Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #31
horrormall
horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Also, I have Calibre, but it seems to do me little good, as I can't see what these conversions do on a Mac. I'll have to invest in all readers just to do this properly.
horrormall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
So using a PC is worse to you than outsourcing the conversions and losing control over the process? Seems quite a weird business logic to me.
P.S. you can run Windows on Macs too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #33
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
So I take it that chances of getting the entire Necroscope series in ebook is going to be pretty slim.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormall View Post
Also, I have Calibre, but it seems to do me little good, as I can't see what these conversions do on a Mac. I'll have to invest in all readers just to do this properly.
Calibre is pretty good for conversion and management, but for creating ebooks I still like Mobipocket Creator. Alas, it's Windows only.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #35
horrormall
horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
So using a PC is worse to you than outsourcing the conversions and losing control over the process? Seems quite a weird business logic to me.
P.S. you can run Windows on Macs too.
Not a logic, but a simple preference, much the same way some on this forum hate DRM or prefer one format over another.
horrormall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you can create a well formated .html version of your ebook, you can convert that to Mobi, LRF and ePub using calibre.

Also, for the Mac, calibre will view all of those file formats. Also, Stanza from Lexcycle will view many ebook formats on the Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #37
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
The digital access key is only for PDFs and you do not have to ever re-registered your file again. If you read the FAQs, you'd note that it stated you only had to log in to the file with a user name and password once every 365 days.

As for losing sales left and right, please understand that digital downloads are a very small fraction of the business done here.

But it'll grow and we'll evolve.
Think about the first statement from a reader/purchaser point of view and you'll see why the second is true. To keep reading the book, you must keep track of and keep re-entering the password info. I don't know about you, but those passwords have a tendency to disappear from my desk, eventually, especially if you wait a few years between re-reads. Unless, of course, the books are so unmemorable (or awful) that a re-read isn't an issue.

The third will depend on whether you change to attract a wider audience. Sure, a few will steal your books (then again, every print copy is read by many, many more people than paid for it, as well, for the average book). As a few authors have found, there is a price point at which most people won't steal your work (some will, even if it is "free") and making 10% off of 1,000% more in sales is actually more profitable, even at a sale price of 10% of the print cost ($10 book, eversion at $1, but instead of 500 sales, you get 500,000 .. and yes, there have been examples of this happening). Also, without DRM, the publishing cost drops as well (since that has to be paid for). Going to a multi-format solution will also help, since otherwise people have to attempt to convert from the PDF (which can look ok, but often looks pretty terrible).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #38
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Another cool thing about horror mall, is if you buy there, some of the stuff comes with bonus stuff. I just ordered Unhappy endings, and got an audio file usable on the kindle of Brian Keene (the author) reading one of the stories.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Another cool thing about horror mall, is if you buy there, some of the stuff comes with bonus stuff. I just ordered Unhappy endings, and got an audio file usable on the kindle of Brian Keene (the author) reading one of the stories.
Does the Kindle version have DRM? Can we add in our ISP email address and get the eBooks sent there so we can use Calibre to convert to something else?

The problem here is that while there are Kindle editions, the rest of use get PDF which we don't want and won't purchase. The nice extras are useless if the main book is useless which it is for those of use not using a Kindle.

And as long as DRM has to be added to the eBooks, we will get this sill PDF with expiring password nonsense and no decent reflowable format for those of us without a Kindle. So as I see it, they don't want my money. That's fine. I'll just spend it elsewhere and let them see how wrong they are in offering just PDF to most people. And by that I mean that there are more non-Kindle readers out there combined then there are Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #40
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Thats the same as arguing that amazon.com's kindle books dont work on your sony. Why dont you go complain to the sony store that us kindle users cant use the books sony sells.

Give me a break. Whine whine whine.

Especially since this is the kindle board, and was never even brought up or adverstised in the sony forum.

Geez.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #41
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It does seem like a strange way of doing things, but they are pretty cheap! Possibly a good way to pick up some horror fiction.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #42
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
I'm always willing to support new ventures. As a SK fan who is branching out, I'm heading over to take a look. I appreciate you have taken the time to answer your critics. I'm also a Mac fan who can't who Mobi :-(
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarrunner71 View Post
I'm always willing to support new ventures. As a SK fan who is branching out, I'm heading over to take a look. I appreciate you have taken the time to answer your critics. I'm also a Mac fan who can't who Mobi :-(
If the Mobipocket eBook was DRM free, you would be able to load it onto your Kindle no problem. Also, if it was DRM free, you could convert it to ePub, LIT, LRF or HTML using Calibre. So if it was DRM free Mobipocket being offered instead of PDF, it would be a win-win situation for all involved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #44
nascarrunner71

Hey, Shane! I think your website looks great--critics of all the black, remember his audience. I found it very easy to navigate. I even stumbled away from the ebooks and discovered some cool items, including autographed SK books--if you've got the dough (I'm saving up!) Shane, any word on Jack Ketchum going "e"? I also double-checked the prices against Amazon and they are, for the most part, lower.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #45
nascarrunner71

"If the Mobipocket eBook was DRM free, you would be able to load it onto your Kindle no problem. Also, if it was DRM free, you could convert it to ePub, LIT, LRF or HTML using Calibre. So if it was DRM free Mobipocket being offered instead of PDF, it would be a win-win situation for all involved."

I understand, but I was addressing Shane's comment that he can't use Mobi on his Mac to convert his books. I also have this problem. Everyone says convert files using MOBI, MOBI, MOBI! It doesn't work on a Mac, and yes I know you can run Windows on a Mac--but I own a Mac because I HATE Windows. I haven't found Calibre that user-friendly, but I'm new at this. I'm still learning.

Tags
darkside digital