Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
First author to sign an eBook Reader?

Hello

Last Tuesday, I went to Montreal for a meet with Canadian Science Fiction author Robert J. Sawyer. I had him sign his latest book, titled Watch, the second in a trilogy. I also asked him if he'd want to sign my eBook Reader, in which I had loaded his FlashForward book... and he did!

He proceeded to show the people at the meet what an eBook Reader was, and asked someone to take pictures of the signing of the eBook since it was his first one

Couldn't have asked for a better Canadian author to autograph my Sony Reader
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Very Cool!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Huh. That is very awesome. And that photo makes it look HUGE. The Giant PRS that wanted to take over the world.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Neat idea, now if I ever meet an author I'd like to have sign my reader..
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
That IS cool!

I don't think there'd be room to autograph my 700, because the back is covered with "If found"... "Reward"... my phone number etc. stickers! I guess I'm kinda' paranoid of losing mine. I lost my first digital camera with precious pictures on it that are forever lost and it was very painful. Don't want to go through that again if it can be prevented.

Does make me wonder who I'd want to autograph mine... that's still alive, anyway.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Cool!

I think I'd get them to sign the cover, rather than the reader itself!

Hrm... I'm going to a talk by one of my favourite authors next month... do I try my luck Might take the fine sharpie just in case

Didn't Nate the Great get an author to sign his reader, too?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Didn't Nate the Great get an author to sign his reader, too?
I'd like to know, maybe we could start a new thread, like the "autographed eBook Reader Club"

Thing is, I also wonder how many authors out there would sign an eReader. Certainly not all of them are opened to eBooks in the first place, but I'd do it anyway just to see their reaction..

With Robert J Sawyer, it was a "safer" bet, after all, he's a sci-fi author (and he does briefly mention eBooks in his latest, "Watch")...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
I'd like to know, maybe we could start a new thread, like the "autographed eBook Reader Club"

Thing is, I also wonder how many authors out there would sign an eReader. Certainly not all of them are opened to eBooks in the first place, but I'd do it anyway just to see their reaction..

With Robert J Sawyer, it was a "safer" bet, after all, he's a sci-fi author (and he does briefly mention eBooks in his latest, "Watch")...
So I went and searched for it - he not only got an author to sign his Kindle, it was an author who said they wanted o punch someone for reading on a Kindle! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...736#post600736
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
So I went and searched for it - he not only got an author to sign his Kindle, it was an author who said they wanted o punch someone for reading on a Kindle! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...736#post600736
Hah that is really nice, and the story behind the signing is killer
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, definitely not the first. I remember someone getting their Sony Reader signed by Corey Doctorow years ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, definitely not the first. I remember someone getting their Sony Reader signed by Corey Doctorow years ago.
Nate also had the somewhat infamous (for some around these quarters), anti-ebook Sherman Alexie sign his Kindle back near a couple of years ago too, though he later stated he was "beginning to regret having asked".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Cory Doctorow was willing to sign my kindle but i figured it would just end up rubbing off so I bought the dead tree book and got that signed.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Nate also had the somewhat infamous (for some around these quarters), anti-ebook Sherman Alexie sign his Kindle back near a couple of years ago too, though he later stated he was "beginning to regret having asked".

Cheers,
Marc
As I said in post 8 Although not with so many links...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well, in my defence...Hey! Look at that exciting thing behind you! [runs away]
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Am, I guess he was being supportive and backing you up!? Telling everyone how right you were.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote