Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #196
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The one I gifted my sister had one of those specks. I call them holes in the screen, no idea what they really are. I know that speck would have driven me insane, but my sister is OK with it. Thank goodness, as I offered to her that we swap devices!

For me, the darker the screen, the more I see the color blotches. I wish it were the other way around, like for you guys, since I never have the light up too bright.
Wow really? You notice the hues more when the light is lower? That surprises me.

As for the glowing speck, I had one on an earlier PW that drove me nuts. That one went back. It was right in the line of text so I always saw it when reading. These two are very small (the pic makes them look bigger) and they never fall in line with the text so I never see them. I really only see them on the home screen when the book in the far right corner has a dark cover. I would notice them sometimes when I turned a page, but I haven't lately. Should the PW that arrives tomorrow be worse somehow, I'd be ok keeping my current one. Overall the screen is really nice on it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #197
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On a side note, the new 3G PW I'm expecting appears to be from a newer batch. It's a 602, the one I have currently is a 502.
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #198
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
On a side note, the new 3G PW I'm expecting appears to be from a newer batch. It's a 602, the one I have currently is a 502.
The 603-batch for the non-3g seems to be fairly good. So there is deffenitely hope. Good luck

Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #199
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
The 603-batch for the non-3g seems to be fairly good. So there is deffenitely hope. Good luck

Thank you!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #200
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Actually, now that I am looking at it in full lighting, it looks bad no matter what the lighting is. I only have it brighter in the daylight, so, duh, of course I did not see the blotches as badly
When I first got this one, it had very, very, very faint blotches - at times, I almost could not see them. Now, there are bruises on my screen

The pictures make it look a bit worse than it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture001.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	100434   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture003.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	100435  
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #201
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Actually, now that I am looking at it in full lighting, it looks bad no matter what the lighting is. I only have it brighter in the daylight, so, duh, of course I did not see the blotches as badly
When I first got this one, it had very, very, very faint blotches - at times, I almost could not see them. Now, there are bruises on my screen

The pictures make it look a bit worse than it is.
You could try again to get a better one. People seem to be having better luck as of late.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #202
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I would be worried I'd get a refurb at this point, but now that Sparkle is still getting Andrew's attention, I am thinking about contacting him.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #203
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would be worried I'd get a refurb at this point, but now that Sparkle is still getting Andrew's attention, I am thinking about contacting him.
I would. The newer shipments seems to have better quality control. No reasons to settle with something that bothers you while it still under warranty.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #204
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Wow really? You notice the hues more when the light is lower? That surprises me.
Interesting. I only noticed hues when the light was lower as well. I never saw them on the mid-to-high light settings.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #205
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope they bring out an updated Touch non-lighted version next Fall. I like my Touch, but the screen has always been too dark. I will never buy another PW style reader with the light layer. That layer might be okay for many people but it definitely is a degradation when viewed with my eyes. I like the higher resolution of the PW and everything about it except that gawd awful layer of plastic that blocks my clear view of the eInk screen. Surely there is a much better way to light a reader than what the PW uses.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #206
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I hope they bring out an updated Touch non-lighted version next Fall. I like my Touch, but the screen has always been too dark. I will never buy another PW style reader with the light layer. That layer might be okay for many people but it definitely is a degradation when viewed with my eyes. I like the higher resolution of the PW and everything about it except that gawd awful layer of plastic that blocks my clear view of the eInk screen. Surely there is a much better way to light a reader than what the PW uses.
What plastic layer? Maybe you had a bad unit. The text on my Paperwhite is crisp and clearer than any of my Kindles. It's the former Kindles that look horrible to me now. I can't read on them, it hurts my eyes.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #207
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Well, my replacement finally arrived. As I mentioned before, it's from the 603 series so I had high hopes that I would get a nice unit this time. Unfortunately, while the light does seem whiter (and yay, no glowing specks this time), there seems to be this big green bruise right behind the text.

I got this replacement because of restarting problems with the old Kindle. When Amazon sent me a replacement, they told me not to bother sending the defective one back. I did a reset and kept reading on the old PW and the problem hasn't returned yet so far so now I have two PW's.

Uploading pictures of both here. The 501 PW has a very pink/reddish hue (with bits of green near the middle left) while the 603 is mostly green/white with a pinkish cast near the top. Can't say which I prefer although at this point, I would be hesitant to contact Amazon about yet another replacement. If they would let me send the defective ones back, I might, but seeing as how they are letting me keep the defective one, I don't want them thinking I'm abusing their generosity and risk getting my account banned in the process.

I've already deregistered the 501 (and have no plans of re-registering since it might already be a blacklisted unit at this point). I'll be using the 603 for a while to see if the green blob is not as bothersome as it seems but right now, I actually think the 501 has a more even light despite the pink tones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	603.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	100439   Click image for larger version

Name:	603-1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	100440   Click image for larger version

Name:	501 on left, 603 on right.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	100441  
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #208
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Well, my replacement finally arrived. As I mentioned before, it's from the 603 series so I had high hopes that I would get a nice unit this time. Unfortunately, while the light does seem whiter (and yay, no glowing specks this time), there seems to be this big green bruise right behind the text.
Ick! That looks horrible! I'd be calling for another replacement and send the two back.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #209
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Haha thanks, Blossom, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so :P Unfortunately, since I don't live in the US, they don't want the defective ones back so I'm afraid they might think I just want to keep collecting free Paperwhites.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #210
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To repeat yet again, the light diffuser is a diffraction grating, and colour fringing is inherent in it. Your photographs look absolutely fine to me, but if you find the colour fringing objectionable, there's absolutely no point in getting another PW. The colours may be different, but they WILL still be present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote