Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #1
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Monte Cristo 5 after Factory Reset, no automatic dictionary

After doing Factory Reset on my MC5, I have no auto dictionary access for selected words.

The desired word highlights in the text, but instead of going to the dictionary, a Close (X) and a Search symbol appear at bottom right. Pressing the Search symbol fetches an Actions menu that does NOT include a Dictionary choice.

In Settings>Application>ManageApps there is no running Dictionary, but there is an AppInfo entry for 'dict' of total 14.68 MB and offering options to 'Force Stop' or 'Disable'.
So it is running but also not running?

Pressing Apps>dict invokes a keyboard and search bar which accesses either an "English explanatory dictionary (main)" or "Oxford English ... 2nd Ed P1"

How can I get this manual lookup process be automatic when I highlight a word in the text?
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Maybe try a full update?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Maybe try a full update?
A surprising thing you discover after you've bought an Onyx Boox model is that there are no updates.
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry5 View Post
A surprising thing you discover after you've bought an Onyx Boox model is that there are no updates.
Yeah, but this is one of those "second channel" devices.
It's not listed on https://shop.boox.com/
I don't understand this business model either.

What is the exact name of this?
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.product.model
adb shell "getprop | grep finger"
Old 12-02-2023, 12:01 AM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
This is one of those models made for the Russian market. The latest update is from January of last year 2022-01-20_19-37_2.1.2_5b90d57 (can be downloaded at: https://onyx-boox.ru/support/boox_monte-cristo5).

Just download the file and transfer it to the Boox device. Then go update it in the settings. Do a factory reset afterwards.

The instructions also state to do a battery recalibration.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2023, 05:17 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
can be downloaded at:
I'm getting a 403 Forbidden for anything in that domain.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:04 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm getting a 403 Forbidden for anything in that domain.
Works well for me
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Works well for me
I'm clicking on your posted link.
Code:
curl https://onyx-boox.ru/support/boox_monte-cristo5 -v
*   Trying 88.212.206.101:443...
* Connected to onyx-boox.ru (88.212.206.101) port 443
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
* ALPN: curl offers http/1.1
* ALPN: server accepted http/1.1
* using HTTP/1.1
> GET /support/boox_monte-cristo5 HTTP/1.1
> Host: onyx-boox.ru
> User-Agent: curl/8.4.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
< Server: nginx
< Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:35:26 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 146
< Connection: keep-alive
<
<html>
<head><title>403 Forbidden</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>403 Forbidden</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
* Connection #0 to host onyx-boox.ru left intact
This link works fine though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_sandwich
Old 12-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Works well for me
Works here (Waterfox Classic, current Chromium & Firefox), though it makes little sense. Though the Wikipedia article seems strange.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-02-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Though the Wikipedia article seems strange.
It is strange.

I get a 403 on my Android phone and my desktop.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #11
parkaymang
parkaymang began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Page
Quote:
I'm clicking on your posted link.
Code:
curl https://onyx-boox.ru/support/boox_monte-cristo5 -v
* Connected to onyx-boox.ru (88.212.206.101) port 443
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
* ALPN: curl offers http/1.1
* ALPN: server accepted http/1.1
* using HTTP/1.1
> GET /support/boox_monte-cristo5 HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/8.4.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
< Server: nginx
< Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:35:26 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 146
< Connection: keep-alive
<
<html>
<head><title>403 Forbidden</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>403 Forbidden</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
* Connection #0 to host onyx-boox.ru left intact
This link works fine though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_sandwich
Try this?

Code:
$ curl https://onyx-boox.ru/files/montecristo5/update.upx -v
* Connected to onyx-boox.ru (88.212.206.101) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN: offers h2,http/1.1
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
*  CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
*  CApath: /etc/ssl/certs
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Encrypted Extensions (8):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, CERT verify (15):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.3 / TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
* ALPN: server accepted h2
* Server certificate:
*  subject: CN=onyx-boox.ru
*  start date: Oct 23 13:29:24 2023 GMT
*  expire date: Jan 21 13:29:23 2024 GMT
*  subjectAltName: host "onyx-boox.ru" matched cert's "onyx-boox.ru"
*  issuer: C=US; O=Let's Encrypt; CN=R3
*  SSL certificate verify ok.
* using HTTP/2
* h2h3 [:method: GET]
* h2h3 [:path: /files/montecristo5/update.upx]
* h2h3 [:scheme: https]
* h2h3 [:authority: onyx-boox.ru]
* h2h3 [user-agent: curl/7.88.1]
* h2h3 [accept: */*]
* Using Stream ID: 1 (easy handle 0x55d480fe7680)
> GET /files/montecristo5/update.upx HTTP/2
> user-agent: curl/7.88.1
> accept: */*
>
Love those sandwiches
parkaymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkaymang View Post
Try this?
Nope. It get me the identical response (except for that "files" bit).

I prefer a turkey club or a Reuben.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #13
parkaymang

Quote:

I love salt beef the best!
Old 12-02-2023, 11:53 AM   #14
parkaymang

Quote:

archive has it

https://web.archive.org/web/20230530..._monte-cristo5

https://web.archive.org/web/20230530...to5/update.upx
Old 12-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkaymang View Post
archive has it
Thanks. I don't really need it though.
I'm just wondering why the site is forbidding me.