Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle DX and back ache?

Hi, sorry for this weird posting but since receiving my DXG last week, with the (heavy) amazon cover, I've been waking up with muscular pain in my upper back - just below both shoulder blades.

This coincides exactly with me starting to use my DX to read in bed at night. Now this hasn't happened with heavy hardcovers before... Anyone else experiencing this? Do you people rest the DX on something (say, belly) while reading in bed or hold it with your arms extended? Trying to find out...

The DX is a great device, but it's kind of heavy, especially with the cover attached. I'm probably holding it like a laptop rather than like a book.

Thanks!

g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Haven't noticed it, but I've been weight training for 30 years. I have the Noreve cover which is probably just a little bit heavier than the Amazon cover.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

No backaches. But I read either reclined with the DXG resting on my belly or I place it on my desk. It can cause my arms to get tired if I try to hold it without somehow resting it on something. I mostly use it for reading large format PDFs so it isn't a problem to place it on my desk since I'm usually taking notes and looking up references from other sources. I don't think I would want to use the DXG for all my casual reading. For me it is a special purpose reader to help me in my research.

It does make me wonder about the iPad though as the iPad is 1.5 times as heavy. Other tablets are at least that heavy. If people use them for all their reading they might develop Pop-eye arms! Or more likely, we will see a whole set of muscular and skeletal conditions arise and eventually be called the tablet syndrome. Texting has caused carpel tunnel in many teenagers. So it will be interesting to see what the long-term medical implications are for tablets/slates.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
It's 1lb 2 ounces. Far heavier than the K2/K3 but lighter than most everything else.

I do feel the heft when reading, but deal with it. Plus, I hate "covers" and just simply use a slide in case. I certainly don't need the additional heft and weight of a cover. I just use the KDX naked and slide back in the case when I'm done.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I read my ebook devices lying on my side, with the reader resting on the mattress - couldn't imagine lying down and holding up the reader. Otherwise I read with the reader in one of the covers with a "photo frame foot" on the book - it stands on a table, or is propped up in my lap on a pillow (paper book reading pillow or cushtie). I'm too lazy to hold a book/reader
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I curl up on my side in bed to read, prop the DXG either on the mattress or a pillow, wrap my left arm all the way around the Kindle and rest the fingers of my left hand on the next/back buttons and then just click as needed. This method works great for me. I also make a comfortable nest of down pillows so I don't end up with any neck or back pain from spending a couple of hours reading every night.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I prop my DXG against a "Peeramid" pillow so I don't have to hold it. I've also thought about getting a Thai book rest from Levenger, just haven't gotten around to ordering yet.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not noticed any problems. I hold it with one hand, sometimes I have it propped on my legs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks for the feedback. I bought it mainly for my research (PDFs) but I'm liking it a lot for bedtime reading. I will:
-prop it
-get a wifi only k3 for nightime literature reading
-definitely get rid of the heavy amazon cover - I just ordered a slip case from: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm

thanks again
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote