Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
djprescott
Enthusiast
djprescott began at the beginning.

Device: None
Underlines reinstated by Kindle converter

Hi all

I have a completed epub file that I want to convert into a Kindle-ready file. In the epub I have managed to remove the underlines from hyperlinks by tweaking the html.

I am running it through the kindle previewer to convert, but this seems to add the hyperlink underlines back in.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Many thanks in advance
Dan
djprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I have the same problem as you. In the TOC, I remove the underline of the hiperlinks, then I force the <a> tags to display as blocks and finally I add a dotted border bottom to that tags. I do that by adding in the .css file the following code:

Code:
a {
  text-decoration: none;  /* to eliminate the original underline */
  border-bottom: 2px dotted blue; /* a new dotted underline */
  display: block; /* so the underline goes from margin left to margin right */
}
In the epub all works fine, but when I build the mobi/kf8 file with Kindlegen, the original underlines are there again (and the dotted border too). I couldn't find a solution for that issue; I think it's must be a bug of Kindlegen.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
djprescott
Enthusiast

That's very frustrating indeed, as my client is insisting on having no underlines!

I wonder if anyone could confirm if this is indeed a bug, or if there is a workaround...

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Questions about Kindle eBook development belong in the Mobi forum, to where I'm moving this thread.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djprescott View Post
That's very frustrating indeed, as my client is insisting on having no underlines!
Insistence does always make something possible (let alone wise) ... just saying. Inform your client that without the underlines, people reading his/her book on black & white eink devices will have almost zero indication that a hyperlink even exists.

And just for the record: experience, knowledge, and expertise are best garnered BEFORE "clients" enter the picture.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2013 at 07:59 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
djprescott
Enthusiast

I'll take that as a dig at my level of knowledge

As it happens, I'm helping a friend out with their ebook so I am still learning too. Client was perhaps the wrong word.

Ta
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djprescott View Post
As it happens, I'm helping a friend out with their ebook so I am still learning too. Client was perhaps the wrong word.
Best of luck to you and your "friend," then. Tell them not to be so bossy about things.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What visual indication does your friend want to use to indicate that a text string is a hyperlink? There has to be something, or else how can the reader know it's a hyperlink? It's not like reading on a PC, where a change in the shape of the mouse pointer provides visual feedback.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
djprescott
Enthusiast

I think I've managed to make a convincing case to her for them going back in. Phew