Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Kobo fonts naming conventions and embedded fonts

Hi

This is a fork of a previous thread, which was about Kobo font naming conventions and side-loaded fonts. This new subject about embedded fonts maybe deserves its own thread because the problems encountered seem more complex.

I copy here a previous message of mine which will initiate this new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that this is a restriction only when adding your own fonts to a Kobo ereader, it does not strike me as overly onerous.
I agree with you that the Kobo naming convention is not overly onerous when you add, once in a lifetime, a side-loaded font to your Kobo. Alas, it's not the only restriction. It also apply for embedded fonts.

Forgive me for this. I will give you an 'onerous' example. You'll understand then better why I am a little sensitive about this question...

After publishing on MR two months ago a batch of 45 EPUB (it was a v2 of my 2012 work) I realized later that if I wished them to be displayed as intended on Kobo ebook readers, I had better rename and/or tweak all of my embedded fonts...

As it's usual for embedded fonts, it was of course not complete fonts but small subsets of the main ones. In each book I embedded the same four fonts: a special font for dropcaps (Linux Libertine Display), another one for smallcaps, a Regular and Italic one.

While the ADE rendering engine copes well with all these fonts and manages to display them precisely, Kobo's chokes on them. The only way I found to display my books as intended on Kobo is using PDF (I also publish each book on 6 and 9,7 inches PDF).

Here is the link to these books (in French).

I still struggle with this and would appreciate any help.

Last edited by roger64; 05-09-2013 at 06:33 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote