Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #256
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Interesting to see how this fares in person up against the Paperwhite. The technical side looks spot on; wonder if Kobo have sorted out their software this time around.

Really nice looking e-reader.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #257
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Have they gotten rid of that "processing content" message that just won't go away when you side load books?
I haven't seen that since quite a few firmware updates ago. Which version are you on?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #258
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I haven't seen that since quite a few firmware updates ago. Which version are you on?
I haven't had a Kobo in a long time I was getting sick and tired of the "Processing Content" message all the time. I have to admit the new HD is very tempting
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #259
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I saw it only on pre-order.

Can I ask how pdf books look on Aura? Is it possible to read without zooming?

I downloaded this http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Class...I/CalcIII.aspx and opened it on the Aura. It is possible to read without zooming, font is small but not tiny. Diagrams and equations are all easily readable. I would feel comfortable reading properly formatted PDFs on the Aura.

I also tried a not so well formatted novel, it was readable but the line spacing was larger and the text was only on one side of the page. This obviously is the fault of the file. When I tried zooming in and moving around the page the ghosting was pretty bad when set to a 6 page refresh. Setting to a 1 page refresh made things a bit better.

There is a box in the top left hand corner that shows where you are on the page which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to read the top left corner Maybe there is a way to turn this off, I don't know.

I hope this helps.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #260
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Interesting to see how this fares in person up against the Paperwhite. The technical side looks spot on; wonder if Kobo have sorted out their software this time around.

Really nice looking e-reader.
They haven't, check the forums for detailed bug feedback. We are going to get liquavista or, even, mirasol, first, before kobo sorts out their software.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #261
melonfresh
melonfresh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Interestingly, Collins Books is not listed on the Aura's Where To Buy page.

Since they were Kobo's Australian distributor when the Glo came out, has there been a change of distributor down here?

I thought I saw an Australia price quoted somewhere, as well as availability, but can't seem to find the post...
Officeworks now carry the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo, this isn't stated on their Glo's Where To Buy page either, but they are also the cheapest places to buy Kobo's products Perhaps shoot them an e-mail to see if they'll be stocking it on release here?
melonfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #262
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I saw it only on pre-order.

Can I ask how pdf books look on Aura? Is it possible to read without zooming?
If you have superman vision, maybe

I think reading pdf even on a 10" device is a little tough. You need to at least crop the margins.

The good news is from the review video, the aura handles PDF well. There's a minimap, you can pan around smoothly, screen doesn't refresh and flash as you pan around, and when you go to next page it retains your zoom.

If you plan on reading a lot of technical documents, I think you want a bigger device.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #263
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I wasn't planning on buying a new reader but I must admit to being tempted. It would be nice to have proper shelves manageable via Calibre again instead of the Kindle Collections Manager work around. Before I do buy I'd like to know what colours are available in the ultra slim sleep cover. Has anyone found any information? I've only seen the black mentioned whereas I'm hoping for a purple cover and an ivory reader.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #264
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
They haven't, check the forums for detailed bug feedback. We are going to get liquavista or, even, mirasol, first, before kobo sorts out their software.
The Aura HD has only just reached the very first customers. I haven't seen any comments so far on the quality of the Aura HD's firmware.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #265
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Be very interested in what the new owners have to say. Am having problems with my Sony T1 and am not interested at all in the T2 whose only difference from the T1 appears to be those goofy buttons.

Am I correct in assuming I'll be able to load my Sony books as well as non-DRM books onto a Kobo?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #266
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Be very interested in what the new owners have to say. Am having problems with my Sony T1 and am not interested at all in the T2 whose only difference from the T1 appears to be those goofy buttons.

Am I correct in assuming I'll be able to load my Sony books as well as non-DRM books onto a Kobo?
I have my Sony books sideloaded as well as some DRM free ePub purchases on my other Kobo readers. I am sure I will be able to do the same on the Aura when it gets here.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #267
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
You are correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #268
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Can you point out which forums have detailed bug feedback for the Aura HD? Inquiring minds are eager to know. After all, even a troll should be able to supply some facts to back their claims.

Liquavista? Haven't heard anything about their products since Samsung bought the company a couple of years back. I had hoped to see the display used in a Samsung phone but so far, nada.

Mirasol? The Kyobo ereader was discontinued over a year ago, the Hanvon C18 seems to have disappeared and the other two Mirasol display ereaders I've seen mentioned on Qualcomm's web page seem to have gained little if any traction in any market. Possibly since the only pricing I saw was for the Koobe unit which was around $510Cdn.

Regards,
David

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-22-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: removed a line.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #269
kontrabas
kontrabas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Asus EEENote
Just by browsing this thread (it is way to long to really study it ) I hoped to find any user to have posted screenshots or a video review of the aura; somehow I don't find those by the good-e-reader informative nor trusty. However, I haven't been able to find any posting of a user review. Can anyone point me to a user review if it exists? It would be great to see it side by side with another reader. The good-e-reader team did this, I know, but in not really informative fashion.
kontrabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #270
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Try this thread.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote