spectrum probably uses the PixelQi LCD screen and will likely be available early next year.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-06-2009 at 09:50 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Hearst Corporation is developing a wireless large screen e-ink reader. I don't know when it will be available.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote