Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-16-2023, 08:58 AM   #16
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I used the link on the first post. I ordered the Magnetic cover bundle from Hong Kong and it's taken a week to arrive.
So, that means that you have it?
Could you test this please? (It doesn't harm anything.)
Code:
C:\>adb reboot bootloader
C:\>fastboot getvar secure
C:\>fastboot reboot
And if you really want to go for the gold, try to get the HWID and Hash using EDL.
You don't have to load a Firehose loader but you can try if you like.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:32 PM   #17
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I had to use a Windows box as my Macbook Air M1 didn't even recognise the thing.

As I rebooted with adb reboot bootloader, it rebooted into the Onyx logo (which I presume is the bootloader). Other ADB commands like opening a shell on the device are recognised.

However, when I type the Fastboot commands on the bootloader screen the only prompt I get is
Code:
< waiting for any device >
which indicates that the device is not being seen in the bootloader mode.

It disconnects and reconnects on its own every 15 seconds or so. It's shown on Windows's Device Manager with QUSB_BULK:SN[SerialNumber].

In order to leave the fastboot mode I held the power button for some time, until the tiny blue LED light embedded on the power button flashed a couple of times, and then it went back to the system. I've been able to repeat this, so it should be safe if you want to try something more.

Last edited by Logseman; 05-16-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 06:06 PM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Other ADB commands like opening a shell on the device are recognised.
Thanks for trying. When you got a shell was it # or $?

It's strange that "reboot bootloader" gave you ADB. Maybe you were in recovery?

Have you used EDL before? You can use the Python EDL client in Linux without a driver or in Windows with either a Qualcomm driver or a WinUSB (Zadig) driver. You can use my native Windows EDL client with the WinUSB driver.

You just need to invoke the client to see something.
Code:
$ edl.py
For my client (in the sig).
Code:
C:\>edl.exe /l
Old 05-16-2023, 06:16 PM   #19
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The shell was non-root ($).

I've managed to have the reader recognised on the MBA. I did manage to reboot into bootloader as well (the fingerprint was also recognised and worked), but fastboot commands were not processed either. It didn't show the "waiting for device" message, but it simply never got to show any output from fastboot getvar secure.

I've never used the EDL thing: my Android tinkering days are from the beginning and the middle of the last decade, so I'm a wee bit rusty If you can link me some documentation on EDL I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:26 PM   #20
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
If you can link me some documentation on EDL I'll give it a go tomorrow.
http://www.temblast.com/edl.htm
Advert
Old 05-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #21
Logseman
Orisa

So far, my findings:

1. adb reboot edl works as intended
2. Zadig created a WinUSB driver
3. Output of edl.exe /l:
Code:
Found EDL 9008
Serial: intentionally hidden
HWID: 001860e100000000, QC: 001860e1, OEM: 0000, Model: 0000
Hash: d40eee56f3194665-574109a39267724a-e7944134cd53cb76-7e293d3c40497955
I'm not even sure which Qualcomm processor this lad is using, so I'll wait for your instructions before I look for any loader.

Last edited by Logseman; 05-17-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:03 PM   #22
Renate
Wizard

Thanks! That is a "QCS_AGATTI".

You might try this loader.
Just see if you can find the GPT:
Code:
edl.exe /l0014d0e100000000_d40eee56f3194665_FHPRG.bin
edl.exe /u /g
edl.exe /z
(That first line is slash-ell-zero-zero...)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:11 PM   #23
Logseman
Orisa

Unfortunately it doesn't take yet:
Code:
Resetting Sahara
Serial: 
HWID: 001860e100000000, QC: 001860e1, OEM: 0000, Model: 0000
Hash: d40eee56f3194665-574109a39267724a-e7944134cd53cb76-7e293d3c40497955
Sending 0014d0e100000000_d40eee56f3194665_FHPRG.bin 100% Ok
Waiting for Firehose... No response, poking...
Could not write device
Importantly, no other command beyond the status-read from /L seems to work.
Code:
PS PATH> ./edl /i
Found EDL 9008
Configuring... No response
PS PATH> ./edl /g
Found EDL 9008
Configuring... No response
I can't even reboot it with /Z because it says there's no response. It still can be rebooted via long-press of the power button, so I can still work on it.

Last edited by Logseman; 05-17-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:41 PM   #24
Renate
Wizard

Thanks for trying.
The other commands (/g, /z) are Firehose commands, so if the loader doesn't work...

In the ADB shell
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Don't quote it all, just the number of cpus, one of each block that is different and the last line.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:43 AM   #25
Logseman
Orisa

Code:
Processor       : AArch64 Processor rev 4 (aarch64)

processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 38.40
Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer : 0x51
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant     : 0xa
CPU part        : 0x801
CPU revision    : 4

Hardware        : Qualcomm Technologies, Inc SCUBAPIIOT
There are also processors 1, 2 and 3 for the other cores, with the same features, implementer et al.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #26
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Code:
Hardware        : Qualcomm Technologies, Inc SCUBAPIIOT
That's the same SoC as the Poke4 (lite) and the "Livingstone 2".
I guess that they meant the name as in SCUBA-PI-IOT.
This is half the performance of the Poke3 with SDM636.
OTOH, the actual performance could be about the same if they never keep all the cores busy.

I'd try SDM636 loader and SDM855LA loader
Old 05-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #27
Logseman
Orisa

Both loaders returned

Code:
Sending file.bin   0%
End transfer returned error 12
Old 05-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #28
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox leaf 2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
OTOH, the actual performance could be about the same if they never keep all the cores busy.
SDM636 has 4 fast cores based on A73. I think it could be like 50% faster for a single core task. Switching to QCS2290 is a downgrade, its GPU is probably weaker too. But maybe it is not so important for e-book reader.
popej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #29
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Code:
Both loaders returned
Sorry, thanks for trying.
If a loader isn't found that would dampen my ardour for this device.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:14 PM   #30
Logseman
Orisa

I think the first loader you gave me is the good one.

On the USB 2.0 ports of my Windows box I got the "Could not write device" error I showed before.
On the USB 3.0 ports the error is different:
Code:
Found EDL 9008
Could not open device
The different connectivity issues make me think that the cable is relevant. I have not been using the device's cable so far, but a different one. I think trying with the OEM cable could pay off.