Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
anniesahu1
anniesahu1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Exclamation PE stuck in turning on mode....PLEASE HELP!

So, my PE is stuck on the turning on mode. I turned it on and its stuck on that for a while now. The tablet side was 'Pocket Edge...' but now its just a black screen and E-Ink side says "Initializing". I tried holding the Power button and also the Reset button, nothing seems to be working. Any help would be appreciated!

anniesahu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
See the following thread or this thread

You can build a serial cable and open up the PE to see what the issue is, but most likely you'll need to reflash it. The PEs seem to use flaky ROMs and either get bad blocks or partitons on the ROM get hosed when shutting down or losing power. The latter is what happened to me twice.

Last edited by tekknogenius; 12-28-2011 at 12:08 PM.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Another thing, is your battery fully charged and have you tried your unit with it connected to the power?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
reset button should turn it off if kept pressed for 10 seconds?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
anniesahu1

What Do you mean by I need reflash it?
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
anniesahu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
See the following thread or this thread

You can build a serial cable and open up the PE to see what the issue is, but most likely you'll need to reflash it. The PEs seem to use flaky ROMs and either get bad blocks or partitons on the ROM get hosed when shutting down or losing power. The latter is what happened to me twice.
What do you mean I need to reflash it? What does reflash mean? Sorry I am kinda new so...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
anniesahu1

I have tried everything above, nothing is working!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesahu1 View Post
What do you mean I need to reflash it? What does reflash mean? Sorry I am kinda new so...
Sorry. I mean you need to reflash your device by putting the operating system back on it. If your PE is acting like the way you describe there is probably little hope for recovery. My PE was stuck at three dots. It turned out that the data partition went belly up. No way to really recover (well if I had a backup I could have restored that partition and all should have been fine). Without seeing what's going on during boot time you will not be able to say for sure what your problem is, and even then it usually means to reflash the operating system as the only resolution.

There are a couple threads which I've listed earlier that you should take a look at to see what I am talking about. Also, since your PE is most likely going to require a reflash, check out the thread on the Golden Allmine Update Thread. You get extra bells and whistles with that one, namely more application storage and google applications and market.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Last edited by tekknogenius; 12-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesahu1 View Post
I have tried everything above, nothing is working!
It looks as if you will have to use the serial cable to clean up what is the problem - either memory or corrupted file system.

Look for the thread in which nikki gives instructions for making the serial cable.

If you don't feel confident to do some soldering to make the cable you could print out the instructions then see if someone from the local tech college or electronics repair shop can make one for you.

Above all, read the instructions on what to do carefully and if there is anything you don't understand ask. Many of us are here mainly to help others with problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

also check my thread regarding unborking, bad sectors etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
mtambo
mtambo began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket edGe
anniesahu1, it sounds like you may not be so tech-savvy, or at least not PE-savvy yet. I think the serial cable bit is pretty advanced and probably more trouble than it's worth without a pretty high level of geekery. If you're very set on keeping everything you had on your PE, well, then the serial cable route is probably your only option, and not guaranteed at that. If, however, you just want to be able to use your PocketEdge and are OK with losing all your data and apps and starting fresh, I think you'll have a much easier time re-flashing it. If that's a route you're interested in going, I'd say do the following:

1. Get a paperclip, unfold it, and use one end of it to depress the "reset" button on the top of the eInk side of the PE. Hold it down for 15 or 20 seconds.

2. Fully Charge the PE.

3. Go here: http://edge.ympsa.com/ and download "PEGoldenAllmine" ( http://www.edge.ympsa.com/PEONLYGold...eErmineRC3.zip )

4. UNZIP this file on your computer (with something like 7-zip or winzip). You will see 2 files after unzipping. One titled PE-GA.zip and another that is a .txt file with instructions.

5. Place PE-GA.zip on the root (main) directory of a usb flash drive or a microsd card. Rename it to update.zip .

6. Download this file: http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-hd...114-signed.zip and rename it to gapps.zip . Place it in the root drive of your flash drive or microsd card, alongside update.zip

7. Go here: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/PE-GA-README.html and follow the rest of the instructions from number 2 onwards. (I overlapped and rephrased instruction 1, as I had some trouble realizing that the initial .zip file needs to be unzipped first. Wanted to save you the same trouble.)

I just recovered a device from what sounds like exactly the same problem you're having. The procedures above got me through it and I am now happy to report a fully functioning, happy Pocket Edge. I hope you can report the same soon!

Side note: If you haven't already discovered it, Titanium Backup is a fantastic program that is highly recommended here for good reason. Once you get your PE up and running, I highly recommend downloading, installing, and creating a full backup with it that is saved to a microsd card or some other external media in the event that you need to recover again. It made my recovery much much easier.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, it's worth it!

-Mark
mtambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
vicinc
Guru

and if this fails, use the serial method.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
rrozzi
rrozzi began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
mtambo...
I hate to sound like an idiot, please bear with me... my edge is doing the same thing - freezing at the initializing screen. I've completed steps 1 & 2 already w/the same thing happening.
How do I proceed to step 3? Open this link where? On my home computer since I'm stuck at the initializing screen?
rrozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozzi View Post
mtambo...
I hate to sound like an idiot, please bear with me... my edge is doing the same thing - freezing at the initializing screen. I've completed steps 1 & 2 already w/the same thing happening.
How do I proceed to step 3? Open this link where? On my home computer since I'm stuck at the initializing screen?
Downloading of the update files should always be done on your home computer. That way you can check the download is OK and from there, transfer to a USB stick - after you have read the instructions through completely a few times just to be sure you understand them.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
GiGi4010
Pocket Virgin
GiGi4010 is on a distinguished road

Device: entourage pocketedge
My hats off to all the helpful people out there willing to share their knowledge and help those of us less fortunate. Today a big kudos goes out to Mtambo for the above help/fix on the pocket edge stuck in start up..... I found myself in that position and followed his directions to the letter and got myself and my edge back in the game.... not gonna lie though I was scared for a little while. Thank you so much...really didn't need another door stop!
GiGi4010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help now!, pocket edge, stuck