Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How can I root my Nook HD+ via microSD card?

I've been to the XDA Developers site and read the posts on rooting the HD+. I find the process very confusing and cannot figure out which files to download as there are several choices. I'd like to root using a microSD card rather than EMMC. I would appreciate a straightforward tutorial (Step 1, Step 2... Download these files- with links). I do not want to buy a pre-made card. Thank you.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Why don't you save yourself the effort and download the N2A mod onto your own SD card for $19.99?

https://www.n2acards.com/
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Why don't you save yourself the effort and download the N2A mod onto your own SD card for $19.99?

https://www.n2acards.com/
Personally (and this may not be valid for OP at all!) I wouldn't do that because I suspect that what they are offering against a fee is the fruit of other people's work that they have don for free.
It is an option though if you really, really don't want to "dive in" yourself
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand your POV but also that what's being paid for is the convenience of not having to do the work yourself, especially if you're going to require the degree of handholding that the OP seems to be requesting.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
What work? Download four files, install SD card imaging software, create image on SD card, copy two files over to SD card, insert and boot from SD card, press about five buttons, reboot, done. Takes about ten minutes for most people. A half hour to an hour if you're not the least bit familiar with the process and read through everything in detail, depending on your technical abilities.

Also, while the N2A card option works great for many people, many don't want to have to reboot every time they want to do something outside the B&N sandbox.

Everything you need, including instructions can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

Good luck.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
I've been to the XDA Developers site and read the posts on rooting the HD+. I find the process very confusing and cannot figure out which files to download as there are several choices. I'd like to root using a microSD card rather than EMMC. I would appreciate a straightforward tutorial (Step 1, Step 2... Download these files- with links). I do not want to buy a pre-made card. Thank you.
Are you wanting to use the microSD to root stock, or to run CM from the microSD card? If you're wanting to root stock, use the instructions in bfollowell's link above. If you want to leave stock untouched and boot CM from the microSD card, you'll want this thread instead.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
What work? Download four files, install SD card imaging software, create image on SD card, copy two files over to SD card, insert and boot from SD card, press about five buttons, reboot, done. Takes about ten minutes for most people. A half hour to an hour if you're not the least bit familiar with the process and read through everything in detail, depending on your technical abilities.

Also, while the N2A card option works great for many people, many don't want to have to reboot every time they want to do something outside the B&N sandbox.

Everything you need, including instructions can be found here:

Good luck.

- Byron
Oh, I agree that it may not be work for you or for me or for a lot of people on this forum, but I've got friends who would be stumped at the "install SD card imaging software" step - if not at the "what is an SD card/what kind of SD card do I need?" question. I've dealt with folks who have no technical abilities whatsoever when it comes to anything involving computers and believe me, they can't accomplish anything like this within a half-hour to an hour.

The OP was asking for someone to supply him/her with step-by-step instructions. My point was that if they can't figure out the clear instructions that are already available, perhaps attempting the process themself is not the route they should be going and just getting the prepared card would save them a lot of time and aggravation.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case then, yes, I agree. I wouldn't be telling them to purchase/download an image for $19.95 though. If that's the case, they probably just need to purchase a pre-made card ready to plug-in and go.

- Byron
Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Downloading the image is actually the cheapest way; the prepared SD cards cost more, with the N2A ranging from $29.99 to $59.99 for the HD+ depending on the size of the card you want, while the "Root My Nook HD+" costs from $25 to $55. The download price for the N2A is the same if you're putting it on an 8GB, 16GB or 32GB card of your own.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic

Oh, no, I got that part. It's just that you said the people you were dealing with wouldn't even be able to install the image writing software, so how would they be able to put the image on the sd card if they can't install software? That's why I suggested that, if I were dealing with someone that tech-challenged, I'd probably steer them towards purchasing a pre-made card. That's all.

- Byron
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
With the addition of Google Play on the Nook HD and HD+ most people will agree that it is no longer necessary to root the devices. If you consider yourself not "savvy with computers and such" then there is no real reason to root. Can you tell us what you need root for?

I wanted Google Play(which is now available on Nook since a few weeks back in a firmware update)but I also needed to side load several apps that are only available as apk. For that..I needed to have Unknown Sources accepted on my HD+. It is no longer necessary to root to enable unknown sources on the Nook HD and HD+. There are several other things that can be done without needing root access. I used this thread

I downloaded sdformatter from the web to format an old sdcard that I had in the closet.
I also downloaded Win32DiskImager from the web and installed it on my computer and used it to install the following image file onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1368660885

after that was created I just drag and dropped the following zip onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...4&d=1367889100

My nook was powered down and I inserted the card and let the Nook boot up and installed the zip. It is not complicated at all. Most people think that they need "root" to enjoy their Nook. I had to root my old nook tablet to get it like I wanted it but the new Nook HD and HD+ are much better(IMHO)and don't need it.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Hm. If you simply want to install apps not in the B&N store, you don't need root to do that anymore. Root comes with several irritations that may or may not be worth dealing with for you, notably the random reboots.

If you really and truly want to root it, my suggestion is to take a few weeks and re-read the posts several times. They're very dense and have a lot of information there, so treat it like an assignment or work policy - you need to remember and understand this. It took me about 3 weeks of re-reading threads in XDA and running through the process in head, and then another week of trying the process and then I finally got root. Oh, and the most important thing - buy a Sandisk SD card. Seriously, don't bother with any other brand.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I used this very simple guide:
http://www.babblingengineer.com/how-...eader-monster/

Honestly, if you can't follow it, you probably won't benefit from rooting your nook. The Relauncher app that comes with the Nookmanager program cited in the above link is pretty non-graphical and non-intuitive.

Actually, I've seen vids of people with pretty Nook-Android desktops and I'm not sure how they get that. I guess they are not using NookManager. But the Nook doesn't have a lot or Ram resources, so I suppose the shiny front-end will dig into that. Still, it is pretty, lol.

Edit: Oops. I was talking about the STR. Didn't notice the thread was about the HD+.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
bfollowell
Fanatic

I agree with Rizla. There are several very easy procedures to follow and they don't take several days or weeks to read through and understand for most technical people. If you can't read through them and get a grasp of them in anything short of an hour or two, you probably don't have any business attempting to root in the first place and you probably don't have the need and wouldn't benefit from it.

Like Rbneader mentioned, with access to the Google Play store now, most users have no need to root their Nooks anymore. This doesn't gain me what I need and I still need access to several root directories that I need root access to get to. Admittedly though, I'm the rare user. Most don't need this level of access.

That being said, I can go from stock with a brand new, clean SD card and be fully rooted in less than thirty minutes and my HD+ is extremely stable after rooting. I've never experienced the first random reboot.

I use a PNY SD card lately but have used others and I've never had a problem with any of them, though I've read of others that have. Other brands will work but going with Sandisk is never bad advice. They do make great cards.

- Byron
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Raven2099
Raven2099 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
I'm a lot like fredlave..

i'm that if i BUY one of these so caked root hacks that i'll be ripped off with a bricked tablet that was packed with viruses and malware

i myself would prefer the do it myself step by step method that way if i screw up only i am to blame and not some ass wipe hackers trying to make a few bucks
Raven2099 is offline   Reply With Quote